Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

End of an era? Embossed credit cards.

We just got replacement cards for our last embossed credit card.

Decades ago the raised numerals were used to make imprints with carbon (later carbonless) paper charge slips.

Fault tolerant: no electricity, no Wi-Fi? No problem.

It used to be easier to hop on a plane than to get on a Greyhound bus. Just walk straight onto an Eastern shuttle, grab a seat, and wait for the flight attendant (dare I say stewardess?) come by rolling a cart with a credit card machine. Click clack.

Does anyone sign the back of credit cards these days?

Comments

• edited June 13
    My latest cards don't even have a spot to sign.

I don't like flat cards. They tend to stick together, and if I am not careful, another card comes out with it. This doesn't happen with embossed cards. So, embossing was good after all, beyond the carbon paper that disappeared years ago.
  • I miss plastic cards you could cut up and dispose of yourself, not the new metal ones that require an envelope from the vendor to return the card in.

On the upside, I have used expired metal cards as ice scrapers, so there's that. :)
  • The major advantage of the flat cards over embossed ones is that the numbers don’t wear off over time. I’ve got a few embossed cards where it’s getting more difficult to make out the numbers. Thank goodness that more and more places online take Apple Pay so I don’t have to pull out my card.
  • Been using debit cards since the mid 70's. I remember that some even dispensed coins for a little while. I don't think we had credit cards til the early 90's.
  • WABAC said:

Been using debit cards since the mid 70's. I remember that some even dispensed coins for a little while. I don't think we had credit cards til the early 90's.

Can't think of the last time I used my debit card to buy something in the past 30 years. The consumer protections on them are significantly less than for credit cards....and besides I prefer not to let retail companies have my checking account information.
  • msf said:

I bet you could sign "Mickey Mouse" every time you're asked to sign and never get questioned. Nobody ever looks at them. Total waste of time. IMHO
  • rforno said:

WABAC said:

Been using debit cards since the mid 70's. I remember that some even dispensed coins for a little while. I don't think we had credit cards til the early 90's.

and besides I prefer not to let retail companies have my checking account information.
    You think debit cards pass the routing and account numbers?
  • WABAC said:

rforno said:

WABAC said:

and besides I prefer not to let retail companies have my checking account information.
    No, I don't think they do. But tbh it's been so long since I used one, I forget the mechanics of how they work.
  • gman57 said:

msf said:

I bet you could sign "Mickey Mouse" every time you're asked to sign and never get questioned. Nobody ever looks at them. Total waste of time. IMHO
    In the past I've signed my credit card. 'Sign Here', 'Ask For Signature', and one time 'Alfred E Neuman.' At no time did anyone challenge the signature even when they quickly flipped the card over to see "if it had been signed."
  • edited June 14
    I kinda of liked the old way better, having learned how to use a card printer while spending summers at a filling station working my way through college (60s). You had to apply a little bit of elbow-grease to the process. There was a “knack” to it. Felt like you had accomplished something.

ISTM we wrote in the amounts by hand. Customer signed. The business kept the more rigid top (bottom?) copy and a thin paper carbon copy went to the customer.

BTW - Service was superior. We pumped the gas, washed the windshield, checked the engine oil. At the customer’s request we checked the air pressure in all 4 tires and added air when needed. All for free. And the gas price was normally between 30-35 cents a gallon.

• rforno said:

WABAC said:

rforno said:

WABAC said:

No, I don't think they do. But tbh it's been so long since I used one, I forget the mechanics of how they work.
    Fair enough.:)

Thank you for the reply.
  • edited June 13
    rforno said:

[snip]
    Can't think of the last time I used my debit card to buy something in the past 30 years.
    The consumer protections on them are significantly less than for credit cards....

I cycled through two or three high-yield checking accounts in the 2010s.
    Executing 7-12 debit card transactions per month was a requirement.
    As you mentioned, credit cards provide much stronger consumer protections.
    Now I only use a single debit card to make infrequent ATM withdrawals from my credit union.
  • I have not withdrawn money from an ATM or from a teller since before Covid. I just keep the ATM card as a back up if my credit card can not be used.

I never signed the back of the credit cards and so did not know that the new ones do not require you to sign.

Thanks for highlighting that the new ones are metal and can not be cut to dispose off.
  • Yet another great info exchange here on MFO. I really like this place.
  • BaluBalu said:

I have not withdrawn money from an ATM or from a teller since before Covid. I just keep the ATM card as a back up if my credit card can not be used.

I never signed the back of the credit cards and so did not know that the new ones do not require you to sign.

Thanks for highlighting that the new ones are metal and can not be cut to dispose off.

