Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited October 2013
    So, why would Norway even need to borrow money if it's "net debts are minus 175% of gross domestic product"? The only reason that I can think of is that they can borrow at 3% and make a bit more in investment income on that borrowed money.
  • edited October 2013
    Appears today at noon, that a deal has already been struck among the D.C. crowd and the word was passed around last night; with the rush to equities and the Euroland. Safe bonds today will not do so well.
    The old, "move along, there is nothing to see here."
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @catch22: There is no confirmation of a deal - my favorite moment this morning - CNBC flash news blurb on bottom of the screen: "Stocks rise on RUMOR of a deal." Additionally, the deal revolves around a DELAY - kicking the can yet again. I'm not saying there isn't or won't be a deal, just that this is all rather absurd and the risk becomes people going on a rumor and hype.
  • edited October 2013
    Hi scott,
    I agree, as to rumor and related.
    My note was strictly related to the 6am futures and movement until noon; and nothing to do with rumors or other reports at the time.
    But, the inside and behind the scenes folks knew about the rumor of a deal; to the point of driving equity up for now. Let us find what plays after 2:30 pm, eh? More profit taking or ?
    Take care,
    Catch
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Cash flow, maybe? To meet payroll obligations, etc., without having to tap into $ that might be making more in long-term investments in their sovereign wealth fund, say.
  • edited October 2013
    Yes, I have to bet that there will be massive selling into today's rally. As usual, since..... Several years, now. Because there is no FUNDAMENTAL confidence in Mr. Market. The universe is skewed, rotating off kilter, but managing somehow not to spin into the abyss. the R2K is up by 2.21% at 2:07 p.m. on Thursday. That's not going to hold, or I will eat my hat.
  • Reply to @AndyJ: Sure, cash flow sounds right. Pay 3% short-term and make more than that long-term.
  • TedTed
    edited October 2013
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: Eating one's hat can taste very bland. How about some chocolate, Vanilla, or strawberry ?
    Regards,
    Ted
    RUT 2000: (UP) 2.49%http://finance.yahoo.com/q;_ylt=AqGLIqypq9EzD.FGvFcvo65vNu8C;_ylu=X3oDMTExdWNyaWw1BHBvcwMxMQRzZWMDeWZpUXVvdGVzVGFibGUEc2xrA3J1dA--?s=^RUT
  • Reply to @Ted: If you've been wearing that hat for a long time I'll bet it's worse than bland!
  • It is deal to extend debt ceil for only 6 more weeks. Than we will be back to square one. No deal on government shutdown...

Do they enjoy leading this country from one crisis to another? Congress at record low popularity!
  • Reply to @Investor: Well, if Norway can manage it's debt to -175% of GDP maybe Congress can manage it's popularity into negative territory also!
  • edited October 2013
    Reply to @Investor: It should be clear at this point they don't care. Watch CNBC, watch MSNBC, watch Fox, watch whatever. Interviews with these politicians are downright depressing because it's not rational discussion - it's yell-y talking points and pointing fingers.
  • edited October 2013
    It's actually worse than old, uncooked crow. ;) ..... But wait! Don't I have some Old Crow around these parts??? THAT should help to digest the hat. (Grin.)

In this case, I'm glad I'm wrong.:) Let's see what the portf. looks like TONIGHT... But I'm still grossly overweight, overseas. I'm approx. 50/50 equities/stocks, but only 8% stocks in the USA. MAPOX (with its own bonds, too) and MSCFX.

(Just looked: MAPOX rose 1.36% today, and MSCFX was up drastically, by 2.28%. I'll be trading-in the Old Crow for some Johnny Walker Blue Label.)

"Blue Label: Johnnie Walker's premium 80-86 proof (40-43% ABV[16][17]) blend with no age statement. Johnnie Walker Blue Label, also known as Max Walker, is blended to recreate the character and taste of some of the earliest whisky blends created in the 19th century. Bottles are numbered serially and sold in a silk-lined box accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. It is one of the most expensive blended Scotches on the market, with prices in the range of US $200–$300."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Walker