Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Things I'm Watching....

Hi guys,
Just wondering what your thoughts on some things are. I'm watching FDFAX, FSRNX, FNARX, FFNOX, FNSTX. Not saying they're great funds. Just can buy today and have no timeframe on the hold. Also looking at XLU, HSY, PPL, HACK.
Am thinking August-September-October timeframe or selloff. Your thoughts would be welcomed and appreciated.

God bless
the Pudd

Comments

• @Puddnhead When I saw your header, I thought you were talking the price of beer !! I have no comment on your choices as I'm pretty much on a hold pattern until election day draws near.
  • The only things I'm watching market-wise are utilities to buy and potentially INTC.
  • edited June 21
    Sitting tight. Normal 10% cash allocation is at 15% pending a sizable withdrawal / distribution later this summer. Than back to 10%. Labor is in short supply so I don’t know when the infrastructure work will begin.

I watch the precious metals. If I were going to take a stab at something it would be GLTR. There’s a certain “fun” aspect to playing in that area. But that stuff has had a few good years and I don’t usually buy things that have risen a lot. Don’t usually mention specific CEFs, but I watch (and have owned in the past) GGN which plays in the miners and appears to be a pretty gentle behaving security considering its exposure to gold. But, again, it’s had a couple hot years recently, so not buying.

I watch scotch brands and prices. Testing a bottle of Glenfiddich 12-year right now and quite impressed. Enjoyed some Glenfarclas 12-year recently on United. Great stuff, but at $79 will need to grow the portfolio a bit more. United’s scotch is better than their planes.
  • @hank ; what size bottle are we talking ? Local bar at one time offered shots of the high priced booze. Seems highest price was like $30 a taste .
  • edited June 21
    @Derf - The standard size of a bottle of scotch is 750 ML. That would provide 15 (generous) servings of 50 ML each, which happens to be the size of those “shooters” handed out or sold on planes.
  • BTW I just had some Scotch from India Kamet

Was pretty good and only $47 a bottle vs Talisker at $65
  • OMG. Scotch again. Yes, soon. You've reignited my desire for it. I was just on a bunch of airplanes, myself: AA. Decent, no surprises. But it seemed to me the planes were all kept COLD, like 64 degrees or thereabouts. Not fun. Final leg was from LAX to HNL. Seemed an eternity. No Scotch for me on those flights!
  • Hi guys,
    rforno: Yeah, I am watching utilities too. Bought PPL a while back at 23. Would like to buy more but only on a pullback. Hoping the AI run on utilities is over. I bought it for EVs. Also added HACK because of AI as the bad people will just get slicker, I think.
    God bless
    the Pudd

p.s., I don't care for Scotch. I'll stick to long necks.
  • edited June 22
    Puddnhead said:

I don't care for Scotch. I'll stick to long necks.

Afraid I’m of no help in that respect. Either the flavor of beer has deteriorated in recent years or I’m losing my taste for it. But I’ll make an exception for Founder’s Porter. Excellent flavor and brewed in Michigan.

@Puddenhead - Nice to hear from you. Hope you find the ideas shared here (excluding those on scotch) helpful. I find the site invaluable. Even those with whom I disagree over how to invest (there are a few) cause me to rethink my approach and double-check / put to the test what I’m doing and why.

Take care
  • Hi Hank,
    Good to hear from you. Hope you and yours are well.
    I'll do the Scotch first.....yuk! It's all yours, Bro.....lol. Not into Porter, I'm afraid. Too heavy. I feel like a whale after a few.

As far as ideas on the Board, I always felt it was a strong point especially when people don't agree with you. Like you said, it causes one to pause and reflect which is good at all times.

Some things I miss on the Board: he is both conspicuous and greatly missed by his absence.....of course, you know I mean Ted. Things have changed forever with him gone. Another is Old Skeet. No here....but that's life.

It's hard to believe I'm retired 7 years already. As I always said, getting old is not for sissies...lol!

I wish you all well.
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • @Puddnhead who said - "As far as ideas on the Board, I always felt it was a strong point especially when people don't agree with you. Like you said, it causes one to pause and reflect which is good at all times."

Absolutely! I'm all for it. It's hard to be totally convinced of ones own arguments and opinions without consideration of opposing viewpoints but please back them up with credible facts/citations/references rather than just spitting out whatever you think will stick.
  • edited June 22
    I do miss Ted. He had his detractors for sure and lots of faults. But he’ll always have a place in my heart. I find that on occasion when I mention something he said in one of my posts, I still subconsciously use @Ted as if he were still able to read my comment. A tribute to the immense presence he held for so long.

Many have stepped forward and filled whatever void was created. IMHO the board is in better shape today than back in Ted’s time with a strong supporting cast and a workload spread more evenly across many. So many knowledgeable people here willing to share what they’ve learned over a lifetime of investing or just managing finances.
  • edited June 22
    Puddnhead said:

”It's hard to believe I'm retired 7 years already … “

Watched an MLB game last night between Seattle & Miami. Ruined the evening when the announcer mentioned that Seattle’s starting pitcher was born the same year I retired. To make things worse I lost $2 on the game.

