Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Jonathan Clement's Blog: Say No To Mo: Momentum Investment Strategies

FYI: FEW WEEKS back, a reader—let’s call him Karl—challenged me with a question. Why, he asked, don’t I recommend momentum investment strategies?

If you aren’t familiar with the term, momentum strategies seek to buy stocks that have done well in the past, with the hope that they will continue rising, while also selling stocks that have done poorly, with the expectation that they will keep falling.

Karl asked why, in a recent article, I had dismissed momentum investing as the sort of thing that would turn your portfolio into an “unpredictable stew,” even though research has found that it can be profitable. It’s a fair question.
Regards,
Ted
https://humbledollar.com/2019/07/say-no-mo/

Comments

• A bit confusing with the admission that momentum investing could / does work versus the title, stay away.

If you are disciplined, especially on setting your 'stop', MO can be fun and add a bit of profit. Many here do it.
  • The two objections raised on the page are costs and high risk.

Both skew and kurtosis are mentioned in the "Momentum Has Its Moments" paper, meaning that momentum investing has long, fat tails on the loss side (good chance of catastrophic losses). Nevertheless, in the long run, momentum works so well that even adjusted for risk, it performs better than the market.

Though as Keynes said, in the long run we are all dead. I have a pretty high risk tolerance, but the potential recovery time (decades) is too long for my taste, and I'm not fond of trying to catch a falling knife.

As to costs, the trading costs are real, and something to keep in mind. However, I have my doubts about the "extra work" involved (and posted a comment on the article page about that). Momentum investing can even entail less work, because it doesn't care about fundamentals. Fund analysts aren't going to be knocking on company doors, talking with CFOs, poring over business plans. They're more likely to be feeding P/Es, revenues, etc. into computers and seeing which companies rise to the top of the heap.

• edited July 2019
    If you continually monitor the M*, Lipper*, etc. charts and keep shifting money away from the poorer performing funds into the better performing ones in each “category” (as a good many do), than I’d say you are a “closet momentum player” - though probably unaware of it.

A simple example of how the game can be played might be John Hussman’s HSTRX - which Lipper describes this way: “The Fund seeks to provide long-term total return from income and capital appreciation by investing fixed-income securities, such as U.S. Treasury bonds, notes and bills, Treasury inflation-protected securities, U.S. Treasury Strips, and other U.S. Government agency securities.”

Yet, a quick scan of top holdings indicates approximately 15% to consist of precious metals mining companies. As might be expected, this “conservative income fund” jumped about 8% in the last quarter. (It suffered a loss nearly as large in the 4th quarter.) If gold keeps rising, the fund may well flaunt a 15-20% gain by year’s end. While representing only a small % of the fund, the driver in terms of over and under performance has always been its investments in metals and mining - not its bond managing capabilities.

Hussman doesn’t disguise this very well - so most here are aware of the reason the fund might over or underperform its peers during shorter periods. But if you carry the logic a little farther, it shouldn’t be hard to recognize that other fund managers can play the same game - even improve on it - by adding hot momentum funds to their holdings during rising markets, causing their funds to outperform, drawing in even more investment dollars, and allowing them to buy even more of the hot momentum stocks .....

You might say this is a classic case of the elephant chasing his own tail.
  • If you continually monitor the M*, Lipper*, etc. charts and keep shifting money away from the poorer performing funds into the better performing ones in each “category” (as a good many do), than I’d say you are a “closet momentum player” - though probably unaware of it.
    I wouldn't call that momentum investing @hank. Jumping to the hotter fund is just a good way to reduce your returns over time. Momentum investing is, as I understand it, monitoring and playing trends in a disciplined manner, having a plan to enter and a plan to leave.

