Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Sad beyond words. An entire way of life and community wiped out overnight.
  • We stayed there last year and had nice memories. Just gruesome. When is it going to get hot enough to burn the toes of those who deny climate change?
  • Simply heartbreaking
  • Terrible. Photos resemble an A bomb attack. A distant hurricane produced the winds. Who’d a thunk?
  • My deepest condolences to those who perished and suffered great loss. It is on my plan to visit these beautiful places. Just cannot believe the photos from the aftermath.
  • My (new) denom. has a sister church in Lahaina, "Holy Innocents." The congregation's church building is all gone, taken by the fire.
  • edited August 2023
    The death toll is awful. It's more now than the entire loss of life in the Great Fire (Big Burn) of 1910 (N. Idaho & W. Montana, 3 million acres) that destroyed seven small towns and severely burned another half-dozen.
  • edited August 2023
    19th August, 2023: number of dead has risen to 114.
    https://www.khon2.com/hawaii-fires/36-fatalities-involved-in-lahaina-wildfires/
  • edited August 2023
    FEMA, national guard, and military are proving immediate relief. Who to say big government is useless ?
  • edited August 2023
    Agreed, @Sven.
    And yet, there is still so much negative junk connected to the government. "Take the good with the bad?" I suppose so. But I can't help thinking that the way gummint operates can be vastly improved. A big part of the picture must include our polarized electorate, too. Friday afternoon, 18th August death toll from the Maui/Lahaina fires: 111, still.

I served on the local FEMA Board in my podunk little county seat town in West Virginia. There was a flooding episode. Relief checks arrived in a very timely manner. I was gratified by that.