Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited December 2023
    Possibly related - SEC Chair Gensler made comments on BB today that liquity issues increased this week (roughly paraphrased). Particularly, he noted the increased risks of leverage in the markets. Possibly something the Fed is also concerned about.

Bond & equity markets liked whatever the FOMC statement said:

”Let her rip!”:)

VPU (Vanguard Utilities ETF) +2% (edit) +3% today
  • YBB Notes

Rates were maintained - fed funds 5.25-5.50%, bank reserves rate 5.4%, discount rate 5.5%. Rates are at/near peak. Rate cuts are possible in late-2024 or 2025. LT rate decline is market-driven.

QT continues at -$60 billion/mo for Treasuries, -$35 billion/mo for MBS; total -$95 billion/mo. Total QT so far -$1.2 trillion. The QT policy is independent of the rate policy. However, the Fed monitoring declining Fed balance sheet and bank reserves.

Inflation has come down without hurting the jobs market, but it is still high. Fed +2% average inflation target is reiterated. The public may be unhappy because prices remain high, but low inflation won't fix that. May be rising wages can address some of that.

Monetary policy is restrictive and acts with some lag. The Fed got behind the curve in starting the tightening and doesn't intend to repeat that error.

Job market remains strong, but wage growth has moderated.

Economy has slowed down. But it isn't expected to fall into a recession. Soft landing remains possible. Housing is flat due to high mortgage rates.

New CPI data on Monday and PPI on Tuesday affected some of the SEPs.
    https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/post/1284/thread
  • Everything is up today! Quietly I think the pivot point is nearly here. Extending bond duration has worked out nicely for us. Still November’s CPI at 3.1 is far from the 2% FED target.
  • Most stocks were treading water this morning. Small caps were down the most, well over a percent. At exactly 2:00 p.m., everything took off like a rocket. Amazing, or just leaked information..
  • edited December 2023
    MikeM said:

At exactly 2:00 p.m., everything took off like a rocket. Amazing, or just leaked information..

That’s the time the FOMC statement was released. See Yogi’s time of posting.
    :)

Yep - A rocket breaking lose from its hold-down clamps occurred to me too. - Wooosh!
  • FOMC Statements are embargoed by the Fed until 2:00 PM Eastern/1:00 PM Central. I try to post ASAP, with 1:0x PM Central time stamp. The Fed site is swamped right at 1:00 PM Central and its refresh take a while. My Notes follow after Powell's presser as soon as I can write them up.
  • Ah, thanks guys for the info. I thought maybe there was some shenanigans going on.
  • edited December 2023
    MikeM said:

Ah, thanks guys for the info. I thought maybe there was some shenanigans going on.

If you have access to streaming futures data, the time 1359-1402 is always fun on Fed day to see markets in action. The wibbles, spikes, drops, and microsecond volatility is *insane* as places jockey to position prior to the announcement and then after once it sinks in. 'Fading the rally' often was a great strategy in years past if I was tempted to play on Fed day instead of sitting and watching -- I'd sell S&P futures at a best-guess point higher and usually could be in/out of a nicely profitable trade in under a minute or two. Even better were the huge pops to the upside which then reversed over the next few hours during the press conference into the close. (of course that was before Big Algo(tm) took over trading desks and killed the fun of intraday futures trading....)
  • edited December 2023
    The jokers on CNBC are having fun this morning. One quip: ”The landing’s going to be so soft you can keep your tray tables down.” :)
  • hank said:

The jokers on CNBC are having fun this morning. One quip: ”The landing’s going to be so soft you can keep your tray tables down.” :)

Gee beyond a Barrons' cover or market call by Goldman's CIO, if that isn't a contrarian signal, I don't know what is....

• Most vocal FOMC dove has been dispatched to walk back last Wednesday events and perception. The article is behind Bloomy paywall but evidently it was based on his appearance on Face the Nation today. When the clip shows up on Youtube later today, please post here. Thanks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-12-17/fed-s-goolsbee-says-too-early-to-declare-victory-over-inflation
  • edited December 2023
    FOMIFC: Open Mouth Insert Foot Committee.
  • Old_Joe said:

FOMIFC: Open Mouth Insert Foot Committee.

Many of us have been, or currently are, on this committee.... :)

• edited December 2023
    There has been a serious effort to walk back some of what Powell said.

NY Fed Prez John Williams on CNBC on Friday - he is a permanent voting member of the FOMC as well as FOMC Vice-Chair

Now Chicago Fed Prez Austan Goolsbee - he is a current FOMC voting member (2023) who rotates off the FOMC in 2024 but will return in 2025.

Some are missing Greenspan-isms, https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/1334.Alan_Greenspan
  • Video of the Face The Nation clip

Transcript (for those preferring to read)

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/austan-goolsbee-face-the-nation-transcript-12-17-2023/
  • if you are into handicapping the doves vs hawks, below are the rotating slots, start at the next meeting

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomc.htm