Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MSCFX down 3.85% 4/15/2013

edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
Well, normally Max keeps us posted about the performance of this fund...

He might want to forget about it today. Max I feel your pain! It is an aggressive fund.

Still, it is only the 5th in the list.

Today, 4/15/2013

RPCSX -4.60%
WSCVX -4.20%
HDPSX -4.13%
HUSIX -3.86%
MSCFX -3.85%
SSSFX -3.74%
PARSX -3.63%
CCASX -3.61%
FSCRX -3.54%
WMCVX -3.42%
NAESX -3.42% (Vanguard small cap index)
PNVDX -3.39%
GRTVX -3.32%
RYDVX -3.25%
RYVPX -3.15%
ARTSX -3.13%
CIPSX -2.95%
BCSIX -2.92%
JSCVX -2.90%
RYSEX -2.76%
VVPSX -2.52%
WAAEX -2.50%
QRSVX -2.38%
ARIVX -2.16%
ICMAX -1.57%
PVFIX -1.32%

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Edit: Delete, Delete, Delete (my previous comments) A frustrating day for me too.
  • Slammed today also...FAAFX and FAIRX down more than 3%...and IRS made it doubly painful (and Boston explosives triply so). Only positives were RNSIX and BOND.
  • Yes, MSCFX was down the most, of the funds I own.
    In addition:
    MAPOX -1.41%
    MAPIX -1.46%
    MAINX -0.18%
    MACSX -1.08%
    SFGIX -1.63%
    TRAMX -2.17%
    PREMX -0.14%

DLFNX was UP! Just a penny, at +0.09%
    .......And at last, the share price is back ABOVE the price where I bought-in, at $11.39 per share!

My full portfolio was down 0.90%. Hurts.
  • Tuesday may very well be the best day to buy-into stocks in a long time.
  • edited April 2013
    Reply to @Charles:

Well, I meant to keep this thread to Small Caps but since you started...

PRAFX down 4.32%

Remaining Hussman investors should be happy today if they do not mind the past couple of years!
    HSGFX up 0.67%.
    HSIEX up 0.31%

WHOSX up 0.72%
    RPHYX up 0.10%
    WBLSX up 0.10%
  • Reply to @Investor: LOL - HSGFX up less than 1% on a day like that. Wonder if he's holding miners in that one too?
  • The only stock funds/etf's I have on watchlists (too many) that were down less than 1% on the Ides of April were EWJ, MSMLX, & WAFMX ... and MACSX just barely missed.
  • Reply to @Investor:

Looking at some other profiled funds:

COBYX -0.73%
    SFGIX -1.63%
    MAPIX -1.46%
    MACSX -1.08%
    MAINX -0.18%
    APPLX -2.87%

Long/Short or Hedged equity style investing funds:

ARLSX -1.54%
    RLSFX -1.61%
    WBLSX +0.10%
    MFLDX -1.91%
    FMLSX -2.52%
    BPLSX -0.28%
    BPRRX -1.17%
  • Given all of the discussion lately it's hard not to notice where ARIVX came in on the Small Cap list generated by Investor.
  • Reply to @Mark: yes, the downside was limited but not enough to compensate lack of upside. ARIVX only recovered 0.09% today.
  • Reply to @Investor: YTD ARIVX is *barely* above water and its YTD and one year performance is atrocious compared to its peer group. Not my idea of creating wealth via mutual funds.
  • Thursday, 18th April: over the last few very bad days, MSCFX Mairs & Power Small-cap is indeed down a lot. This is one holding I can be precise about in terms of its performance in my portfolio, because I know EXACTLY how much I invested here, and what the share price is from day to day, right from the start. Over these latest few lousy days, my MSCFX position is down -8%. (Gulp.) That's down from a high of up as far as +32% for me. Ouch. But I'm keeping it. Yes indeed, I'm keeping it. It's got a long way to go, still a very young fund. I took a chance with it soon after its launch and I can hardly complain.
  • edited April 2013
    Reply to @MaxBialystock: MSCFX growth versus its 10-mo SMA:

• Reply to @Charles: Not sure what's going on with the chart -- M&P Small has only been around since 2011. Was there another fund with that ticker before 2008?
  • Yes, and I'm sorry to say I do not know what that abbreviation means, either: SMA. Thanks for the work, though, Charles.

• edited April 2013
  • Thank you, Mark.