Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Emerging market equity and allocation fund options

Art
edited September 2013 in Fund Discussions
A recent notification by Mr. Snowball and Bob C. that Emerging markets may be a place to invest for the future for a higher potential of return compared to other areas. A few funds come to mind that may work. The funds listed below are EM Allocation funds that are relatively new without much of a public record.

Do you have funds to recommend that may be off the radar?

Art

TGMEX
http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?region=USA&t=TGMAX

EMMOX
http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/emmox/f?pgid=hetopquote&t=EMMOX

A fund mentioned by a poster I had never heard of is EAEMX.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=EAEMX&region=USA

Comments

• edited September 2013
    There's FEO for CEF fans -- selling at an unusually huge discount now, like so many CEFs.

• edited September 2013
    TGMEX does look quite interesting with an ER offered now at 1.26% (relatively attractive in this space where most funds have high ERs) and from a good EM shop --- although they are more well-known for their EM bond expertise but they do cover EM equities in their Institutional accounts.

The 2 TCW managers of the well-run TGEIX fund are also managers of TGMEX.

Brief webcast discussion with fund manager:
    http://www.thestreet.com/video/11976088/new-tcw-fund-offers-bric-twist.html

• "near-term"

Uhh ... no. Just to be clear: I have no earthly clue about what's going to happen in the near-term. Historically, a 50% drop from here is not out of the question. My argument is simply that valuations are, by traditional measures, very low and that low valuations typically precede high returns.

And Morningstar is quite taken with EAEMX.

David
  • Art
    edited September 2013
    Reply to @David_Snowball:

After EAEMX was recommended on MFO I checked it out. Not sure what makes it so good. What am I missing?

Art
  • Reply to @Art: Which fund? Parametric (EAEMX)?
  • edited September 2013
    Reply to @Art: I thought in the original thread EAEMX was a typo for WAEMX. At least it seemed to me that way. W and E are side by side on the qwerty keyboard.
  • Reply to @Investor: I felt the same. It was typo, I guess.
  • Reply to @mrc70:

No typo. Once nice thing if it was I could change it. Cool.

• Reply to @Art: EAEMX, is formally known as Eaton Vance Parametric Emerging Market fund, Investor share.
    performance.morningstar.com/fund/performance-return.action?t=EAEMX&region=USA&culture=en-US

From what I gather is that the fund has a smaller allocation to the BRIC countries in MSCI-EM/FTSE-EM indeces in addition to some exposure to frontier market. See the "asset by country" and "geographic mix" sections. This year frontier market has outpaced the EM by sizable margin that has contributed to somewhat better performance.
    funds.eatonvance.com/Parametric-Emerging-Markets-Fund-EAEMX.php

This fund is now available through Fidelity as NTF fund and with front-load waived. Noted that the ER is at 1.42%.
  • Reply to @Art: Too bad. WAEMX is a better fund than EAEMX. This year both has lost however, EAEMX lost less and has performed a bit better on some years by losing a few percent less but upside on WAEMX was far better and made up that loss much more quicker and delivered more over longer periods.
  • Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: The TGMEX portfolio looks interesting, and it's doing okay so far considering when it launched. Have to check on the chops of the managers in stock investing, but it's worth a spot on the watch list, for sure.