Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump Grounds All 737Max 8 & 9's

TedTed
edited March 2019 in Off-Topic
FYI: Shares of Boeing tumbled Wednesday after President Donald Trump said he is grounding all Boeing 737 Max jets, following the second major crash within five months.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/13/boeing-shares-fall-after-report-says-us-expected-to-ground-737-max-fleet.html

Comments

• I think the job of announcing this should more properly fall to head or spokesperson of FAA.
  • edited March 2019
    Delete (Reposted this under my own thread!)
  • @Investor: Sorry, but that's against the Republican rules- can't have the government interfering with private enterprise, you know. To repeat my observation from the other thread :

Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao (Mitch McConnells wife) was finally FORCED to get off her do-nothing Republican ass and take care of public safety. What a total farce!
  • edited March 2019
    @hank- Earlier today I read some interesting information from NPR.

• "In two cases, pilots flying in the U.S. late last year had their planes pitch down unexpectedly after departures. Both times, the crew disengaged the autopilot and were able to keep flying safely," NPR's Russell Lewis reports. "In a third report, a pilot complained that the Boeing 737 MAX's flight manual was inadequate and 'almost criminally insufficient.' "

• "While the [American Airlines] union endorsed the continued use of the 737 Max, it added, "The flying public should also be aware that American Airlines' Boeing 737 Max planes are unique."

"The two dozen 737 Max aircraft in the American Airlines fleet are the only ones equipped with two AOA [Angle of Attack] displays, one for each pilot, providing an extra layer of awareness and warning," the union said.

What isn't said is whether the two Angle of Attack displays are completely independent, or whether they share a common AOA sensor input. Additionally, if the issue is the autopilot erroneously pushing the nose down, it doesn't take two displays to realize that something very bad is happening.
  • edited March 2019
    Thanks OJ. I didn’t realize I’d posted my extensive ramblings under @Ted’s thread. So I have now moved it to my original thread (Territorial:))

Interesting. AOA is new to me. But yes - I heard that recently as well. “Air speed sensors” (outside the craft) are known to ice-up and suffer other problems that can confuse the computers or crew. That was the initial problem with the Air France jet flying from Brazil to Paris a decade ago. Led to the crew actually flying the thing into the Atlantic with loss of all aboard at night. Transcripts reveal they never had a clue.

Your post makes me think that at altitude they might have resolved the problem (disengaged). As you know the cockpit is a very busy place during climb out. Last thing they need is to be hit with something like that at low altitude in congested air space.
  • @hank- Yes, exactly. And evidently Boeing didn't either, when they designed this bastardized autopilot system.
  • Old_Joe said:

@hank- Yes, exactly. And evidently Boeing didn't either, when they designed this bastardized autopilot system.

Ditto.