Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nearly Half Of Americans Still Don’t Understand Social Security

FYI: Near-retirees still have a lot to learn about their Social Security retirement benefits, according to a new nationwide poll released by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company this week.

Nearly half (47 percent) of Americans age 50 and over failed a basic true/false question quiz on Social Security retirement benefits. Still, that’s an improvement over three years ago when MassMutual surveyed the nation with a broader true/false question quiz, which 62 percent of respondents age 50 and over failed, and 72 percent of the general population failed.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/nearly-half-of-americans-still-don-t-understand-social-security-38770.html?print

Comments

• edited May 2018
    I am one of them. Frankly I don't expect it to be around when I retire so haven't been paying attention. If it's there, it'll be a bonus.

When I see people living on minimum wage, it really gets to me. If they can exist/subsist, I will figure out a way to do same without SS benefits.

Jeff Bezos can go and F himself on Mars.

PS - Warren Buffet is on record saying he does not claim SS benefits. I would really like to know which one-percenters claim SS. There has to be a list. I read somewhere Romney has $2MM in his IRA. Would really like to know if he claims SS.
  • @VintageFreak Why don't you expect it to be around? When do you expect to retire?

Yes, I'm sure you'll be fine financially with or without it, but it will definitely be there for you. You might as well look into it.

• Some remnants of SS may well still be around for the next few decades. However, I wonder if SS will even cover rising health insurance premiums (medicare b, d, + supplemental).

I wonder how many Americans realize what a burden HC costs are becoming for US retirees, and how it will effect their "budgets".
  • dryflower said:

@VintageFreak Why don't you expect it to be around? When do you expect to retire?

Yes, I'm sure you'll be fine financially with or without it, but it will definitely be there for you. You might as well look into it.

I expect to work till I drop as long as someone will have me. But yeah, I will look into it. Kinda like winning lottery and getting a monthly payment. I'm just not going to rely on it and spend more money now with expectation it will be there for me. If it is, it will be an unexpected windfall.
  • I am one of them. Frankly I don't expect it to be around when I retire ...

PS - Warren Buffet is on record saying he does not claim SS benefits.

As JoeD observed, some SS will be around for decades. Not just some, but 75%.
    Currently, the Social Security Board of Trustees projects program cost to rise by 2035 so that taxes will be enough to pay for only 75 percent of scheduled benefits. This increase in cost results from population aging, not because we are living longer, but because birth rates dropped from three to two children per woman. Importantly, this shortfall is basically stable after 2035;
    https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v70n3/v70n3p111.html

Regarding Buffett, could you point to the record? Buffett said on Fox Business in 2013 (in response to a question about why he's still working): "I am 82 and I'm getting social security now so I don't need to do it for the money."

Transcription: https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2013/05/wake-forest-students-want-to-know.html
    Fox Business video: http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2359891806001
  • oh, it'll be around, without question, and health costs are flattening, or were until GOP sabotage
  • Correlation is not causation. Nor are total dollars spent the same as cost of health care. The former is a product of health care costs and health care utilization.

Here's a PWC report, projecting slightly higher increases in medical costs in 2018 than in 2017 (but the same as 2014, and lower than 2015). It discusses the upward and downward pressures on these costs.
    https://www.pwc.com/us/en/health-industries/health-research-institute/behind-the-numbers.html

The GOP has (somewhat) sabotaged health care, via tampering with insurance. But insurance rates are not the same as the cost health care. Insurance tampering could even bring down total spending by lowering utilization (due to higher deductibles, higher copays, fewer people buying insurance).

While I'm not saying this is a good thing, I am unclear as to what you mean by health costs, and how sabotage increased those costs.
  • "This increase in cost results from population aging, not because we are living longer, but because birth rates dropped from three to two children per woman."

@msf: All the more reason to expand the deportation of "illegal" immigrant workers rather than rationalize the situation and incorporate them into the SS and general tax systems. Idiots!!
  • Not only that, but many of these workers pay into SS while being ineligible to draw benefits. While that sounds like theft to me, the current push to deport them and terminate this source of revenue simply increases the SS shortfall.
    Unauthorized immigrants, who are not granted any deferred-action status, are not eligible to receive Social Security benefits or any other federal means-tested benefits. But they pay taxes and pay into the Social Security system.

Even though the majority of unauthorized immigrants can’t collect the benefits, they paid about $12 billion into the cash flow of the Social Security program in 2010.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2016/08/20/trumps-false-claim-that-undocumented-immigrants-collect-social-security-benefits/
  • msf
    edited May 2018
    Before I take more than a cursory look at the links, what do you mean by "health costs" - the average actual cost of providing care (e.g. drug X rose M% last year, appendectomies rose N%, etc.), list prices, the total national spending per year? Something else?

