Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jim Lehrer, Longtime PBS News Anchor, Is Dead at 85

Comments

• edited January 2020
    And one of the best US news programs out there. No visuals, special effects, or octabox shoutfests -- just decent discussion and analysis that is clearly identifiable.

I started watching it right after 9/11 when the US news nets went into full-bore patriotism-in-your-face with the constant on-screen flags and I realized they only wanted to gin up controversy and soundbytes instead of fostering decently presented and fact-based enlightenment into the issues of the day .... and haven't looked back since.

'Rules by Jim Lehrer of PBS The NewsHour' are worth reading and following by all journos.
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/remembering-jim-lehrer
  • MacNeil/Lehrer Report

Truly one of the benchmarks of decency and intellect in tv journalism.
    A sadly different world today, for the most part; in tv news reporting.
  • edited January 2020
    I was on top of this.

Fitting that Lewis should post it. The world today is sadly in need of Jim Lehrers. Very sad news of course.
  • Absolutely, one of the very best in the news business. May he rests in peace. Gwen Ifill passed away back in 2016. Judy Woodruff is another great reporter.
  • Completely agree with all of you. McNeil and Lehrer were absolute aces. We are poorer for their absence. RIP.
  • I loved seeing him on PBS but I also loved hearing him appear as a guest on "Imus in the Morning." I also enjoyed reading one of his novels "White Widow." (Jim grew up loving the stories his dad would bring home from his job working for a bus company and those pleasant memories led Jim to write this book about a bus driver who let his imagination about a bus passenger get inside his mind. One of my favorite novels ever.)
  • Hi @msf
    Yes, very definitive.