Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

4 funds that provide shelter from the storm

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/969518/4-funds-that-provide-shelter-from-the-storm

4 funds that provide shelter from the storm

Mentioned: Fidelity® Intermediate Bond (FTHRX), Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Inv (VASGX), FPA Crescent (FPACX), Vanguard Wellington™ Inv (VWELX)

Comments

• @johnN
    The only fund here that I have confidence in is VWELX and even then, if you want shelter I’d pick VWINX. VWINX is one of my funds that I have held for years and feel confident doing so. No homer’s not even doubles, but consistent singles. If I could only pick one fund I think VWINX would be “the one”. Don’t get me wrong, I like buying other funds and trying to maximize returns, but so far VWINX has been solid.
  • FPACX holding 31% in CASH. That fund has been sitting on a bunch of CASH for way too long. It has lost its mojo.
  • @Crash, I agree, I think it got too big. The strategy was and may still work great with a smaller asset base.
  • I was a long time holder of FPACX but about 2 1/2 years ago I decided to bail.

Very happy I did I believe there are many better options going forward.

I do believe the increase increase in AUM has hurt the fund among other issues.