Anyone can pick and choose figures; they give no more information than blind men looking at an elephant. My own health care costs may be increasing more rapidly now, but one can't infer from a subset of the population (here, one person) that health costs are accelerating broadly.

"Of course you know Price's comment" - which had to do with what some people will pay for insurance. Insurance is not health care; it is just one component of the cost of health care. Price is talking only about the few who buy individual insurance.

"Charges higher premiums" - for a minority of the few (7%) who buy individual insurance. For the majority of the few, the ones who get premium subsidies on exchanges, their premiums are rising more slowly or even falling. A counterintuitive side effect of the government eliminating CSR subsidies (but not eliminating CSRs).

"Costs the government more money" - because, net, government subsidies go up. But do the changes actually cost the nation more money (i.e. increase health costs), or do they merely shift costs from individuals to the government? And isn't that the idea of health care as a right?

Judging from the URLs themselves, the Commonwealth Fund and CBPP pages are concerned with how coverage has been reduced. As I've already commented, reducing coverage reduces utilization which reduces national health spending.

You've tossed out a lot of URLs, pointing to pages that talk about lots of parts of health costs (insurance, coverage, utilization) and how some payers (e.g. government, unsubsidized individual policy subscribers) are affected, but you haven't said anything about how this is accelerating the rise in "health costs".

So again I ask what you mean by "health costs".

Edit: If you do a search for health care cost containment, you'll find some ACA changes mentioned, like the Cadillac tax and the medical loss ratio (MLR) requirement for insurers. The former never went into effect, so you can't credit it with flattening health care costs. The latter is still in effect (and I've gotten multiple premium refunds thanks to this provision).

So in addition to describing what you mean by health costs, it would be informative to know what provisions of the law, that formerly helped contain those costs however you define them, were subsequently sabotaged by the GOP.
  • edited May 2018
    Still more of the best-quality and most instructive wriggling I have ever experienced. But you will have to do your battles with the analysts and commentators. I am not as sharp as they, or as you. And sure, maybe they too are all mistaken and misguided and misinformed.

That was not a 'toss', though, and I am not a googling troll (I'm not saying this is your accusation). But I am intensely curious about the deep details, as are you too, clearly, indeed; yet I lack your sometimes seemingly automatically reactionary certainties.
    And I tend to trust studied expertise, which it seems much of the time you are not.

As I have said before more than once, if you really are as informed and canny and smartly 'yeah-but' as you present, you really, really should be posting elsewhere in addition.
  • @msf - I should have clarified. I have heard many people on Financial Pron TV claiming Buffet does not claim any SS / Medicare Benefits. Clearly your quote directly attributed to him overrules that.

However, I still want to know if he's actually taking it. And many others.
  • msf
    edited May 2018
    @davidrmoran The writers you cite are not misguided, not misinformed, just focused on bits and pieces. They never talked about "health costs" - you did. That was your term, your synthesis of what you read.

I'm not wriggling out of describing what the term means to me. I wrote that one could view it as the (average) cost of services, or the total amount spent by the country for services. I suggested researching "cost containment". I added commentary on that.

Most of what you cited discusses health insurance costs. Is that what you mean by "health costs"? Are you giving the same answer as Trump: [What does that mean, sir?] "You can figure that out yourself."

Vox does mention "medical costs", as in "a silver plan ... covers 70 percent of medical costs." That sounds like health costs. Are these the costs that you say have been sabotaged? Vox doesn't talk about medical costs rising.

Though it does confirm what I wrote previously. Trump actions effectively "increased the size of subsidies Obamacare customers received, which often made bronze plans free for people or made gold plans even cheaper than their less generous alternatives."

Insurance is basically a mechanism for redistributing costs (and risks). Subsidies likewise redistribute costs - if the government pays your premiums, or if the insurer (formerly the government) subsidizes your deductibles/copays (CSRs), then you pay less but someone (taxpayers, other policy holders) pays more.

Insurance is not primarily about the cost of health care - it's about who pays for it. "Sabotage" insurance and health costs get distributed differently. That's not an increase in "health costs", though it has certainly resulted in my personal cost of health care increasing. Just as it has resulted in cheaper gold plans for others.
  • msf
    edited May 2018
    JoeD said:

Some remnants of SS may well still be around for the next few decades. However, I wonder if SS will even cover rising health insurance premiums (medicare b, d, + supplemental).

I wonder how many Americans realize what a burden HC costs are becoming for US retirees, and how it will effect their "budgets".

Let me try to address this question of health care costs for US retirees, as you intended the question (whether SS will cover medicare premiums). The focus is on SS and Medicare.