Oh, and Hussman is far from a momentum investor. He uses a bunch of stock value and economic data to predict the financial markets are doomed. Polar opposite of letting the trend be your friend.
  • I myself will be looking hard at MTUM if the market dives.
  • The Momentum Trading Strategy (Finance)
    https://what-when-how.com/finance/the-momentum-trading-strategy-finance/
    A strategy that buys past winners and simultaneously sells past losers based on stock performance in the past 3 to 12 months is profitable in the U.S. and the European markets. This survey paper reviews the literature on the momentum strategy and the possible explanations on the momentum profitability.
    The "Momentum Has Its Moments" paper I mentioned describes a strategy that sounds like this one on steroids - instead of selling past losers, one shorts them:
    Momentum in the long run ... Buying winners and shorting losers has provided large returns of 14.46% per year, with a Sharpe ratio higher than the market. The winners-minus-losers strategy offers an impressive performance for investors. ... But ... momentum has a dark side. Its large gains come at the expense of ... a very fat left tail, this is a significant crash risk.
    No entry or exit plan; just pure momentum.
  • edited July 2019
    MikeM said:

If you continually monitor the M*, Lipper*, etc. charts and keep shifting money away from the poorer performing funds into the better performing ones in each “category” (as a good many do), than I’d say you are a “closet momentum player” - though probably unaware of it.
    I wouldn't call that momentum investing @hank. Jumping to the hotter fund is just a good way to reduce your returns over time. Momentum investing is, as I understand it, monitoring and playing trends in a disciplined manner, having a plan to enter and a plan to leave.

Oh, and Hussman is far from a momentum investor. He uses a bunch of stock value and economic data to predict the financial markets are doomed. Polar opposite of letting the trend be your friend.
    Good stuff from @MikeM. :)

But allow me to attempt to explain. The fund manager who boosts returns by buying hot stocks (let’s assume “systematically”) is the real momentum player. He / she knows full well what they’re doing. The individual investor who moves money to that fund because it’s been “outperforming” its peers is the unwitting victim of the momentum strategy - thus, a “closet momentum player”. Hussman is a hard one to explain - more like a loose cannonball on the deck of a rolling ship during rough seas I’d say. (No telling where it will go or what damage may result.) However, if folks flock to HSTRX six months from now because they see a “bond fund” that’s been whipping other bond funds by 5 or 6%, they will have bought the momentum kool aid, and likely won’t realize it.

Just MHO. But you make good points. (Folks should be aware that both Mike and I invested with Hussman once upon a time and long ago)
  • (Folks should be aware that both Mike and I invested with Hussman once upon a time and long ago)
    @hank, don't remind me! But today we are reformed Hussmanites:) We were believers in PRPFX too, although that one might still make sense if your expectations are in the 4-6% range over a cycle. Very much tied to PM and treasuries.
  • I believe FundX has followed these strategy for years. It's done well this past year, but not so well of this market cycle. Momentum get a lot of attention with quants. c
  • @MikeM. I bought some PRPFX after the rest of you guys fled. Converted it to a Roth in January 2016. In the 3.5 years since the conversion it’s up 27.35%%. Not great - but not bad either for a fund so despised here. Represents 11.5% of invested assets. For contrast, I carry about 15% in cash and short-term stuff yielding very little.

Re: Doc Hussman - Yes. We’re both solidly in the “recovering” state now, having participated in the folly in our early years. So, it’s hard (for me anyway) not to look back and take an occasional jab at the humble fellow.
  • edited July 2019
    Hi @Mark
    I've monitored, but not invested in MTUM; and the below chart starts with 2018, as this will let you view the moves during the short market whack in early Feb. as well as the big down on Dec. 24, 2018. I included DSEEX as a pseudo momentum active fund.
    ARGH. Chart will only set back to July at this time.

SPY MTUM DSEEX Jan 2018 to date

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi @Catch - Interesting.

If you click on the left side of the time block below the graph and drag it to the left you can go back in time to Nov. 2013.
  • @Mark
    Yes, I forgot to mention that. You may drag the days bar from either end to shorten and also right click onto it for default ranges. Sometimes, like with this chart; I shorten the time period to 100 days or so, and then click and hold the day range slider and drag to left to see the 100 day periods going back. This allows for a nice tighter view.
    1999 is the most rear view; perhaps otherwise if a subscriber, which I am not nor need more time.
  • hank said:

But allow me to attempt to explain. The fund manager who boosts returns by buying hot stocks (let’s assume “systematically”) is the real momentum player. He / she knows full well what they’re doing. The individual investor who moves money to that fund because it’s been “outperforming” its peers is the unwitting victim of the momentum strategy - thus, a “closet momentum player”.
    I'm skimming through a 2016 M* paper on the short term persistence of mutual fund performance. Like any responsible paper on the subject, it starts with Carhart's 1997 paper. " Carhart attributed this [short term persistence] effect to momentum, showing that recent outperformers happen to hold stocks with strong momentum on average, though they don’t necessarily follow a momentum strategy."

