Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The top 8 Companies in S&P 500 are carrying the index

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/09/27/the-sp-500-equal-weight-index-dips-into-red-year-to-date-shows-entire-market-depends-on-8-giants-but-theyre-swooning-too/

Top 8 Companies by market cap in the S&P 500 Index

Company Ticker Weight Gain YTD
1 Apple AAPL 7.1% 36%
2 Microsoft MSFT 6.5% 30%
3 Amazon AMZN 3.2% 45%
4 Nvidia NVDA 2.9% 192%
5 Alphabet A GOOGL 2.1% 45%
6 Tesla TSLA 1.9% 119%
7 Meta Platforms META 1.9% 134%
8 Berkshire Hath BRK.B 1.8% 15%
9 Alphabet C GOOG 1.8% 45%
Total Weight 29.1%

I have to figure out how to post charts here.

Comments

• edited September 2023
    It's a known fact for years that the high tech leads the market and why QQQ made so much more than SPY. See the last 13 years.
    https://schrts.co/CJwZWTcf

The above stocks are all high tech, except BRK.B but this one has so much of Apple anyway.
  • edited September 2023
    "I have to figure out how to post charts here"

@JD_co- Well, that isn't particularly easy for a chart like the one at your link. Probably the easiest way for something like that is to take a screen shot on your computer, upload that to a free internet host such as ImgBB, and then make it available via a link to that site. If all of that sounds like a lot of trouble to go through, it is, and unless you have time and curiosity to fool around with all of that it's probably not worth the effort.

Link to ImgBB
  • Thanks, @Old_Joe. Yes, seems unnecessarily difficult.
  • Following @Old_Joe's instruction.
    https://ibb.co/80gFbM4

If I import the URL into the picture icon (third from the right), I do not get the picture from the URL.

@Yogibb, please advise.
  • 3 points:

1. I thought that @JD_co meant table that doesn't have its own image link.

2. If charts/graphs were meant, BOTH have their own image links that can be just pasted into the MFO Image tool (3rd from right in the above menu). See below.

3. @Sven, you are using "Viewer Link" at imgBB (I like that name! ibb too!!). USE "Direct Link" with .png ending to paste into MFO Image tool, and then it will work.

Using #2,
    https://wolfstreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/US-stocks-SP500-equal-weight-2023-09-27.png

• Sven, If you scroll down at your link there is a copy button for HTML. I clicked copy and then pasted it in this comment. This is what I got when I posted it.
    Wolf-screen-shot
  • edited September 2023
    "I have to figure out how to post charts here."

Note that the examples posted above are not for the "chart" in D_co's article, but rather one of the graphs, which do in fact have a "built-in" link.

The "chart" has no such link, and because of that it is necessary to utilize the procedure I noted above, using ImgBB, to reproduce it here:

imagedb-238" />
  • It takes several steps as @Old_Joe, @yogibb. and @Anna described above. I can post pictures on MFO. Thank you.
    Table
  • edited September 2023
    Oooh, it's like sitting at the big boys table.

imageWWS-chart-S-P" />
  • These are the “magnificent seven “ tech stocks (not Berkshire Hathaways) that contribute to majority of the gain in the S&P 500 index is year. Additionally, this implies the other 493 stocks are doing merely so so in this narrow breath environment; overall this is not health. This year is challenging for fund managers who either have a decent slice of these tech stocks or simply being under-perform.
  • msf
    edited September 2023
    Ideally, one would just copy the HTML table (<Table>) from the original page to here and be done, but MFO supports only limited HTML. That doesn't include tables.

However, MFO does support preformatting (<Pre>), so one can copy the whole table as text (including tabs) into a preformatted display, and then fix up a few tabs.

Simple text, no HTML coding (aside from the preformatting tag), no uploading of image to a third party site. That seems simpler to me, but then again, I'm not one to shy away from patching binary code.

Here are the "before" and "cleaned up" versions. All I did was add a newline and a few tabs to space things out evenly.
    Top 8 Companies by market cap in the S&P 500 Index	Weight	Gain YTD
    1 Apple AAPL 7.1% 36%
    2 Microsoft MSFT 6.5% 30%
    3 Amazon AMZN 3.2% 45%
    4 Nvidia NVDA 2.9% 192%
    5 Alphabet Cl A GOOGL 2.1% 45%
    6 Tesla TSLA 1.9% 119%
    7 Meta Platforms META 1.9% 134%
    8 Berkshire Hathaway Cl B BRK.B 1.8% 15%
    9 Alphabet Cl C GOOG 1.8% 45%
    Total 29.1%
    Top 8 Companies by market cap in the S&P 500 Index	
    Weight Gain YTD
    1 Apple AAPL 7.10% 36%
    2 Microsoft MSFT 6.50% 30%
    3 Amazon AMZN 3.20% 45%
    4 Nvidia NVDA 2.90% 192%
    5 Alphabet Cl A GOOGL 2.10% 45%
    6 Tesla TSLA 1.90% 119%
    7 Meta Platforms META 1.90% 134%
    8 Berkshire Hathaway Cl B BRK.B 1.80% 15%
    9 Alphabet Cl C GOOG 1.80% 45%
    Total 29.1%
  • @msf I think pre (in brackets) is my favorite html tag at MFO. Not perfect, as you acknowledged. But it makes the cleanup in Column lineup much easier.
  • edited September 2023
    Other than Utilities, Real Estate equities are the only other down sector in the 1 year. Medical devices sector (IHI, FSMEX) is near 52-week low.

FINVIZ-1-yr

"Charts are fun".
  • +1.
    Once you get the hang of it, it is much simpler than it looks with explanations.