Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Big Mo Express On Track #5: All Aboard !

TedTed
edited August 2013 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Its still not to late to get on board.
Regards,
Ted
SPY: Up 1.15%
IJH: Up 2.02%
PRHSX: Up 1.62%

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Hey Ted,

I am on board ... and, I own about 40% of an equtiy freight train myself within my portfolio. Hey and as the equity train climbs the mountain ... let us not forget ... it has to make a decent at some point in time.

Now where would you best like to board this train at its peak ... or, in the valley? Most likely the better value and the longest ride can be bought in the valley before it starts to climb the big hill. And, in my thinking it is now at a pretty high elevation.

Good Investing,
    Skeeter

• Reply to @Skeeter:

Skeeter,

How is this first summer of retirement treating you?

Not sure what to think of all this banter back and forth about the market going up and down. Ted has been right on many occasions before but my crystal ball is broken right now. The time to buy was 2008.

How come buy low and sell high does not apply to bond funds? Or does it?

Art

...But Gaffney says rates are headed higher, and that outflows will be tremendous when the market registers that the economy has real traction—something she expects sooner, rather than later. "It's dicey, but there's opportunity if you have the right tools and experience going into markets when they are breaking—and I do see a lot of breaks coming my way......When interest rates rise and investors start to flee, she is ready with money—36% of the new bond fund is in cash—and a wish list of specific securities she expects investors to dump in the short term, but that she says will prove to be good investments over three to five years.

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748704836204578340063783260022.html#articleTabs_article=1
  • "Cyprus" anyone?
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Art, hank, and others:

Here is what Fotress to Blackstone say, Now Is Time to Sell on Rally ... "Its almost biblical: there is a time to reap and there's a time to sow!"

As the two of you know, and some others also, I was equity heavy (60%) in my equity allocation as the market came off the devil's low of 666 as I felt equities in general were extremely oversold. Through the rebound I have been selling my equity allocation down by about 5% per year and now have arrive at about the low range (40%) for me in my asset allocation. Through those years I'd play the seasonal strategy along the way along with raising my equity allocation during pull backs and then playing the rebound.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-01/fortress-to-blackstone-say-now-is-time-to-sell-on-rally.html

So this sounds reasonable to me ... and, that is what I've been doing all along. And, I have made some good money along the way in reaping the sow.

I wish all ... "Good Investing."

Skeeter
  • edited August 2013
    Reply to @Skeeter: Apollo is a leading global alternative investment manager with offices in New York, Los Angeles, Houston, London, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, Singapore, Mumbai and Hong Kong. Apollo had assets under management of approximately $114 billion as of March 31, 2013.

Skeet: When these folks take to quoting from Scripture, I take note. Thanks

(Information from Business Wire via The Mötley Fool)
  • edited August 2013
    re "Track 5":

Don't overlook the recent train wrecks in Canada and Spain- when the train's going way too fast for the trackage a derailment is not uncommon. The engineers involved in both situations were very experienced old hands... as is Ted.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Don't worry the 'Big Mo Express' is under total control for maximum returns.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: Well, as I've mentioned before, this is not a "retirement" portfolio... retirement is safely under control. It's merely an investment portfolio, and I'm not needing or looking for maximum return... merely a decent return, and I've no complaints on that score. I do wish you well... just be ready to jump if things get a little shaky.