Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How far have the averages advanced since (edit) their 2022 lows?

edited May 2023 in Other Investing
Having trouble getting a good fix on this. It appears the DJI is about 30% higher since then. But the S&P 500 has barely moved (slightly higher) from my apparently incorrect data. That can’t be correct? Anybody have better numbers / math than I can muster?

Comments

• Hi @hank A decent method below. Not too bad to use after a few test runs.

Google Finance for SPY.
    From Sept. 22, 2022 to noon May 12, indicates SPY at +9.922%.
    Click the one year link, which is set for SPY. Enter at the top of the page, search box, whatever ticker you choose. Hover on the graph at Sept. 22, 2022 to obtain the price for that date. You'll have to do the math with a calculator to discover the performance between this date and 'current'.
  • edited May 2023
    All major indexes are similar since 9/22/22, except R2000. In the chart link below, enter date 2022-09-22. However, there were other dips in Oct, Nov, Dec 2022.
    https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=$INDU&compare=$COMPQ,$SPX,$TRAN,IWM&id=p53718167248
  • edited May 2023
    Thanks @Yogi. Looks like you pre-set the start date for 9/22/22. If I’m reading the chart correctly, as of today all 3 major indexes are up about 10% from that low. Umm … feels like more. Extremely left brained. Charts & maps drive me up a wall. Raw data expressed in numbers / words work better. Have had good luck reading the Google charts. Will give it a try there as well.

Edit: Google shows the 2022 low for the S&P (3590) occurring around mid-October. (Looks like I had an incorrect date when I posted.) Currently, BB has the S&P @ 4104. By subtracting (3590) the low from today’s number and then dividing the difference by the October low, I come up with a 14% increase in the S&P since the low. (Assuming some dividends were paid, it would be a bit more.)

Now, are today’s numbers temporarily depressed over fears of a debt default ? Or, are they still considerably elevated by historical standards - which everybody (including the shoeshine boy) seems to agree on? Of course it’s a market of stocks - not a stock market. Indexes aside, there will be individual winners and losers.
  • Generally speaking, quite a few U.S. bond and equity positions found a bottom during mid to late October of 2022, after having most of 2022 being barking dogs. This was the basis date rate when I started the BOND thread. A blip or a trend?
  • @hank, strange thing about StockCharts is that custom settings carryon for a while, but after some time, they default to 1-year. So, my comment about resetting the date. Good that you could see custom 9/22/22 as intended.
  • edited May 2023
    Thanks to @catch2 & @yogibearbull for the insights.
  • And yes, hank; S&P 500 from low Oct. 11, 2022 to date at 1:35 pm is about +14.5431%. I used SPY...a different animal.
  • ?

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui

put in ivv and djia and select your start date

+~9.6% and +~8.11% as of a minute ago ...
  • edited May 2023

+~9.6% and +~8.11% as of a minute ago ...

Thanks much. Even I can grasp that. Simply stated. Guess I’m getting a bit unnerved by all the extraneous noise. Added a tad to cash today.