Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

moving, retirement planning

edited July 2018 in Fund Discussions
When we move in a year's time, we will have HIGHER monthly expenses than we do now. I'll be on Medicare. Wife needs to be working, still 46 yrs old a year from now. She has exceedingly great evaluations from her current job. We're expecting it won't be a problem for her to find something, most likely doing the same thing. She'll get a stellar recommendation from our doctor-friend out there in AZ. Maybe she could even work at the same hospital as doctor-friend. (Janitor, making $15/hour right now.)

Holdings: MAPOX 18.9%
PRWCX 36%
PTIAX 4.02%
RPIHX 14%
PRSNX 8.79%
PRIDX 8.1%
PRDSX 6.08%
VSCIX 4.11% (wife's 403b)

KISS It. Keep it simple, Stupid. Shall I "raid" and empty-out MAPOX with its quarterly divs, and redistribute it into my bond funds? I deliberately chose bond funds that pay monthly. to meet monthly expenses. RPIHX is TRP Junk Bonds, global. Not long ago, it replaced PREMX, EM bonds.

I want to keep the lineup around 50/50 stocks/bonds. Morningstar X-Ray tells me I'm at 55 stocks and 37 bonds right now. I suppose that includes bonds held in MAPOX and PRWCX....... The rent and electric bill (A/C) will surely be our highest expenses. I bet the A/C and other appliances will cost us about $500/month through most of the year.

If I unloaded MAPOX, then I'd have one less fund to worry about, and one less separate fund family in the mix. I would be ALL in TRP, then. Oops, except for PTIAX, and I do intend to keep and grow that one. Very good divs, though lower than during ZIRP days.

AZ is not the best State for taxes re: retirees, but it's not awful.
http://im.mstar.com/im/newhomepage/Miller_State_by_State.pdf

Then there's food. Internet (common use room, not in indiv. apartments) and gym might be provided, depending on the apartment complex we choose. Booze. Eating out. Entertainment. Taxes. Gas. Insurance. Wife will ostensibly be able to get health ins. at her job. I do expect to buy a medi-gap policy to supplement Medicare. And my SS check will be smaller, paying for Medicare. My pension grows a tiny bit each year. Up to $700.00 right now per month. We have no revolving debt. We're collecting reward points and intend to take the offered cash, rather than to choose from the fancy menu of options offered by the credit card outfit. Our 2nd car will be paid-off before we go.

The 403b can be rolled over. Maybe into the new job's 403b or to an IRA.

This is a long post, but what thoughts might you have for me? I'm eager to hear.

Comments

• beebee
    edited July 2018
    My recent mantra for portfolio review is changing from "Core and Explore" to "Core and Income". Core is low cost, well diversified and simple. Income is high quality, diversified, and uncorrelated to the market (my core). Explore is a small percentage of an overall portfolio that may or may not pan out as an investment idea.

Buffet's core is 90% S&P 500 Index / 10% ST Bonds...no explore here. The 90% of his Core is for growth and 10% for income during market downturns. Your income needs maybe greater than 10%, especially if your portfolio is small and market downturns last multiple years.

It's a math problem.

Say you need $1K of income each year:
    10% of 10K is $1K, but if the market downturn last 3-5 years you need $3K-$5K or 30%-50% held as income because this portfolio is so small.

10% of $100K is $10K...you have the luxury of increasing you income up to $3K ($3K X 3 years) is less than the $10K you have set aside which is also still less than 10%.

10% of $1,000,000 is $100K...this would provide $30K for 3 years...$20K for 5 years...without having to touch your core.

Your income needs over a 3-5 year period should drive your income portfolio percentage.

So, working backwards if you need $20K of income and your portfolio is $500k Using Buffets 90/10 portfolio as a guideline you would have to tweak it to 88/12:

$20K x 3 years = $60K/$500k = 12% of portfolio (88/12)
    $20K X 5 years = $100K/$500? = 20% of portfolio (80/20)

Second point, we explore too much...it's exciting, but not always profitable or practical.

