Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Thanks for sharing this. Primecap closed since 2004 it says. What has changed that would prompt this opening now?
  • I have been in the closed VG VHCAX for years and been watching VG PRIMECAP also for years. I now have minimum+ in these reopened funds. As to why, I will worry about that later.
  • I am happy to be a new VPMAX owner. Never thought I would see the day when it reopened.
  • edited June 19
    Eight or nine years of redemptions probably explains it.

BTW, those consistent redemptions have resulted in years and years of significant capital gains distributions. On an after-tax basis both of these funds have underperformed the S&P 500, by more than 100 bps a year for over a decade.
  • VPMCX is the first mutual fund I ever owned back in 1985/86.
  • edited June 18
    This almost feels like the moment when PRWCX announced closure and I snuck in before building a sizable position that's done okay by me .... I'd be inclined to get a toehold in it now, but not thrilled about having to create another account just for it, so not jumping anytime soon. Blergh.
  • edited June 18
    Its heyday may be over? Last 5 years 2019-2023 or YTD it hasn't even kept up with the SP500 (VOO) Why pay ER .31 (VPMAX adm) vs ER .03 (VOO). On 200k that's $620 vs $60.
  • edited June 18
    I am pretty certain it was 1992 when I jumped at the chance to buy re-opened low turnover Primecap shares for a taxable account. I felt fairly lucky, except SEQUX caused some fund envy. But of course, that envy disappeared in time. Other than MM holdings, VPMAX became my largest position - now ~13% of PV. Given the mediocre performance for several recent years, I certainly wouldn't mind if it reverted to its historical mean.
  • am wondering if this is a long awaited chance for a non-fundamental price spike to unload my unhealthy primecap overweight. not to mention the distaste of re-opening at mkt peaks.
    is there a site that tracks fund flow\sentiment vs statistical estimate of forward performance, or any such related phenom ?
    (and did the morningstar fund flows section vanish?)

minor note : since primecap does not have a sister etf at vanguard, my understanding is that any\all trading does not benefit from a shared tax structure.
    if all primecap does is buy from flows, the yield may go up via cash interest.
  • It’s not available yet at Schwab…. I’m wondering if they’re only going to make it available at Vanguard…. I am not going to open up a special account there just to get access.
  • MFO Premium now has a new tool FLOW that shows fund AUM, flow & TR. So, one can see some historical patterns.

In M* Performance tab, fund flows are shown at the bottom of the charts.
  • rforno said:

This almost feels like the moment when PRWCX announced closure and I snuck in before building a sizable position that's done okay by me .... I'd be inclined to get a toehold in it now, but not thrilled about having to create another account just for it, so not jumping anytime soon. Blergh.

Reopening not closing!
  • VPMAX has been a fine fund since inception but since I was then late to the game I invested in BIAWX to complement FCNTX. Pull up a 10-yr chart. Beat me with a stick if you want but I have since sold FCNTX and put those funds into FXAIX.
  • Buying into the S&P 500 seems like buying into megacaps but then adding 300 "smaller" companies for what? Seasoning? Diversification?

If the decision is to go with megacaps, then why bother with that dreck? Or if the decision is to diversify across the market (despite smaller companies having not fared as well as megacaps in the past), consider buying into funds that truly diversify.

MGC has outperformed VFIAX since inception, Jan 2008 (10.50% vs. 10.26%), with slightly lower volatility (16.00% vs. 16.14% std dev), and a 3 year rolling coefficient of correlation ranging between 0.997 and 0.999 (nearly perfect tracking).

Portfolio Visualizer correlation (and performance) analysis of MGC and VFIAX

The divergence between mega caps and the rest of the market has been most apparent in the past five years (give or take). Go with the flow or "revert to the mean"?

• edited June 19
    msf said:

Buying into the S&P 500 seems like buying into megacaps but then adding 300 "smaller" companies for what? Seasoning? Diversification?

If the decision is to go with megacaps, then why bother with that dreck? Or if the decision is to diversify across the market (despite smaller companies having not fared as well as megacaps in the past), consider buying into funds that truly diversify.

Good questions. What will the 500 Faithful say?
  • edited June 19
    For me FCNTX had become for all intent and purpose an S&P 500 clone albeit with active management and a higher ER. It currently has 315 holdings. Also I'm not sure how much longer Danoff will remain in charge.

As for BIAWX I invested initially because of the management team, a concentrated focus (currently 33 holdings) and the ESG theme of the fund. To each their own, you do you.
  • msf said:

Buying into the S&P 500 seems like buying into megacaps but then adding 300 "smaller" companies for what? Seasoning? Diversification?

Reason: Lots and lots and lots of people buy the SP500. The more people that buy the SP500 the more those companies/SP500 go up. Supply/demand.
  • Go with the crowd because the crowd makes self-fulfilling decisions? Lots of people buy because prices go up because lots of people buy?

By that reasoning, the S&P 500 (TR) should be outperforming the S&P Top 50 (TR), and yet ...

