Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

America Risks Running Out of Tickers for Single-Stock ETFs

America Risks Running Out of Tickers for Single-Stock ETFs
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-risks-running-tickers-single-114608198.html

Hoarding and stockpiling tickers, proliferating leveraged single-stock ETFs, 'fierce' competition .... what could go wrong for the Average Investor here?

Comments

• " leveraged single-stock ETF's"

Boy Howdy. I thought I was fairly up date on market offerings bot those are new things for me. And btw, no thanks.
  • Time to buy gold, ammunition, and freeze-dried food.
  • They'll just have to allow vulgarities, slurs, epithets, and unseemly references. Yeah, so, I mean, like unregulated capitalism.
  • edited October 7
    Can you invest in just the tickers?
  • edited October 8
    A devastating First World problem, for sure!
  • Call out the cavalry!
  • Reminds me of the 'gold rush' companies used to do when reserving domain names for products/services ... they'd buy them in a ton of countries/TLDs and various permutations of them to protect against typosquatting. Now many will also buy "--sucks" names to try and minimize legally-protected satire or protests for their products.

It becomes a mania for companies, trust me ... I worked at the center of all that back during Dot Com.
  • Do we really think wall street won't figure out a way to sell us more stuff?
  • edited October 8
    A nonissue.

Only the current rules for single stock eTF tickers are too restrictive.

Reserving tickers shouldn't be free, but should have some nominal cost. Also, copycat tickers shouldn't be allowed - those reserved by others that are similar to existing company names/tickers.

Look at how the ADRs are named. The ADR tickers may have identifiable letters, or not. They end in Y or F.

So, single stock ETFs can just end in S.

Many foreign tickers are all numbers (Japan, S Korea, HK), so a mix of letters and numbers can be used.

All mutual funds have 5-letter tickers that end in X.

There are also thousands of Nasdaq/NFN tickers for funds that don't trade - VAs, etc. Nasdaq charges a small fee for those. These 6-letter tickers start with Q and end in X, e.g. QzzzzX. MFOP now recognizes several.
  • edited October 9
    Some possible available (etf) ticker suggestions - DOWN, DUD, CRAP ….

PS - I’ve checked and found these not being used.