Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Stay in Medigap Plan F?

2»

Comments

• I assume my deductible and my copay are additive ($200 +$1800 = $2000). At that point the cost of meds are fully coverage by my plan...whoopie!

Yup. Took me years to understand the interplay between copays, deductibles, and out of pocket max's, especially when there are some payments that don't count against that max. But I was much younger and inexperienced in the ways of convoluted insurance back then.

That's quite a load you're carrying. Once one goes over $100/mo for MA it is worth a look at original Medicare plus Medigap + Part D (drugs). That will cost even more than the $1200/yr MA you're facing, but you could come out ahead if you are hospitalized or have lots of copays or coinsurance charges. Depends on health and expectations. No one size fits all.

Don't know about Costco's hearing service, but we've been very happy with Costco's eye services. Note that the optometrist uses Costco space but is operating independently (and takes credit cards brands in addition to Visa). The opticians are part of Costco.

BTW, the terms of art are:
    copay - fixed amount (e.g. $20 for a doctor visit)
    coinsurance - percentage amount (e.g. 20% of contracted rate for a doctor visit under original Medicare)
    cost sharing - any arrangement such as the above where the insurer pays part and you pay part

• does any one have experience filling prescriptions with Cost Plus (Mark Cuban)? I think they sell all drugs at cost plus 15%.
  • When it works, it's fine. It is a front end for two pharmacies, Truepill and HealthDyne. (Wikipedia, as it is wont to do, has wrong information, listing only Truepill.)

The price you pay is cost + 15% + $5/prescription + $5/order. This information is on its homepage.
    https://costplusdrugs.com/

Sometimes it doesn't have the best prices, once you add in the $10 ($5 + $5) fixed cost. It is only slowly getting into nonsolid (i.e. liquid) medications. Shop carefully. I check with half a dozen different discount card price lists as well as with CostPlus.

When CostPlus added HealthDyne last year it literally lost track of my prescription. Upon contacting them (which can only be done via email), it claimed that it no longer carried the drug. That was wrong information and many weeks later (after I'd filled the prescription elsewhere) the prescription magically reappeared. 

Operating in the US, it cannot sell gray market drugs. If you want to buy a generic that is only available outside of the US, you still have to go to "Canadian" pharmacies or elsewhere.