Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Fund to ETF Convertor

edited April 2013 in Fund Discussions
For those who are interested:

http://etfdb.com/tool/mutual-fund-to-etf/

Comments

• Thank you, Mark! Yet another useful bookmark. Rick
  • I am not sure how useful that fund is for flexible mandate funds...

I looked up FLPSX, FRIFX and GLRBX and was not excited with the offered ETF matches...

A more useful tool would decompose the actual allocation of current fund like M* X-Ray does and propose a portfolio that matches that allocation adjusting the weights of components based on say X months price regression analysis.
  • Reply to @Investor: I'm sure it would, you should build one.
  • Reply to @Mark: Sorry Mark. I did not want to offend you.

The best the tool could offer matching funds would be for pure index mutual funds. Next best would be long only funds that stick to a particular asset class and style.
  • beebee
    edited April 2013
    I have used this in the past to garner comparable Funds or ETFs...thanks for reminding me.

I also like the FundMojo site. As part of its offerings it list comparable funds and ETFs as well as a link below its fund choices to a more extensive list of top performing managers in its catagory.

Here's James Golden Rainbow linked...scrolled down a bit to find the comparison data and the link to top performing managers.

fundmojo-GLRBX

This is the link best performing managers in its catagory:
    fundmojo - bestmanagers -Conservative+Allocation
  • Reply to @Investor: I wasn't offended, I pretty much agree with you. I also think you have a good knack for breaking a mutual fund into its component parts and possibly the technological skills to write a program that would generate the results you stated but I don't know if that's your passion or skill set. Still, the tool you describe would be a better option. Although mutual funds compare themselves to this or that index all the time I don't think it hardly ever is an apples to apples comparison.
  • edited April 2013
    Reply to @Mark: Thanks. I actually want to do such useful tools but don't have much time left after regular job and family.

I spent much of my time today waiting around tennis courts while my son play. We will go back again in an hour. I need to spend some extra time tonight coding for my work project which I am a bit behind schedule:(