Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Elon Musk's luck has finally run out

Interesting read that may have big impact on Tesla stock, a big component in S&P 500 index.

https://businessinsider.com/elon-musk-problems-twitter-x-tesla-gamble-luck-run-out-2023-12

Comments

• @Sven. Nice to see it all laid out like that. Thanks for the link.

• edited December 2023
    Linette Lopez has been trashing Musk for years, see example(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6oWXUCrLg)...read the comments below the video...mmm...do you think she has an agenda?
  • Ah, sure,...the libs absolutely cannot stand that they can't control the narrative just like all the utter bullshit on the MSM. So now you see the hit pieces on musk. Like him or not for certain he is a modern day davinci and Edison rolled into one person

Business insider is just another pompous elitist upper west side, Saturday night live, Harvard president, anti American Uber liberal loving piece of garbage organization did they hire the bud light marketing genius yet?

I believe in the first and the second amendment

Baseball fan
  • I think Musk is closer to Howard Hughes than Davinci or Edison. But so what?

What is the case for investing in Tesla? No matter how thin you slice it, it's still just a car company selling a consumer durable run by a guy that can't stop talking.

The people most likely to buy his car don't like his politics. And the people that like his politics aren't likely to buy his car. That's not a company I want to put money into.

As for the company formerly known as twitter, never signed up. Don't follow anyone on it. In general, cussing at advertisers is not best practice for a media company that needs them in order to survive. So I wouldn't put any money into that company either.

Does anyone on this forum think investing in Musk companies is a great idea?
  • That's a hoot you two. His problems are of his own making and overheated massive ego. He almost begs people to disagree with him so he can show off his temper and anger like a spoiled brat similar to your other idol. Obviously he or some of the people he hires has made him financially successful up to this point but maybe he's overdone it. Time will tell.
  • Does anyone on this forum think investing in Musk companies is a great idea?
    Yes, I do. But I haven't, so far. I don't like the guy, but investing in him has been and will likely continue to be lucrative.

To me, Tesla is not just an electric car company. It's also an incubator for futuristic and ground breaking ideas and products. Space X may end up being his biggest accomplishment. Time will tell. Love him or hate him, he didn't get rich by not taking chances.

An article about other Musk companies, so far.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031316/elon-musks-5-best-investments-tsla-pypl.asp

The Bottom Line
    Elon Musk has founded, led, and invested in many businesses, most of which have become very successful companies, making him one of the richest people in the world, and oftentimes, the richest. Known for his eccentric personality, Musk continues to shape different areas of the world, from electric cars to social media to space exploration.
  • edited December 2023

Edit: I deleted the previous link and added a new link and it seems to work this time.

(That is a YouTube link. Not sure why it does not display properly. If you click on the image, it will take you to last Sunday’s Last Week Tonight episode entirely about Elon Musk.)
  • Mark said:

That's a hoot you two. His problems are of his own making and overheated massive ego. He almost begs people to disagree with him so he can show off his temper and anger like a spoiled brat similar to your other idol. Obviously he or some of the people he hires has made him financially successful up to this point but maybe he's overdone it. Time will tell.

Plain truth!
  • Well, Steve Jobs had a huge ego and was one of the worst managers in (SV)Silicon Valley. His demands of his employees were ridiculous and if they couldn't come up with an idea, he would fire them, and then he would all the IT companies in SV and would tell them not to hire these employees. That's worse than a big ego, that's vicious.
    Looks to me that in order to come up with new technology and make it happen, sometimes these guys have a huge ego, obsessed and unique.
    We bought 2 vehicles in the last 1.5 years, but not Tesla or another EV, because I ran the numbers and they are not justifying themselves yet.
  • edited December 2023
    Man, talk about his luck running out...

https://www.thestreet.com/stocks/fund-manager-who-predicted-the-s-p-500-rally-issues-new-2024-target?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

https://realmoney.thestreet.com/dougs-daily-diary

Excerpt:

8. What would a surprise list be without mention of Elon Musk?

It is revealed that Elon Musk suffers from a serious addiction. Entering an extended stay in rehab, Musk is forced to temporarily relinquish operating control over his companies. Tesla's (TSLA) shares fall back to the lows of 2023.
  • I would put that at extremely low probability. He is on Semaglutide and Ketamine. With either of them, the probability goes down and with both, it is even lower.

I thought Doug put that in for humor.
  • edited December 2023
    BaluBalu said:

I would put that at extremely low probability. He is on Semaglutide and Ketamine. With either of them, the probability goes down and with both, it is even lower.

I thought Doug put that in for humor.

Duh, yeah!
    And I thought I put my introductory comment in for humor, too!
  • My dentist worships musk. If going to the dentist isn’t bad enough I have to listen to him singing his praises.
  • edited December 2023
    It concerns me that the US government relies on Musk's technology for its national defense in the form of SpaceX and Starlink. Musk displayed his questionable allegiances when he ordered his Starlink satellite communications network to be turned off near the Crimean coast last year to hobble a Ukrainian drone attack on Russian warships.

He's not to be trusted.
  • larryB said:

My dentist worships musk. If going to the dentist isn’t bad enough I have to listen to him singing his praises.

I think I'ld rather be quizzed about my flossing and brushing habits than deal with a dentist talking about anything but teeth, or the weather.

Had some electrical work done recently. Hired the guy that talked about electricity.

• edited December 2023
    I fixed the Youtube link in my post above from yesterday. Now the image in that post is properly displayed so folks can see.
  • @WABC. my dentist also told me his individual stocks and asked me if I followed the motley fools. I can’t make this stuff up. But he is a skilled practitioner. I fired my home repair guy who told me why he is MAGA.
  • larryB said:

@WABC. my dentist also told me his individual stocks and asked me if I followed the motley fools. I can’t make this stuff up. But he is a skilled practitioner. I fired my home repair guy who told me why he is MAGA.

@larryB. I"ll long remember the middle-aged appliance repairman telling me all about buying bitcoin on the dip. I think it has been mostly dipping ever since.

"That's interesting. But about this dryer. . ."
  • Ah, nothing wrong with shooting the breeze...only time you way to keep the convos on point is when speaking with an attorney who's on retainer. Good grief...LOL!
  • edited December 2023
    ”SpaceX Falcon Heavy launches X-37B plane, one of the US military’s most fascinating secrets”

Dateline: Thursday, December 28, 2023 (8:16 PM)

STORY

”This launch marked the first time the space plane has hitched a ride on a SpaceX Falcon Heavy, one of the most powerful operational rockets in the world.”

(Moral: Things aren’t always what they seem.)