Medicare premiums may be as close as one can get to an accurate representation of the true cost of health care. No games here about who's in and who's out. Nearly everyone over 65 opts in, and relatively few under age 65 are eligible (e.g. a disability may qualify you).

By law, the base amount you pay for part B is 1/4 of its cost. (High income people may pay an IRMAA surcharge.) So that premium has risen in sync with health care costs, nothing like the headlines you're seeing for exchange plan premiums.

As a single payer system, Medicare applies a lot of pressure to keep costs down. In addition, AFAIK, the ACA Medicare cost containment provisions are still in place.
    Slower growth in Medicare spending in recent years can be attributed in part to policy changes adopted as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and the Budget Control Act of 2011 (BCA). The ACA included reductions in Medicare payments to plans and providers, increased revenues, and introduced delivery system reforms that aimed to improve efficiency and quality of patient care and reduce costs, including accountable care organizations (ACOs), medical homes, bundled payments, and value-based purchasing initiatives.
    https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/the-facts-on-medicare-spending-and-financing/

There's also the "hold harmless" provision tying Medicare premiums to SS benefits. So long as you're not paying a premium surcharge (IRMAA) because you have a high income, you are guaranteed that your SS check will not go down from year to year because you're paying increasing Medicare premiums out of your SS benefit. (Your check may not go up for years, but at least it won't drop.)

IMHO the bigger problem is Part D. I've looked at 2018 insurance rate filings - they all say that something like 2/3 - 3/4 of the increase in health costs is coming from increases in drug prices. There are a couple of obvious things the government could do.

For Medicare specifically, let Medicare negotiate prices, just as it does for health care services. More generally, allow the reimportation of drugs. This is currently illegal, but current government policy is not to enforce that prohibition strictly when importing 90 days or less of drugs for personal use only. (Not that I'm advocating breaking the law.)

Unfortunately, I don't expect to see these changes anytime soon. About the only improvement coming down the pike is a gradual closing of the doughnut hole. This is yet another Medicare-specific ACA provision to contain health costs. In fact, one that the current Congress improved by accelerating the timeline to get rid of the hole a year ahead of schedule.

Overall, not the rosiest picture, but to paraphrase an old punchline, having this personal budgeting problem is better than the alternative.

• Interesting that the federal govt is phasing out Plan F (most popular) and Plan C Medigap plans starting in 2020 where you were covered 100% for all expenses and deductibles. They want to make sure you have to PAY something.
  • >> The writers you cite are ... just focused on bits and pieces.

So you have studied all of those articles and that's your conclusion: it's trees not forest?
  • >> The writers you cite are ... just focused on bits and pieces.

So you have studied all of those articles and that's your conclusion: it's trees not forest?

They never talked about "health costs" - you did. That was your term, your synthesis of what you read. Most of what you cited discusses health insurance costs. Is that what you mean by "health costs"?
  • JoeD said:

Interesting that the federal govt is phasing out Plan F (most popular) and Plan C Medigap plans starting in 2020 where you were covered 100% for all expenses and deductibles. They want to make sure you have to PAY something.

The high deductible Plan F is also going away. Which raises a question about whether the reason is really to get you to pay something. To make things even more confusing, a high deductible version of Plan G (essentially Plan F except for first dollar coverage) will be introduced.

One wonders whether any of the Congresscritters understand what they're doing:
    Prohibiting first-dollar Medigap coverage is therefore projected to reduce total Medicare spending and beneficiary spending, because exposure to higher cost-sharing requirements would lead enrollees to use fewer health care services. Requiring beneficiaries to pay higher cost-sharing, however, could also lead to higher aggregate spending over the long term for some vulnerable subpopulations, such as the chronically ill, beneficiaries dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid, and low-income seniors, if they forgo necessary services as a result, and use more high-cost, acute care services in the future.
    https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/medigap-reform-setting-the-context/
  • >> Most of what you cited discusses health insurance costs.

Uh, Reinhardt and others typically look to Kaiser and Milliman totals projections, no?
    Insurance is large part, natch. Costs of healthcare (not insurance) are bending, I read. Is your general point that the costs of healthcare are ... what? Doing okay? So why is that?

This is kinda dated.
    https://www.healthinsurancegeeks.com/2013/08/30/the-central-challenge-in-u-s-health-policy-by-uwe-e-reinhardt/

But maybe the question can be posed to these residents, or to their reps. Yes, it's chiefly about who pays, so far as I can see.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-senate-approves-medicaid-expansion-to-400000-low-income-residents/2018/05/30/5df5e304-640d-11e8-a768-ed043e33f1dc_story.html

I actually am not seeing that the earlier articles I cited missed the forest for the trees.
  • Someone cited Billionaires receiving SS, why shouldn't they? Just because you've been successful, it doesn't mean the government should be able to change the rules. Had the system been tweaked it would've been sustainable (with or without adequate birth rate).
  • BrianW said:

Someone cited Billionaires receiving SS, why shouldn't they? Just because you've been successful, it doesn't mean the government should be able to change the rules. Had the system been tweaked it would've been sustainable (with or without adequate birth rate).

