Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

NATE SILVER polling data web site + original 538 data site link ADDED

edited September 25 in Off-Topic
Polls..........well, they are what they are; and they make me scratch my head, but I still watch. You may save the site or return to the link here; as the site data will continue to be updated.

Forecast data LINK.

Comments

• @catch22- Thanks for that link.
    OJ
  • edited September 24
    Those are polling averages, weighted by recency, the record of the polling organization, house bias, and other factors.

The Silver Bulletin's a good place to go anytime the news of one freaky-looking poll comes out and gets headlines in the MSM, like the NYT/Siena poll on some swing states did a few days ago. The averages tamp down the outliers, and it's the averages that usually get it right or somewhere close to it.

But the averagers also need to be taken into account; Silver and his old 538.org are about the best, while others are less authoritative (e.g., WaPo).
  • Hi @AndyJ
    I agree that this site is the best mix of data for a decent overview. I'm don't know that many were aware of the old '538' site; but this is the reason I placed this here.
  • Gotcha, @catch22. I brought 538 up only because it's distinct now from Nate's site.
  • Per AndyJ I've placed this link. Both sites are well done.
    Notification also to @Old_Joe
    The original 538 polling data site, which does have different graphic views.
  • Polling data is useful for popular vote counts. It is the electoral college votes that elect the president. So I watch the battleground states: MI, WI, PA, NC,GA, NV, and AZ. 2016 election should remind folks that winning the popular votes does not guarantee the presidency as commented by David Axelrod, former advisor to President Obama.

This is going to be a tight race.
  • Ronny Ray-guns: "Government is not the solution to our problems; government IS the problem." As good a touchstone remark as any to trace back the current disastrous polarization. The likes of J.D. Vance are operating with that very philosophy.

Yes, gummint is screwed up. But a big piece of that picture is Repugnant Party obstructionism. And I can't do "Woke." I personally reject the whole nanny-state modus operandi. But government DOES have a purpose: to preclude anarchy and SERVE the public. If it's not doing a good job, fix it--- don't KILL it. Jaypers.
  • edited September 30
    Sven said:

I watch the battleground states: MI, WI, PA, NC,GA, NV, and AZ.

Yes, same here, and the sites Catch posted show polling averages for states too (the Silver Bulletin shows them right on the main page). Bottom line: the non-fascists win the EC with the three Midwestern states and the Omaha area congressional district in NE. The latter has been trending blue and current polling looks good.

If those three states and one NE district come thru, AZ, GA, NC and/or NV would be gravy (and maybe helpful in tamping down the election deniers' violence if some of those states come thru).
  • "current polling looks good"

OK to think, but not out loud! Not out loud!
  • Curses! Escaped my lips (urr, fingertips) bypassing safeguards. Sure hope scratching out the offending passage appeases Jupiter, or Zeus, or whichever one of those guys rules that roost.