Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is there such a thing as “Yellow Pages” anymore?

Getting frustrated. When I need work done around the house (ie: siding cleaned, trees trimmed, windows replaced) I do a web search and up pops “Yelp” “Angie’s List” and on occasion some large company may surface. The former two seem to steer viewers to certain vendors. I’m suspicious these may be paying for prominent display. What happened to Yellow Pages where every Elmer or Bud could list their trades along with a phone number. You’d think service would be better and prices lower from some small independents instead of the few featured by Yelp or Angie - or am I missing something?

Comments

• edited May 29
    The Yellow Pages

And just to add I don't trust Yelp or Angi (formerly Angie's List) not even a little bit. Too easy to dismiss/discard/delete negative reviews and/or generate positive comments where no work of any sort was ever performed. Could just be me.
  • edited May 29
    Consumers’ Checkbook has ratings for various home services, auto services, healthcare providers, etc.
    Unfortunately, local ratings are only available for several areas:
    Boston area, Chicago area, Delaware Valley area, Puget Sound area,
    San Francisco Bay area, Twin Cities area, and Washington, DC area.

https://www.checkbook.org/
  • edited May 29
    Thanks guys. @Mark - That looks like what I was looking for. Will give it a whirl tomorrow. Really hard getting anything done in this area in the summer. And lots of price gougers. Try to stay away from the big fish when possible.
  • edited May 30
    @Mark & @hank- thanks to both of you for that question and answer. I agree with everything that's been said up above me here. We do subscribe to Consumers’ Checkbook and it's pretty good, but as Observant1 mentions it's got limited area coverage.
  • I haven't used it myself but some of my neighbors use a website called Nextdoor that people in the neighborhood use to exchange information. My next-door neighbor said that people just post a question about who others in the neighborhood use for yardwork, fencing, etc. The people using the site are grouped into neighborhoods using their address (I think). So far, I just ask someone who has lived here or owns rentals around here who they use.
  • edited May 31
    Use google to find services on a map closest to where you live. Check the reviews. Check their websites. Move further out if you have to. Get three bids. This has worked pretty well for us for typical services like replacing, and upgrading the electrical to our pool. Used the same method to get some tree work taken care of.

If you're looking for something really specific, like windows, I did the research on the best product to get for our house in our area. You want people that specialize in your climate and typical building styles.

Then I checked the manufacturers website for authorized dealers/installers. Then I looked into all of them, starting from the ones closest to us.

Something to think about: When we were in Novato we didn't want to pay Mill Valley prices when we could get Petaluma prices just as easily. These days we don't want to pay Scottsdale prices when we could get Tempe or Mesa prices.

Good luck.
  • edited May 31
    Use google to find services on a map closest to where you live.
    I think that's @hank's point, @WABAC. A search for services in your area seems contrived. Almost like the first to pop up have paid their way to the top. Finding the local mom amd pop shop is pretty much impossible. Maybe mom and pop will show up 3 pages in. In the old days, looking through the yellow pages gave everyone equal footing, it seemed.

• edited May 31
    Fortunately, the area handy-man (fixer-upper) I’ve been pushing to take a very large tree down finally intends to do so next week. Requires going up with cleats and “topping” first. More than I can handle. Trying to get anything done in these parts in the summer is worse than pulling teeth. With the tree out of the way, planning on paving a rather lengthy driveway later in the summer. Have already signed the paperwork on the latter. Will cost a few pennies. I’m saving the ”yellow pages” and other advice posted here. Turned in to a better thread than I expected.

Off topic - but in looking at new cars this spring (didn’t buy) I came across some pretty good user reviews on specific area dealerships. Don’t remember which sources. Possibly one was Yelp. Anyway, those reviews conformed pretty closely to my own positive / negative experiences with certain dealerships. ISTM KBB has some decent reviews.
  • edited May 31
    MikeM said:

Use google to find services on a map closest to where you live.
    I think that's @hank's point, @WABAC. A search for services in your area seems contrived. Almost like the first to pop up have paid their way to the top. Finding the local mom amd pop shop is pretty much impossible. Maybe mom and pop will show up 3 pages in. In the old days, looking through the yellow pages gave everyone equal footing, it seemed.

You have to do the search on the map screen, like "plumbers near me," "arborists near me," "electricians near me," etc.

Check it out.
  • Another way to find people local to you may be available through your state registry of licensed trades. It's also a good way to check out licensing, bonding, and maybe complaints.