Enjoy retirement @Pudd. Try to stay healthy. Careful with those longnecks.
  • @hank, beer may never be your preferred beverage, but you sure picked a good one in Founders Porter. Happens to be my current favorite right now, If you ever are inclined to try another brand, Great Lakes in Cleveland has some excellent choices. I'd suggest the Edmunds Fitzgerald porter or the Elliot Ness amber.
  • edited June 23
    You guys like my kind of beer, @hank and @MikeM . Founders Porter and Elliot Ness amber are two of my favorite beers, when I can find them. Unfortunately, the local stores seem to think that everyone only wants IPAs. It has become increasingly difficult to find amber and brown ales, porters and stouts around here. Meanwhile, the stores and bars stock endless varieties of IPAs
  • Three Floyds Zombie Dust. Or, really, anything 3 Floyds.
  • edited June 23
    The VESPER:
    "...When James Bond orders his signature drink from the bartender, he provides strict instructions, which leaves little ambiguity in how to prepare the cocktail: “A dry martini. One. Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel.”

• What else am I watching? INTEREST RATES. I'm overweight Financials.
  • edited June 23
    @Crash Are they talking ounces as parts or jigger ?
    Guess that should read measure not parts.
  • I am watching my Tech stocks as they are +10% of portfolio. How long can they keep going up. NVDA and AVGO lead the way for me. Do you take profit or not?
  • I guess that might depend on how badly one needs that profit. If needs are not critical, it might be wise to just take the money and run. If you need a certain amount of profit to accomplish a certain important goal, then you have to do what you have to do, and hope for the best. "Round and round the wheel goes, and where it stops no one knows..."
  • Derf said:

@Crash Are they talking ounces as parts or jigger ?
    Guess that should read measure not parts.

Everything to scale, surely?:)
  • Hi guys,

Yeah, the classic dilemma.....should I stay or should I go? I think The Kinks sang that. Everything is tech...it's everywhere. Think AI.

My top sector, according to Fido, is tech - 27%; healthcare - 23%. My largest holding is FXAIX at 32%.

Have some cash in MM, but where to go? Big question.

Just waiting now. Getting a list together for later. The market moves so fast you have to be ready.

So I agree with you, Art, what to do. I think I'll just ask the Dukester. See what he thinks....lol!
    God bless
    the Pudd
  • The song is by the Clash, not The Kinks. Still the question lingers, to be answered individually.
  • maybe be careful with owning stonks/funds w/international exposure...if everyone's favorite candidate on this board meaning The Orange Man wins....or if Biden looks lost in this week's debate...int'l stocks might get stomped...why? Maybe due to thinking that tariff's will increase along with the other side increasing tariff's as well.

Who knows, right?

Baseball Fan
  • Hi guys,

Thanks swamprev! Should have known that......ah, well....good catch anyway. Yes, each will have their own tolerance for risk.

Also, I know all of you are awaiting the Dukester's call. He seems to be a good politician, at least. He wanted a bone to think about it some more, so could be awhile.

Baseball_Fan: Yeah, not having anything overseas. Now the South China Sea is my worry with the Philippines. Should we stay or should we go? Need an answer soon.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • Doing more waiting than watching, waiting for a correction of sorts so I can put my accumulating cash to work in my perpetual watch list. I tend to be 75-85% invested in equities at all times but nothing looks appealing at this juncture. In the meantime my income pays the bills and 5-5.15% interest in a MM account is satisfactory.
  • edited June 24
    Similar to @Mark, I’m “comfy” where I am. Never been one to play around in the S&P index funds or much in tech. Nice that people have made a ton there - just not for me. Very diversified. Just 1 stock. That one’s in the consumers staples area that I view as a defensive holding likely to hold its own or even rise when the high-fliers fall to earth (but not true of the broader sector).

I’m a bit high on cash. Nearly put a bit to work this morning on GHC which I sold late last year for $685-$690. Currently back down to $700. Naw. Not worth the gamble.

Thanks @MikeM and @Tarwheel for the beer suggestions. Will give ‘em a try. Still searching for the perfect scotch. Both the Glenfiddich 12 I’m working on now and the Glenlevit 12 that preceded it are pretty decent. But not sold on either. Tried JWB Double-Black once and couldn’t see that it’s any better than their regular. But I’ve noticed another JWB on the shelves that’s more expensive than Double Black. May give it a try next.
  • maybe be careful with owning stonks/funds w/international exposure...if everyone's favorite candidate on this board meaning The Orange Man wins....or if Biden looks lost in this week's debate...int'l stocks might get stomped...why? Maybe due to thinking that tariff's will increase along with the other side increasing tariff's as well.

Who knows, right?

Baseball Fan

Smoot-Hawley II. That will be fun.