Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Golf Course Living is Paradise - Except for the 651 Balls Pelting Your House

edited February 2023 in Off-Topic
”Erik and Athina Tenczar in 2017 bought what they thought was their forever home in Kingston, Mass., a four-bedroom colonial that sits near a left-hand dogleg on the 15th hole of the Indian Pond Country Club. To their dismay, the Tenczars soon learned that ambitious golfers regularly attempted to cut the corner, putting their house in the line of fire. Hundreds of golf balls have pelted their house and yard since, turning the residence, they say, into a living hell. “

Caption and above passage excerpted from The Wall Street Journal - February 22, 2023

Couldn’t obtain a working link to the WSJ. Here’s a related story from The Daily Mail

As a former caddy … those long ”doglegs” can be wicked. A good golfer may impart some hook or slice onto the ball causing it to turn left or right and “cut the corner” at precisely the right point, perhaps a hundred yards or more out from the tee. A sight to behold - when it works!

Comments

• Ha, I don't even need to attempt cutting a dogleg. If I over swing I have a wicked slice off the tee. Back yards, swimming pools and even a house or two have been hit.
  • My decision to not buy a home near a golf course in Buffalo NY proves to have been a good one. In the manner of reports by FD1000, I have no need to provide further details or specifics. :)
  • Well. The hole in the article’s a left dogleg. So if Mike could swing left handed his slice might work there. But, assuming he’s right handed that slice would never cut it. He’d be in the woods.
  • @Old_Joe, a Buffalo home would be safe. Even I can't hit the ball 80 miles from my home in Fairport, the east side of Rochester, although I bet you FD could and I'm sure he will tell you he has:) I truly don't know how he makes the right buys and sells in every single trade. It's absolutely amazing. He should have his own newsletter.
  • edited February 2023
    He should have his own newsletter.

A “newsletter” that tells you what you should have done a month ago? That should sell.
  • You guys probably know that I almost never use the overused "LOL", but this time it's perfect:

LOL !!!!
  • edited February 2023
    FD has discussed his trades after-the-fact for years on several different investment forums.
    I don't recall any trades mentioned where he lost money.
    He's been called out for these posts many times.
    I currently participate on only one other investment forum.
    FD is also a member there.
    In the past, I've often challenged FD's assertions when they appeared to be biased or factually inaccurate.
    I try to ignore him now for the most part which is not always easy.
    He ain't gonna change and life's too short...
  • edited February 2023
    If people believe him, that’s their problem. If FD has any constructive advice re investing I haven’t seen it. Everything is backwards looking. Makes you wonder why any individual would take that approach here …
  • If one cannot be honest about his/ her investing and to share their own experience in an open forum, why bother ? This amounts to trolling. Best to ignore him/ her.
  • @Sven- obviously you haven't been keeping up with the latest "woke talk". "Him/her" is no longer valid. I think it's supposed to be "him/her/they/them/it" or something like that now.

More to your point, I don't think that very many of us actually pay much attention to FD. He's just some sort of a joker who likes to see his name on stuff. Kind of reminds me of a low-budget version of a recent US president.