Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bernie Sanders possibly running against President Trump is starting to scare investors: strategist

124»

Comments

• rforno said: "I also agree w/Lewis and Crash about flipping the Senate. Hate to say it, but in some ways I think that's more important than who is president, actually."

I agree completely. Also, while I don't agree with much that Sanders proclaims, I believe that Congress would tend to limit the damage from his more radical propositions. It's really McConnell's spineless subservience that makes Trump so dangerous.
  • That's a big 10-4 OJ.
  • OJ. Well said about McConnell. Also agree with Lewis and Crash about flipping the Senate, but that may not be so easy.
  • edited March 2020
    Dang. Well out of chaos comes clarity. I still think he was the best of the B's but more importantly I wish to see solid BLUE.
  • edited March 2020
    This commentator's observation has a cleverly phrased ring of truth to it....
    On Tuesday, the yield on the benchmark 10-year U.S. Treasury note fell to a record low, and Joe Biden surged in the Democratic presidential race. The two may be indirectly related. The former vice president’s dramatic turnaround shows that, like investors, voters are seeking a safe haven in uncertain times. As a deadly virus spreads in the United States, that’s not surprising. It’s bad news for the current president.
    https://reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-breakingviews/breakingviews-biden-is-political-equivalent-of-10-year-treasury-idUSKBN20R2IH
  • to god's ear
  • +1. Ya, from one angle, Joe wiped the floor with Bernie. But Bernie came SO VERY CLOSE to winning a number of States. It was 1% in Maine. 2,600 votes. What would have happened if uncle Joe didn't get those last-minute endorsements from the candidates who decided to drop out?..... It will be more difficult now for Bernie. As a Massachusetts native, I was surprised to see Warren do so poorly there. And disappointed that Bernie did not take the Commonwealth. That item from @davfor above rings true, I think: the Orange Abortion has skewed everyone's frame of reference, so that (mere) normalcy and a return to the status quo looks inviting...... (Shit!) "...five minutes talking to the average voter...." (Churchill.)
  • edited March 2020
    @Crash Another saying is "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others" . And, maybe this year turn out to be the right time for a little old fashioned "normalcy"....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qURAnrk30ng
  • edited March 2020
    @davfor LOVE LOVE LOVE that song. (How many know it's lifted from scripture, I wonder? Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.) As for the politics: I'd rather the gov't were Blue, not Red. But I long for so much more than mere "normalcy." The status quo, whether led by Red or Blue, is still beholden to Big, Sweaty, Green Money. The Repubs are just plain evil. The Dems will throw us crumbs. Meh......
  • Warren drops out.
  • To be precise: Headline reads ... plans to drop out Thursday."
  • She'd be well suited for Secretary of the Treasury.
  • catch22 said:

She'd be well suited for Secretary of the Treasury.

Exactly!

• edited March 2020
    2024 or 28
  • She'd be well suited for Secretary of the Treasury.
    She'd also be well suited to be president. Saying a woman candidate is suited to be a "secretary," even if it's Secretary of the Treasury is a dangerous line in 2020.
  • @Lewis

She'd be well suited for Secretary of the Treasury.
    She'd also be well suited to be president. Saying a woman candidate is suited to be a "secretary," even if it's Secretary of the Treasury is a dangerous line in 2020.
    So we can longer "compliment" a woman by making a statement like this, Lewis? Just askin.
  • edited March 2020
    @openice How is making an extraordinarily talented intelligent woman like Warren, probably the smartest person on that debate stage, a secretary a compliment? It wasn't a compliment for Wonder Woman, who was made a secretary of the Justice League in the 1940s comics: https://syfy.com/syfywire/little-known-sci-fi-fact-originally-wonder-woman-was-jsas-secretary It isn't a compliment today either. How is it possible in 2020 that half our population is women, yet all 45 of the last 45 presidents have been male?
  • Howdy folks,

Warren is out but not endorsing anyone yet. Too much leverage right now. She'll stay as Senator because Mass has a republican gov and would appoint one.

Yesterday was the Biden bounce and today is the "I've gotta hunch day".

Theme seems to be, 'the revolution can wait. we have a problem to deal with right now.'

Concur with everyone that the Senate is key. Hard but if you get a great turn out WTF knows?

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited March 2020
    According vegas

2020 Presidential Election Odds Tracker
    Candidate Current Feb 27 Feb 13 Feb 5 Feb 4 Jan 29 Jan 21 Jan 14 Jan 7
    Donald Trump -150 -180 -170 -150 -140 -135 -140 -145 -115
    Joe Biden +160 +2000 +1600 +850 +600 +550 +450 +550 +400
    Bernie Sanders +1200 +275 +375

Why sanders dropped so low now

Will be very interesting competitive fall2020
  • edited March 2020
    @LewisBraham Warren surely would be excellent as Prez. But she won't be. That option is off the table now. Treasury Secretary for her? Hell, ya. VP? Hell, ya, but wasn't it John Adams who hated that office so much? He said it was designed for idiots, or some such, eh? I could also see Warren heading-up Consumer Protection. I actually watched her years ago, testifying to Congress on CSPAN while she was still a professor at Harvard--- an expert in money matters. She was documenting the way the banks were DOING people, left and right. Yes, Massachusetts has Repub. Charlie Baker as Gov. now. If he were to appoint someoe to fill a vacancy, it would be a Repub. ... Nevertheless, Baker has a lotta respect there, in the Bay State. He is not a crazy, idiotic, compulsive, ridiculous, pathetic Trum-style Repugnant, like uncle Mitch is. (And the rest of them--- apart from uncle Mittens. Remember, Romney signed the bill into law in Massachusetts that gave them "Romneycare." Like Obamacare, it doesn't go nearly far enough, and the individual mandate is bullshit. But it is something.)
  • @Crash; For the benefit of MFO would you kindly remove your adjective & replace it with screwing.
    Thank you in advance, Derf
  • @Derf. I will do it, just to make some folks feel better. Be advised, though: this retired Presbyterian Minister doesn't give a shit about 4-letter "bad" words. If someone wants to talk about bad things, I've got a whole list that actually matters: poverty, hunger, medical care, injustice of all sorts....
  • @Crash : Stay cool !! What would a first time visitor think of this site & reading your comment. MFO needs all the help it can get retaining newbies !?

Not the police, Derf

P.S. Have you had a chance to wet a line ?

• @Derf, I do appreciate your follow-up comment. Thank you. Wet a line? No, actually. I left my equipment back East. I'll be doing so soon, though. :)
  • Upon hearing of Warren's withdrawal, a rather well known Democratic pundit predicted that the first female President would be a Republican. I agree with that, since Democrats can't seem to pull the trigger on certain items outside of their comfort zone. It was far easier to nominate and vote for a minority than for a woman. That's rather odd, and I can't begin to explain it.
  • edited March 2020
    And chances are that woman is going to be Nikki Haley.