Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: This Global Stock Fund Holds Promise: (MGGIX)

FYI: (The Linkster owns the C shares of this fund MSOPX.)
Morgan Stanley Global Opportunities employs a bold, focused approach to global investing and is on our radar. Manager Kristian Heugh, who trained under veteran Morgan Stanley growth manager Dennis Lynch, has managed this fund since its 2008 inception, and leads a team of four investors based in Hong Kong.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.morningstar.com/videos/860899/this-global-stock-fund-holds-promise.html

Lipper Snapshot MGGIX:
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/mggix

MGGIX Is Unranked In The (WS) Fund Category By U.S. News & World Report:
https://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/world-large-stock/morgan-stanley-inst-global-opp-port/mggix

Comments

• I own the international offering (MIOPX), which is run by the same manager and has a very good record thus far.
  • I was hoping the manager of these two strategies, Mr. Heugh, hidden away in Hong Kong, would not attract too much attention. Unfortunately, Baron's profiled him and now this comment from M*. The last thing I want is for big bucks to pour into MGGIX and MAFPX, which I hold. So, my self-serving advice: look, admire, covet, and restrain your desire to purchase.
  • BenWP said:

I was hoping the manager of these two strategies, Mr. Heugh, hidden away in Hong Kong, would not attract too much attention. Unfortunately, Baron's profiled him and now this comment from M*. The last thing I want is for big bucks to pour into MGGIX and MAFPX, which I hold. So, my self-serving advice: look, admire, covet, and restrain your desire to purchase.

Well, if this fund sucks wind going forward, one cannot blaim asset growth alone. First and foremost responsibility of protecting existing shareholders is for managers to close the fund.

I would say if this fund does badly it could really be because M* doesn't know what its talking about.

Morgan Stanley, bring down that wall, err... I mean close that fund.
  • Mr. Heugh's favorite stocks are Asian tech companies. If Chinese internet firms go south, it's likely that his MS funds will also. Heugh has also been given another fund, an Asia ex-Japan growth vehicle. As with the other two funds he manages, MS has created an alphabet soup of different share classes. If you click on "Management" on the M* site, then on "Other Assets Managed" under the manager's name, you get all the share classes. One symbol for the Asia Opportunities (about 39M in assets) is MSAUX. From what I can tell, you have to pay the load unless you've got a million to plunk down. Is there anyone on the board who knows what appears to be Finnish to me? Here's a fund Heugh managed: 06/2016 — 01/2017 Säästöpankki Aasia B.
  • MSAUX is available through Fidelity load-waived with a minimum initial investment of $2,500.00
  • MSAUX is available NTF at Vanguard for a $3,000 minimum initial investment.
    Did anyone notice the gross expense ratio is 6.36% ?