I just ordered a new one since the current edition flatlines the tap, the chip, and the strip. "Three ways to fail," a joke clerks sometimes smile at without strain. Then the debit card works.

If it works, I won't take the tin snips to it immediately to test its indestructability
  • edited June 13
    All these changes, big and small. "New and improved." And it accomplishes what? Nothing is routine anymore. The machines are in charge. And the machines don't do what they're supposed to do, because the humans gave them faulty, incomplete information to start. Contradictory misinformation at every turn. Can't get a State Agency to answer the phone. Because they've farmed out any actual contact with constituents to a Call Center. We must depend on undependable people. Welcome to my world. And did I mention? People suck.
  • Crash said:

All these changes, big and small. "New and improved." And it accomplishes what? Nothing is routine anymore. The machines are in charge. And the machines don't do what they're supposed to do, because the humans gave them faulty, incomplete information to start. Contradictory misinformation at every turn. Can't get a State Agency to answer the phone. Because they've farmed out any actual contact with constituents to a Call Center. We must depend on undependable people. Welcome to my world. And did I mention? People suck.

Crash, are you channelling my inner voice?
  • My main credit card problem is that the chip readers don’t work much of the time. However, the machine won’t let you swipe the card until you’ve tried the chip reader three times. The tap function usually works but isn’t always available.
  • My peeve, they put the "tap" icon in one place but you actually have to tap someplace else on the machine.
  • gman57 said:

My peeve, they put the "tap" icon in one place but you actually have to tap someplace else on the machine.

Yup. Geniuses in charge. We are surrounded by bogus-brains.

• edited June 14
    rforno said:

Crash said:

Crash, are you channelling my inner voice?
    Great minds think alike. Just try to get anything accomplished here! Or get any positive changes made. Impossible. The "Spirit of Aloha" just means: "we just live with it. Whenever we get around to actually doing something, it will be in your kids' generation." They have decided never to answer the phone at City Hall. Except the Mayor's office. You must MAKE AN APPT. to get routine junk done at DMV. It's all bullshit.
  • @Crash- does your City Hall maybe share an office with Schwab over there?
  • Old_Joe said:

@Crash- does your City Hall maybe share an office with Schwab over there?

Giggle. Ya, the perfect query, that! LOL.

• edited June 16
    I'm a bit confused by all the complaints.
    1) I never used debit cards, a few showed up many years ago and I just cut them up immediately. CC have better protection = end of story.
    2) I got/replaced/opened several CC, including this week, none is made out of metal because I just cut one of the new ones I got. They sent me 2 by mistake.
    I don't own frequent flyer/travel/foodie cards and never will.
    3) I never signed any CC because no merchant ever denied them.
    4) Sure, I get chip malfunction rarely, but after one try I swipe and it passes. Lately tapping works in more places. Wait, lately, I have used Wallet (replaced Google Pay).
    5) In Europe, in several countries in the last 2-3 years, Google Pay works everywhere, I don't need to show my CC. Even when I couldn't use Google Pay, tapping can be used everywhere. I don't like to give my CC to anyone, as they do in the US. I prefer the merchant to use a small machine and bring it to me for tapping.
    In 2022-3 we were in several countries in the UK and I never used my CC even once, even the public transportation in London accepted Google Pay, what a pleasure.
    6) I have been using my CC everywhere, even to charge $1, I hate coins + I get cash back.
    7) I use ATM, the worldwide Schwab one. Schwab pays me back all the fees by the end of each month, but I hardly take out cash anymore.

Yes, I know, that technology is a a challenge for some. I made mistakes too but try to learn quickly. It took me several times to get the tapping placement thing right because the placement wasn't the same.

OK, what bothers you next?...maybe your new TV setup?...mmm...technology again.
    I play Bridge with people in their 80-90s. The ones that hate technology and refuse to learn, keep suffering and complaining. The ones that learn it are happier.
    You can't run away from it. The old way is dying quickly, in most cases, you pay much more.
  • FD1000 said:

I'm a bit confused by all the complaints.
    1) I never used debit cards, a few showed up many years ago and I just cut them up immediately. CC have better protection = end of story.
    2) I got/replaced/opened several CC, including this week, none is made out of metal because I just cut one of the new ones I got. They sent me 2 by mistake.
    I don't own frequent flyer/travel/foodie cards and never will.
    3) I never signed any CC because no merchant ever denied them.
    4) Sure, I get chip malfunction rarely, but after one try I swipe and it passes. Lately tapping works in more places. Wait, lately, I have used Wallet (replaced Google Pay).
    5) In Europe, in several countries in the last 2-3 years, Google Pay works everywhere, I don't need to show my CC. Even when I couldn't use Google Pay, tapping can be used everywhere. I don't like to give my CC to anyone, as they do in the US. I prefer the merchant to use a small machine and bring it to me for tapping.
    In 2022-3 we were in several countries in the UK and I never used my CC even once, even the public transportation in London accepted Google Pay, what a pleasure.
    6) I have been using my CC everywhere, even to charge $1, I hate coins + I get cash back.
    7) I use ATM, the worldwide Schwab one. Schwab pays me back all the fees by the end of each month, but I hardly take out cash anymore.

