Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Here’s A Clear Case For Owning Dividend Stocks Instead Of Bonds: (NOBL)

FYI: Overvalued stocks and rising interest rates suggest bonds might now be a better investment.

But there’s a strong argument that shares of well-established companies with attractive dividend yields are much better long-term investments than bonds are.

Money managers use all sorts of complicated analyses and charts to explain why you should invest in, or avoid, a particular company or class of securities. Hank Smith, co-chief investment officer of Haverford Trust, has laid out a clear case for dividend stocks over bonds. (Haverford is based in Radnor, Pa., and has about $8 billion in assets under management.)
Regards,
Ted
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-a-clear-case-for-owning-dividend-stocks-instead-of-bonds-2018-09-19/print

M* Snapshot NOBL:
https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/bats/nobl/quote.html

Comments

• I just sold some NOBL to raise cash and I hold a significant amount of SCHD. Same reasons you mention.
  • Wait, when I have mused recently on XRLV, and MMTM and QUAL (I think, having found them better performers than NOBL and SCHD), did you, Ted, not vehemently say to just stick w SP500?
  • It's mostly a difference of when not performance as they are all similar with out having to pick and choose the time frame. I would stay with SCHD as lowest cost and suitability.
  • Yeah; I was (am always) looking for alternatives to CAPE, which outdoes them all but is unavailable at one of my brokerages. All similar more or less but real (non-huge) differences in performance.