Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Capital Group (American Funds parent) getting into PE

edited May 23 in Fund Discussions
Wouldn't expect this from conservatively-run juggernaught Capital, but here they are. I hope these funds don't tarnish their reputation by getting too ... creative. (I hold several large long-long-loooong term positions in various of their equity funds)

Per WSJ:

Capital Group, the stock-picking juggernaut whose American Funds have been a staple in brokerage accounts for nearly a century, is tapping private-equity pioneer KKR to step into the lucrative world of private investments.

Capital and KKR are planning a series of hybrid funds that will invest in both publicly and privately traded assets. The first two strategies, expected to launch next year, will hold about 60% in public bonds picked by Capital managers, and 40% in direct and asset-based loans sourced by KKR.

The new funds will target mass-affluent clients, or those who invest between $100,000 and $1 million. These customers hold the biggest chunk of the assets in wealth accounts, and represent the next frontier for firms that manage alternative assets such as private companies, loans and real estate.

Capital and KKR also intend to explore multiple flavors of hybrid funds—and private assets—in different markets around the world.

< - >

The plan marks one of Capital’s biggest forays into private assets since the 1970s when it helped start a venture-capital fund that would later emerge as Sequoia Capital. The money-management industry has changed dramatically since then, as trillions of dollars flowed into low-cost funds that track market indexes.

For KKR, the partnership will help extend its reach beyond the ultrawealthy individuals and families who currently invest in its products through wealth managers and financial advisers.

“Roughly 5% of U.S. households would meet that qualification,” Nuttall said. “There is this whole universe that we’re not getting close to touching.”

Facing relentless pressure to lower their own fees, traditional stock and bond managers have turned to investing in alternatives. These investments still command higher fees, and are harder for index and exchange-traded funds to duplicate. The pitch for customers is a chance at market-beating returns.

< - >

https://www.wsj.com/finance/investing/american-funds-parent-launching-partnership-with-kkr-to-move-into-private-assets-114430d0?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Comments

• Capital and KKR are planning a series of hybrid funds that will invest in both publicly and privately traded assets. The first two strategies, expected to launch next year, will hold about 60% in public bonds picked by Capital managers, and 40% in direct and asset-based loans sourced by KKR.
    These are likely the asset allocation or balanced funds. Really have to monitor these funds as they evolve.

TRP has a global allocation fund with 10% in private equity, and the fund is very average in performance for a number of years.
  • I got into a pair of similar-like CEF's (BSTZ and BMEZ) offered by the Blackrock group back at their inception. They worked good until they didn't. Whether it was just the initial hype at launch (causing the market price to rise) or poor PE choices causing them to fall I plead ignorance. In my case I became less enamored and bailed rather quickly figuring that I was out of my league. I didn't like not knowing what was exactly contained within the entities they labeled as Project XYZ or whatever.
  • Sven said:

Capital and KKR are planning a series of hybrid funds that will invest in both publicly and privately traded assets. The first two strategies, expected to launch next year, will hold about 60% in public bonds picked by Capital managers, and 40% in direct and asset-based loans sourced by KKR.
    These are likely the asset allocation or balanced funds. Really have to monitor these funds as they evolve.

TRP has a global allocation fund with 10% in private equity, and the fund is very average in performance for a number of years.
    Yup. I didn't like the (then) 10-15% Blackstone Black Box they were promoting in RPGAX. I was interested in the fund to compliment PRWCX but I like knowing what I own!
  • edited May 23
    Sven said:

Description reads like a credit fund and not a hybrid allocation fund. May be the hybrid is public- private credit hybrid?

• edited May 25
    I read the article again and @BaluBalu is correct. It is a bond fund with 60/40 public/PE bonds. Hope these PE bonds are not those from commercial real estate.
  • edited May 23
    Wait for the registration documents. If you do not like what you see in there, plenty of fish in the pond. Above all seek @Junkster guidance at that time.
  • "Above all seek @Junkster guidance at that time."

Incredibly good advice.
  • Old_Joe said:

"Above all seek @Junkster guidance at that time."

Incredibly good advice.

I love to see Junkster's opinion but I don't remember him making opinions on stock funds.

• edited May 28
    The future KKR bond fund sounds a bit like the fund I mentioned on May 1 on FD’s site that is heavy in ABS and the rest in non agency MBS and commercial MBS. Rarely has had a down day for some time now and everyone seems to be piling into as evidenced by their rapid increase in AUM. Never a good sign when the boat gets tilted in one direction as we have recently seen in some of the catastrophe bond funds. Another sure thing with rarely a down day until it wasn’t. The KKR fund will also probably be heavy in CLOs since that seems to be the rage in Bondland now.