Yes, I know, that technology is a a challenge for some. I made mistakes too but try to learn quickly. It took me several times to get the tapping placement thing right because the placement wasn't the same.

OK, what bothers you next?...maybe your new TV setup?...mmm...technology again.
    I play Bridge with people in their 80-90s. The ones that hate technology and refuse to learn, keep suffering and complaining. The ones that learn it are happier.
    You can't run away from it. The old way is dying quickly, in most cases, you pay much more.

My own "beef" runs deeper than merely learning to deal with newfangled junk. My point is that systems don't work. Technology works until it doesn't. So many "time-saving" technological "improvements" are far from fail-safe and are in fact unreliable. Underneath it all is the fact that people don't care, just go with the flow; no one takes responsibility to make sure systems and procedures are responsive to people's needs. There is no accountability--- whether you talk about government or private enterprise. What happens to people doesn't matter. The only priority is to worship Mammon. Gov't is supposed to serve the public? Forget it. Government has divested itself of its own responsibilities. Few are to blame, but all are responsible. And no one will stop and say: "yes, it's my fault, and I'll get it fixed."

Call it The Human Condition? Original Sin? No matter; a rose by any other name... And no one in a position to get things back on track (CEOs, elected officials, etc.) will admit that things don't have to be this way, either. This ethical element is just never, ever spoken about.
  • @FD1000 congratulations on breaking your old record! 22-I's and 1-I'm.
  • edited June 16
    This is only for Sam's Club members.

Although there is a single family membership, but 2 or more membership cards issued are really different and unlinked subaccounts - different logins and order histories. And each time you replace a membership card (because it stops working regularly at gas pumps or checkouts), that is a new subaccount (so, the old order histories are gone, and not carried over).

Recently, I wanted to replace my Sam's member card because it often required multiple tries at Sam's gas pump. The Rep at Customer Service said to just use "Scan-and-Go" from phone app at pump as I use it in the store. I said that I wanted a new membership card anyway. And the Rep reluctantly did that.

Big mistake!

All my Sam's setups were gone/locked because the member card was "reported missing or stolen". And I couldn't reestablish new login until I called the 800 number to remove the block. Then, I could set it up again on my PC and phone app.

Since then, I also tried Sam's phone app "Scan-and-Go" at gas pump and it works like a charm.
  • Received a new credit card yesterday. The number, expiration date, etc. are all lightly embossed. It's plastic. And what the hey, I went ahead and signed it. I am enjoying retro frissons you can't imagine. My iphone is sulking and pouting. Poor thing, it wants to be waved around like other people's phones.
  • edited June 16
    Crash, technology isn't perfect, but the old ways isn't either. Technology has presented us with a lot more choices. Choices = a lot more development and interactions between systems.
    I used to pay $1.5 per minute calling abroad, I have used WhatsApp for years paying nothing. Sure, sometimes it's not clear but it's FREE.
    Google Maps gives you driving, walking, and public transportation for FREE. Yes, I know Google also gets the info they need to make money, but you have a choice. 40 years ago, you had no choices.
    I like choices. Maybe you prefer to drive downtown to city hall, use gas, pay for parking, and pay your bill with cash, and spend 1-2 hours. I prefer paying online in one minute.
    Sure, I don't like state/gov bureaucracy, I would fire tomorrow at least 20% of them.
    A city near us did just that. They hired private companies to do a lot of stuff and that saved them a lot of money.
  • FD1000 said:

Crash, technology isn't perfect, but the old ways isn't either. Technology has presented us with a lot more choices. Choices = a lot more development and interactions between systems.
    I used to pay $1.5 per minute calling abroad, I have used WhatsApp for years paying nothing. Sure, sometimes it's not clear but it's FREE.
    Google Maps gives you driving, walking, and public transportation for FREE. Yes, I know Google also gets the info they need to make money, but you have a choice. 40 years ago, you had no choices.
    I like choices. Maybe you prefer to drive downtown to city hall, use gas, pay for parking, and pay your bill with cash, and spend 1-2 hours. I prefer paying online in one minute.
    Sure, I don't like state/gov bureaucracy, I would fire tomorrow at least 20% of them.
    A city near us did just that. They hired private companies to do a lot of stuff and that saved them a lot of money.

Missed my point entirely. You must have tried very hard.