You are right. WTF was I thinking dwelling on Morals. Let us all stick only to what is Legal.
  • @VintageFreak: You are right, WTF were you thinking. I don't recall morality being mentioned in the bill of rights. The problem with such thinking is who decides what is or isn't moral. Many of us believe it is immoral to take our money with the promise of giving it back someday, in some form. Unless of course someone comes along and decides I've been too successful to have 'my' money. Just like any other Ponzi scheme, SS will fail and we won't have to worry about it.
  • Social Security is about creating a safety net for those WHO NEED IT. If Mitt Romney who has/had an IRA worth $20MM and still accepts Social Security it's not a Ponzi Scheme.
  • It is a Ponzi scheme since its mere existence is predicated on the future contributions of others. In 1935 Social Security was designed to be a 'trust' fund, funded by workers.
    The intent was to address concerns of old age, poverty, unemployment, and retirement. It had the very noble intent of providing a pension to families (needy or otherwise). Of course around the time of the Vietnam war, some a-hole politician pondered, 'hey, look at all that money over there'!!!! And, the rest was history. So much for the noble idea. Now its just a slush fund of empty promises and corruption.
  • @BrianW, I think maybe you wanted to include an Image, but only text "image" is showing.

So I see what you are saying when you mean it depends on future contribution on others. However, so many other things also do the same? What is the difference between Income Tax and Social Security "tax" and Medicare "tax". Isn't is semantics? We tend to use the word "withholding", but everything is a tax. If all of us stopped paying taxes then Government "ponzi scheme" would collapse, no?

The idea behind SS was a "social contract". Now I know that sounds abhorrent to some. However, consider if congress does not keep spending the surplus and hadn't done so historically for years, SS wouldn't have been in trouble today. So if we want to lay blame for this "ponzi scheme" then let's lay it at the hands of those specifically responsible for it. Calling it "slush" and "corrupt" is your opinion, and I can accept that.
  • Few would argue with the idea that everyone should get the health care they need. There are at least two different areas of concern: (1) who pays for that health care, and (2) how much does that health care cost.

Nearly all the links you have provided have focused on the former, including the latest reporting on how Republicans in Virginia have moved to have the government pick up most of the health care costs of some of its citizens (by expanding Medicaid coverage).

As you just linked to a 2013 article, and seem to be fond of Krugman, it seems appropriate to look at what he said about health costs at the end of 2013. He wrote:
    And the “affordable” bit [of the ACA]wasn’t just about subsidizing premiums. It was also supposed to be about “bending the curve” — slowing the seemingly inexorable rise in health costs.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/29/opinion/krugman-obamacares-secret-success.html

So he viewed health costs as something different (i.e. in addition to) making insurance affordable. He surely wasn't saying that government subsidies or forcing healthy people to buy exchange plans were "bending the curve". They didn't exist when he wrote this column!

The Milliman study referenced in your link doesn't even agree with Krugman that the ACA as of the same date was "bending the curve" at all: "Since the passage of the ACA, we have seen little direct impact of the act for our typical family of four." And in Figure 10, it shows various major elements of the ACA as having little impact on the cost of care ("neutral"), an unknown effect ("?"), or increasing costs.

" Insurance is large part [of health costs], natch."

It's not clear whether Krugman even counts health insurance premiums as part of health costs (the Milliman study doesn't; neither do the CMS or OECD, except a small part, indirectly). ISTM that whatever you regard as health costs is different from how many others define health costs.

That brings us back to the unanswered question: What do you mean by "health costs" in your writing: "health costs are flattening, or were until GOP sabotage"?
  • "Of course around the time of the Vietnam war, some a-hole politician pondered, 'hey, look at all that money over there'!!!!"

Unmentioned is the fact that around the time of the Iraq war, some a-hole politician pondered, "let's just do this... who cares about how we pay for it?"

Taken together, the two examples suggest that a-hole politicians really don't much give a damn where the money is coming from, but then, that was hardly a secret.

The amount of money floating in the American monetary system is hardly a specific fixed amount, but varies from year to year, depending upon the totality of the operations of the government monetary system. When money is being added to the system, the actual point of entry also varies. Social Security is projected to have a shortfall sometime in the next twenty years or so. What's to prevent using the SS system as the point of entry for "new" money as it's added into the system? And please don't fall back on the worn-out shibboleth that this would immediately cause rampant inflation, because that is flatly not true.