Do you consider MAPOX / PRWCX your core (55% of your portfolio)
    Do you consider PTIAX as income (Buffet's ST Bond) your at 4%.

Ask yourself, how do these other funds fit into a "Core & Income" portfolio?

Worry about "Explore" later.

Age difference between you and your spouse:

If TRP offerings simplify things for you, look at their Retirement Funds. Very inexpensive, very diversified. Very simple. PRWCX would compare well with a TRP retirement date of 2040 so I also can see this being your core, but at 36% its hardily "at bat" much. Maybe Pair PRWCX with 2 retirement different dated funds that reflect the age difference between you and your wife's ages. This would provide you with 3 core funds. When your 90 & your wife is 70, these retirement date funds will have transitioned with age as well.

Finally,

Manager risk is real. Institution risk is real.

Some here would spread this core out among managers and among institutions.

• @ Crash: Any thought of a part time job ?
    Derf
  • edited July 2018
    Derf said:

@ Crash: Any thought of a part time job ?
    Derf

I might be open to the idea. My background, though, is not suited for ANYTHING. EVERYWHERE I apply--- literally--- the employer will wonder what the hell I'm doing there, and choose someone else. That's happened time and time and time again, already. And the way things work these days... Well, I'd not put up with it: squeezing the employee for EVERY MOMENT of time. Surveillance of the employee with technology. I'd much rather go with the alternative, which is to come up with the money we'll need through HER job, plus investment income and SS and pension. And the fact that I'm 64 only adds to my predilection for NOT putting up with bullshit, nonsense and lousy bosses. So, how long would I last at the job, eh? :)

Fishing sounds a lot more fun. https://azstateparks.com/patagonia-lake/on-the-water/fishing
  • @Crash: Your choice, but you may be bored.
    Service jobs in the gig economy cover an ever-wider territory. Dog walking and housesitting pay reasonably well. Or perhaps you can work out of your home, if you choose to.
  • Sound exciting and lots of planning (number crunching as well). Do you have a financial planner you trust and work with in AZ? Someone who are fee-based advisor, not asset-based. Perhaps other on the board can chime in. Remember BobC who wrote extensively on this topic. Few discussion on financial planners from the past.
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/92389/#Comment_92389

• edited July 2018
    Thank you both! Alas, that link is dead.
  • Getting a part time job just seems like the obvious choice. Could you work at the same job description your wife works at? That would double your married income.
  • @ Crash: I think you answered your own question for a part time job. Fishing guide !!!!
    Enjoy your retirement,
    Derf
  • edited July 2018
    Crash said:

Derf said:

@ Crash: Any thought of a part time job ?
    Derf

I might be open to the idea. My background, though, is not suited for ANYTHING. EVERYWHERE I apply--- literally--- the employer will wonder what the hell I'm doing there, and choose someone else. That's happened time and time and time again, already. And the way things work these days... Well, I'd not put up with it: squeezing the employee for EVERY MOMENT of time. Surveillance of the employee with technology. I'd much rather go with the alternative, which is to come up with the money we'll need through HER job, plus investment income and SS and pension. And the fact that I'm 64 only adds to my predilection for NOT putting up with bullshit, nonsense and lousy bosses. So, how long would I last at the job, eh?

If this is truly true (forget surveillance stuff) and good-faith efforts and not always self-sabotaging vibes ('thanks, we totally get your opposite-of-eager message'), then yeah, absolutely, not worth your time or effort to continue, not one iota. Only real-world super-intense financial pressures would effect a change, and for many people even that is not enough, nothing is, unlike past centuries.
  • @Crash: It sounds as though you are an former President. Those guys would also have a hard time getting an interview! A former neighbor, PhD industrial psychologist, got great satisfaction out of working during retirement in the electrical department of our local Home Depot. Best of luck!
  • :) You flatter me, @BenWP. Thanks for the good wishes. I do believe we got this move to the desert lined-up. I need to re-calibrate my thinking from accumulation to actually USING my investment income. I will just need to do some rearranging in the portfolio. I suppose the time to pull the trigger will be after the New Year.