500       Top 50
    YTD  15.82%  22.62%
    1yr    26.33%  34.10%
    3yr    11.33%  14.84% (annualized)
    5yr    15.35%  18.75% (annualized)
    10yr  12.93%  15.11% (annualized)

All figures through June 18, 2024. The last (10yr) is a hypothetical number provided by S&P Global, since the launch date of the Top 50 index was Nov 30, 2015.

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/indices/equity/sp-500-top-50/?currency=USD&returntype=T-#overview
  • edited June 19
    msf said:

Go with the crowd because the crowd makes self-fulfilling decisions? Lots of people buy because prices go up because lots of people buy?

By that reasoning, the S&P 500 (TR) should be outperforming the S&P Top 50 (TR), and yet ...

500       Top 50
    YTD  15.82%  22.62%
    1yr    26.33%  34.10%
    3yr    11.33%  14.84% (annualized)
    5yr    15.35%  18.75% (annualized)
    10yr  12.93%  15.11% (annualized)

All figures through June 18, 2024. The last (10yr) is a hypothetical number provided by S&P Global, since the launch date of the Top 50 index was Nov 30, 2015.

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/indices/equity/sp-500-top-50/?currency=USD&returntype=T-#overview

Yes but how many people invest in the Top 50-ish? Is there any ETF or OEF that has decent volume along those lines? I haven't looked, but I doubt it. (BBLU maybe?) Ergo pretty much everyone buys the index b/c that's what their retirement plans offer.

(I prefer more concentrated funds myself, fwiw saying.)

• msf
    edited June 19
    Is there any ... OEF that has decent volume along those lines?

Why should volume of an OEF matter? Perhaps availability matters, but why volume?

Regarding availability, what that seems to be saying is that S&P 500 funds are a poor person's substitute for less widely available funds that track mega caps.

Edit: Ironically enough, there is an ETF that tracks the S&P 100 with ticker OEF.

XLG tracks the S&P Top 50. It has about 40% of the trading volume (in shares) of DIA, though of course a much lower dollar volume.
  • edited June 19
    msf said:

Is there any ... OEF that has decent volume along those lines?

Why should volume of an OEF matter? Perhaps availability matters, but why volume?

Regarding availability, what that seems to be saying is that S&P 500 funds are a poor person's substitute for less widely available funds that track mega caps.

Edit: Ironically enough, there is an ETF that tracks the S&P 100 with ticker OEF.

XLG tracks the S&P Top 50. It has about 40% of the trading volume (in shares) of DIA, though of course a much lower dollar volume.

Sorry. my volume question was related to ETFs. Actually, AUM probably would be more useful data for both types, come to think of it.

And thx for the reminder - I remember OEF now that you mention it, but never heard of XLG...that looks like a good one!
  • Any comments on Primecap Core vs Primecap? I am considering adding Primecap Core to complement my current stake in Capital Opportunity fund. Compared to VHCAX, VPCCX leans more toward Large Caps (72% vs 66%) and Value (25% vs 20%), which should make it a good fit for my portfolio.
  • msf
    edited June 19
    Primecap started out as a mid cap growth, evolving over time into a large cap that straddled the growth/blend boundary. Core launched as a large cap blend as I recall. It has usually trailed Primecap in performance, as growth has generally led value/blend for many years. I tend to think of Primecap as an AIO, covering both VPCCX and VHCAX.

M*, Primecap: The Shades of Difference Among Its Funds

As you've no doubt noticed, all three funds invest about 1/8 of their portfolio abroad. I happen to like this (bigger pool to fish in), though others prefer to invest strictly domestically.
  • gman57 said:

msf said:

Reason: Lots and lots and lots of people buy the SP500. The more people that buy the SP500 the more those companies/SP500 go up. Supply/demand.
    Clap hands for Tinkerbell.
  • If you look at M* Portfolio pages, both Primecap VPMCX / VPMAX and Primecap Core VPCCX are close to the blend-growth borderline. Both have the same 5 managers. But only the Investor class VPCCX is available for the latter. As being run now, differences may be mostly only due to their ERs.

BTW, M* will soon be tweaking its 9-Box classifications to reduce the natural growth-drift in the US market.
  • Good info, thanks
  • @Mark have you taken a look at FCNTX lately? Certainly not a SPY clone today. He’s made big bets on META at 14% allocation and BRKB at 9%. Has outperformed over last 1 and 3 year periods ….hoping Danoff doesn’t retire soon
  • @MikeW - I haven't looked closely lately. At the time I sold FCNTX I considered the retirement of Tillinghast at FLPSX, who I thought Fidelity might have to pry his cold dead hands off the keyboard, and wondered how much longer Danoff would stick around. I was, and still am, trying to consolidate my portfolios into something easy enough for my kids to take over and deal with. Booking it into the S&P 500 seemed like an easy and prudent move. That's all.
  • Sure makes sense…. I’ve also got a lot invested in SPY too. It’s certainly been the place you wanted to be the last 15 years
  • I have a small position in FCNTX too.