Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Apple Original “Killers of the Flower Moon” to Premier in U.S. Theaters

edited October 2023 in Off-Topic
Brief Summary of article which appeared recently in The Financial Times

Article begins by asserting that Apple CEO Tim Cook hasn’t displayed anything close to Steve Jobs’ old flair for the dramatic. But the roll-out of a Martin Scorsese’s film in theaters in coming days may change that. The highly anticipated western, “Killers of the Flower Moon”, will first appear in 3,600 U.S. theaters and after a 45-day delay will appear on Apple TV. That’s a significant departure from Apple’s traditional “Apple TV” first approach. Investors are pondering the implications. Some think this may mark an important turning point for Apple as it tries to broaden its business empire. Recent iphone sales have been disappointing.

From left, Tim Cook, actor Leonardo DiCaprio and director Martin Scorsese / “Killers of the Flower Moon”

From the NYT: ”Martin Scorsese’s three-and-a-half-hour epic, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, is a romance, a western, a whodunit and a lesson in the bloody history of the Osage murders of the 1920s.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/19/movies/killers-of-the-flower-moon-review-martin-scorsese.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Comments

• ...And DeNiro in a Western? Cool. He's played many great roles, but I really loved him with Joey "Pants" and Charles Grodin in the comedy, "Midnight Run."
  • A Western????? That's like stating that 'Lawrence of Arabia' was a movie about a quirky Englishman who grew tired of the cold, damp of England and found he enjoyed the hot, dry air of the desert. I'll leave for you'all to discover on your own, the subject of this movie.
  • Gotta to love Martin Scorsese‘s movies. This movie has great cast. We will go see is in movie theaters.
  • edited October 2023
    Apple TV subscriber here at $7 monthly. Looking forward to watching this when it moves to TV. Otherwise, I’d have dropped the subscription. “The Morning Show” (Season 3) isn’t nearly as good as when it first debuted a few years ago despite a stellar cast. It’s become a soap opera IMHO.

I shouldn’t have depicted Scorsese’s new film as a “western”. I know little about it. Posted more from the investment perspective as anything Apple does ripples through the markets. However, the NYT said this of the film:

”Martin Scorsese’s three-and-a-half-hour epic, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, is a romance, a western, a whodunit and a lesson in the bloody history of the Osage murders of the 1920s.”
  • I have read the book by David Grann, whose work as a researcher and investigator of seemingly strange stuff is absolutely terrific. The New Yorker has published many of his pieces over the years. I don’t buy books at my age, but I have been rewarded by getting in line for Grann’s work at the public library. BTW, it ain’t a Western.
  • edited October 2023
    Not to belabor the issue, but my OP was intended only to summarize the FT article as it appeared. Here’s the relevant reference to the film as it appeared in the FT:

”The epic western, which stars Leonardo DiCaprio …. “

(Article by C. Grimes, FT 10/20/23) https://www.ft.com/content/03a3a0cd-6450-453a-9446-8b6497aa0df0

I realize now from the astute observations here that this film is not a “western”.:)