M* does its own data analysis, and reports thusly on momentum:
    the positive and significant coefficient on the [momentum] factor [for large blend funds] suggests that the managers in the top quintile had greater exposure to stocks with positive momentum (or less exposure to stocks with negative momentum) than those in the bottom quintile during the holding periods. The adjusted R-squared indicates how well the model fit the data. In this case, the regression could explain 56% of the variance in the returns between the funds in the top and bottom quintiles. This means that the model explains a significant part of the story, but there is much it doesn’t capture.

[In plainer English, over half of the outperformance of hot large cap blend funds over the subsequent year is because they tend to hold more high momentum stocks. This effect doesn't last over longer periods.]

Overall, differences in momentum, rather than differences in skill, appear to explain return
    persistence in the short term.
    http://www.fwp.partners/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Performance-Persistence-Morningstar-2016.pdf

Chasing these hot funds thus appears to be chasing funds that happen to have high momentum stocks, though not necessarily chasing momentum funds.
  • “Chasing these hot funds thus appears to be chasing funds that happen to have high momentum stocks, though not necessarily chasing momentum funds.”

- I think you mean the funds themselves aren’t moving in a fashion consistent with having significant momentum over meaningful periods of time, but they tend to own stocks that have a degree of momentum. Sounds reasonable to me.

- If, on the other hand, you mean that the managers of these funds don’t intentionally buy stocks having lots of momentum, than I’d suggest: (1) intent is difficult to establish and (2) quite possibly the “herd mentality” has misled these managers into not recognizing that they’re buying stocks which are rising due more to momentum than to underlying fundamentals.
  • It's sort of the latter - what strategy is the fund following? Except that intent is irrelevant. It's a matter of "watch what I do, not what I say." A momentum strategy fund is one that maintains a significant percentage of its portfolio in high momentum stocks over time, regardless of what the manager is thinking.

A four factor analysis is used to determine the style (strategy) of a fund. Carhart took Fama/French's three factor analysis and added momentum as a fourth factor. Funds that have a large momentum factor are deemed momentum funds. That's different from saying that a fund just happens to have a lot of high momentum stocks at the moment.

An absurd hypothetical may help to illustrate the latter. Consider a fund that invests in stocks beginning with 'A'. At a given moment, the 'A' stocks, like Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, etc. might have high momentum. A few months later, they might not. This fund is clearly not following a momentum strategy, because it's not trading in and out of stocks to maintain a high momentum factor. So it doesn't correlate well over time with momentum. Still, at the moment, it has the same type of portfolio as a momentum strategy fund.

From Carhart, p. 73 (pdf p. 18):
    To test whether momentum managers earn consistently higher returns, I sort mutual funds into portfolios on their 4-factor model PR1YR loadings [look for the funds with high a PR1YR, i.e. momentum factor] and find that one-year momentum funds do not earn substantially higher returns than contrarian funds. ...

[Other] mutual funds [the ones that did well last year] don't follow the momentum strategy but are funds that accidentally end up holding last year's winners. Since the returns on these stocks are above average in the ensuing year, if these funds simply hold their winning stocks, they will enjoy higher one-year expected returns and incur no additional transaction costs for this portfolio. [Unlike momentum funds, that Carhart previously noted are high turnover, high expense funds.]
  • edited July 2019
    When I read this article I didn't think it was talking about investing in momentum-style funds where the manager might follow momentum algorithms he has developed. I don't think a mutual fund can respond quick enough to trend change. I assumed the author was talking about individual investors that invest in a style that follows return trends of sectors or categories themselves. The first person that came to mind was @Junkster. He has done very well with his trend following methods. @rono would be another momentum investor who has laid out his method in the past. They both have very disciplined momentum styles they follow.

To me, momentum investing is discovering an established, stable trend in whatever category you are comfortable with, buying in incrementally as the trend plays out and having a very specific sell point if the trend breaks down. In my opinion, momentum investing is not buying a momentum-style fund. A fund cannot react quickly to change. To me, momentum-style funds just fall in the realm of buying "alternative funds", which personally I stay away from.
  • Many believe momentum is best implemented by identifying high flying stocks who have recently corrected, betting that they resume their uptrend. In this way, losers can be cut quickly and winners can run.