Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone using TikTok??

edited March 2023 in Off-Topic
I don’t. Looked once at some of the highest viewed sites to see what all the media attention was about. Some barely teenage girls dancing in front of a camera in their rooms and otherwise making fools of themselves for all the world. Feel sorry for our youth if this type of exhibitionism represents their highest aspirations. Gets thorny, however, when you try to legislate social platforms out of existence in a free society. Don’t know what the answer is.

U.S. May ban TikTok

From Emily Dickenson - ”How dreary to be somebody! How public, like a frog. To tell your name the livelong day To an admiring bog!”

Comments

• I doubt you'd find many people on this board who do. A very different demographic.
  • Yes- we have one on the kitchen wall and it keeps very good time.
  • I think @LewisBraham means we're old...
  • edited March 2023
    BenWP said:

I think @LewisBraham means we're old...

Old we are. But I also take this group to be quite suave and sophisticated. If Diogenes could search for ”an honest man” amongst the citizens of Athens, I may seek out a TikTok user among us. Reading the government’s stated concerns about national security implications it’s hard to conclude they’re only worried about teen-age kids.
  • Our family is not using TikTok including our college kids. More info on the potential risk:
    In July testimony to the House Oversight Committee’s panel on national security, Brendan Carr, Federal Communications Commission Commissioner stated, “There’s a range of ways that that sensitive data going back to Beijing with their sophisticated [artificial intelligence] can ultimately be used to harm U.S. national security.” He added, “at its core, TikTok functions as a sophisticated surveillance tool that harvests extensive amounts of sensitive data from search and browsing history, keystroke patterns, location data, and biometrics including face prints and voice prints. All of the concerns with TikTok are heightened in the military context.”

In June, BuzzFeed reported on leaked audio from internal TikTok meetings that contain statements from nine TikTok staffers that Chinese employees had access to U.S. personal user data as recently as January 2022. These statements are counter to TikTok’s sworn testimony before a 2021 Senate hearing. That same day, TikTok announced they were migrating 100% of U.S. user traffic to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure – a central facet of TikTok’s Project Texas initiative – with U.S. and Singapore data centers being used as backup but the intent to “fully pivot to Oracle cloud services located in the U.S.”
    https://forbes.com/sites/heatherwishartsmith/2022/11/01/what-you-should-know-about-the-tiktok-national-security-debate/?sh=6f8fdb776443
  • I've viewed TikTok videos a few times but am not a regular user.
    The ones I've seen are usually quite silly...
  • Tik Tok? No way.
  • Watch part of the TikTok testimony yesterday. Thinking that to impose regulations now is nearly impossible since there is already over 150 million active users worldwide. Also social media usage is common especially they are readily access with mobile devices. Whether the personal data is being tracked and exploit by Chinese government is another question.

I see this case is similar to that of regulating cigarettes as drugs by David Kessler (former FDA regulator).
  • Unspoken in the background is a certain amount of "payback" for the Chinese setting rules that made China inaccessible for US applications such as Google, Facebook, etc.