Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Amazon Unveils Futuristic Plan: Delivery by Drone

Comments

• edited December 2013
    I like this story. Some thoughts: Don't underestimate Bezos or Amazon.

(1) I recall 5-6 years back when their initial R&D for first Kindle e-reader was dismissed by many as far-fetched and sure to fail. At that time their future appeared to be in selling paper books and recorded music. Ha.

(2) The modest Kindle led to significant and profitable new businesses. Amazon now competes with Apple and others in the tablet business. Their servers business is huge, storing data for big firms like Netflix, as well for government agencies like the CIA (mentioned in a different portion of the 60-Minutes segment).

(3) Don't dismiss a spin-off into commercial aviation. Wouldn't rule out an Amazon "Dreamliner" to compete with Boeing 10 years out (and probably having lithium ion batteries that don't catch fire in flight)

(4) Think of the damage this could cause to FedX, UPS & the already floundering U.S. Postal Service.

(5) Might this somehow relate to Bezos' purchase of the Washington Post? That would be one classy way for your morning paper to show up at your door step.

(6) The cost savings would be enormous for Amazon. Think of the fuel burned by UPS while their clunky brown trucks sit idling in congested city traffic. And unlike UPS drivers. the drones won't demand health care or payments into Social Security, Medicare, or a 401K.

(7) On the fringe ... this recalls to mind the 1960s mining ship, Glomar Explorer, build by Howard Hughes ostensibly to deep mine the ocean floors for precious metals - but which was really a CIA commissioned front which they eventually used to retrieve portions of a sunken Soviet sub.
    http://www.faqs.org/espionage/Fo-Gs/Glomar-Explorer.html#b

(8) And Oh, Dogs are gonna love this thing:-)

• What's not to like:

1) The intended recipient must live within 10 miles of an Amazon distribution center.
    2) What size bird, flock of birds, shotgun pellet, and so on would take a delivery drone down?
    3) How many of these drones will fit in the airspace at one time and how many at once before they are seen as annoyances or pests?

I'm not against the idea or innovation, in fact I would like to know if one of these drones could deliver me one of the drones. I can see using one for resupplies on a long distance backpacking or canoe trip.
  • Reply to @Mark: (: My German Shepard will eat it for lunch.
  • Would the drones make more or less noise than the gas powered leaf blowers outlawed in my town?
  • edited December 2013
    Reply to @Mark: "I would like to know if one of these drones could deliver me one of the drones. I can see using one for resupplies on a long distance backpacking or canoe trip."

That should be possible. Amazon sells a large selection of remote control helicopters. One might possibly be adapted to your needs. Suspect they'll soon have heavier lift capability. Also, check out the Syma S-107C model for $30.86 with gyro, camera, and video recording capability. Maybe scout out ahead of the canoe for dangerous river hazards?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=toys-and-games&field-keywords=remote+control+hellicopter
  • Reply to @Rocky: It's called Jeff's "Pipe Dream", not going to happen
    Regards,
    Ted
  • 30 minute delivery - or it's free? Hey, I'll bet some pizza chain is going to pick up on this idea:-)
  • From Kenny Polcari this AM
    Committed to safety? This is a shopping mall and women are Stun Gunning each other? Really? It borders on IRRATIONAL STUPIDITY. And so it makes perfect sense that so many people will turn to the internet to do all of their Holiday Shopping…as Jeff Bezos (CEO Amazon) – writes in his new book The Everything Store –‘ he chronicles how Amazon became an ‘innovative, disruptive and often polarizing technology powerhouse’ wanting it to be the “One Stop Shop – where consumers buy EVERYTHING they need on Amazon”….and he is close to realizing that dream.
    Over the weekend – online sales accounted for 44% of all sales – that is up from 41% last year and 23% in 2006 and with ‘some consumers’ acting like caged animals why would you go to the mall?
    http://www.kennypolcari.com/2013/12/02/morning-thoughtschristmas-shopping-stun-guns-try-the-farro-risotto/
  • Howdy,

They'll do it and it will make sense in some situations. The 10 mile radius from a distribution center almost insures it will be in an urban center which means they'll need mini landing zones. feh. Apparently, amazon is dropping between $4-5B each year on shipping costs. Give it 4-5 years.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited December 2013
    Almost bought one of these in early 2012. Check the video footage at this homepage link. After selecting video from the first page, scroll down to "best user videos".

A neighborhood crime watch group has a new and better meaning.....!!!

'Course, back in the day; when the "gang" had our BB guns, well, what wonderful flying targets these would provide.:) One may suppose a 9mm would be the standard choice in some parts of the country, today.