Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"If I get corona, I get corona."

edited March 2020 in Off-Topic
Ah, youth. Maybe this kid is confusing the disease with the beer:
"At the end of the day, I'm not going to let it stop me from partying,"
https://washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/19/coronavirus-spring-break-party/

https://usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2020/03/19/spring-break-beaches-florida-look-packed-despite-coronavirus-spread/2873248001/

This reminds me of Jaws when the mayor waited too long to close the beaches because he thought it would be bad for business.

Comments

• Does anyone go to a spring break destination seeking wisdom?

My wife was talking about such people earlier today. She reads articles about how hard it is to communicate the situation to these young people. I reminded her that we never went to such places. Nor did large numbers of our contemporaries.

I'm willing to bet that large numbers of college students today still avoid such destinations while enjoying their avocado toast over spring break. ;-)
  • edited March 2020
    Kids generally think they're immortal. But the responsible thing to do is to shut the beaches down entirely. Even if few of them get deathly ill, they will be like Typhoid Mary to the rest of the population--carriers.
  • Can't fix stupid. While Miami has closed South Beach the mayor of Clearwater apparently has never seen Jaws. They announced yesterday that they would close the Clearwater Beach beginning Monday, March 23rd. I believe they're thinking that a 5-day delay will give them enough time to suck all the money remaining from the dumbasses on the beach. While the beaches will be closed nearby bars and eating establishments will be allowed to continue to remain open as though there is nothing going on in the world.
  • Howdy folks,

In Italy it's a fine for this, but if you have tested positive, they are arresting you and charging you with manslaughter.

For the youth who contracted it in China, it seems the souvenir is decreased lung capacity of 20 to 30%. They're not sure if it's permanent.

Hope they enjoyed spring break.

Alas and alack,

Flatten the Curve

Peace

Rono
  • edited March 2020
    If this pandemic becomes as bad as predicted in the U.S., I think the face of Brady Sluder, the inebriated kid that said that, will eventually be in a history book beside one of Alfred E. Neuman with the caption--"What, me worry?" or "Dude, I just obliviously killed thousands of people." He kind of looks how you might expect Bart Simpson to look like when he "grows up."
  • @LewisBraham -- kids do generally think they're immune and immortal, and Millenial exceptionalism may be a confounding factor here...and COVID19 was initially noted as only really impacting the old. Toxic brew for foolish stuff.
  • edited March 2020
    @Shostakovich Actually, I think he's Generation Z: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z
    Many Millennials are in their 30s now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
    Also, I find it dubious to attack Millennials especially as entitled as they actually came of age during the 2008 recession, graduating from college when everything was falling apart. My own take is many American kids in the Post World War II era have long been rather dumb, or, at least, immature. I could just as soon imagine kids in the 1950s and 1960s partying on that Florida beach as the ones today. We have never been a particularly serious nation.
  • Mighty proud parents, no doubt!
  • LB, in all of your wise words of perspective and context and historical awareness, I do feel that you have insulted Bart

this dude is rather more like Dolph or Jimbo

• 'good evening, dumbasses'

• Hope that video shows up when HR folks do pre-employment screenings...
  • I love it. This guy gets it. Everyone's freaking out and he's tuned it all out.
  • edited March 2020
    @davidrmoran It's funny, but as I was writing that I thought in reality Brady Sluder more resembled a different Simpsons' character, but I couldn't remember Jimbo's name! I guess he could also resemble the school bus driver, too.