Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

You’re In Your 60s And Haven’t Saved Enough. Here’s What To Do

FYI: My wife and I are in our early 60s and, for various reasons, haven’t saved enough for retirement. What are your best suggestions for pumping up our nest egg? We already plan to continue working into our mid-60s and, if necessary, beyond.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.wsj.com/articles/youre-in-your-60s-and-havent-saved-enough-heres-what-to-do-11570110334

Comments

• How do I get around that lovely pay-wall?
  • TedTed
    edited October 2019
    @Crash: Try Private Window in Firefox, or Incognito Window in Chrome. Let me know if it works.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hello, @Ted. I tried reproducing the specific URL into the address bar in a different browser altogether (Brave.) That didn't work. Then I tried a PRIVATE Brave browser window. No-go.... A private window in Firefox failed, too. I don't use Chrome. I even tried Private window on Brave, using "Tor." Could not get into the full WSJ article. So, I found out a new thing: Tor, which is supposed to be super-muscular in protecting my identity, but the WSJ still knows I'm not paying.
  • @Ted / @Crash: This whole "private window" thing is really nonsensical when it comes to paywalls. In this day of cheap-as-dirt computing power all any publisher needs to do is keep a simple database of paying customers. If your not on that list, or they can't tell who you are, that's that... goodbye.

Howdy, Stranger!
    Think about it- right here at MFO if you're not listed in the member database, you can't sign in. If you aren't signed in, you can read but not comment. What help is a "private window" going to be in getting around that?
  • Old_Joe said:

@Ted / @Crash: This whole "private window" thing is really nonsensical when it comes to paywalls. In this day of cheap-as-dirt computing power all any publisher needs to do is keep a simple database of paying customers. If your not on that list, or they can't tell who you are, that's that... goodbye.

Howdy, Stranger!
    Think about it- right here at MFO if you're not listed in the member database, you can't sign in. If you aren't signed in, you can read but not comment. What help is a "private window" going to be in getting around that?

......Not much. But I recall when a little trick DID work: we could Google-search the title, and could read the thing through a different source. Anyhow, some good-natured member here at MFO sent me the full text. (I'll never tell.;) ) I DID save enough to do alright in SOME circumstances: giving up some privacy is allowing wifey and I to live in "Paradise." In that particular article, I wanted to see what I might be missing, if there was an angle I'd not considered.

All the rest of you can eat your heart out! ;)

• "All the rest of you can eat your heart out! ;)"

Now that's not nice. Boo.
  • OK, I take it back.:)