Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited January 2023
    Being from 'the' era.
    Of the many 1,000's of songs that still embed my cranial cells; at the top of a small rotating top ten. The harmony is, well.............if only I could.

Nash/Crosby London, 1970
  • Woodstock:

Almost Cut My Hair:

Our House:

Helpless: (maybe my favorite.)

• With David Crosby's passing there's a lot of items posted to Twitter and other sources. I found the link below. I had my doubts at first, as no doubt the band did as well. That Greg Reaves on bass, who also played on Deja vu and After the Gold Rush. He was 14 when this was filmed.

• "Wooden Ships" was probably my favorite by Mr. Crosby but I will mostly remember "Ohio" when I think of CSNY.
  • If I may, a Friday Flashback.

There is a town in north Ontario , the 'Helpless' song lyric

@Crash et al

From my wayback machine.....spring 1974. My father and 3 uncles had an annual fishing trip to WaWa, Ontario (due north of Sault Ste Marie on the Lake Superior east shore); to fish back into small lakes in the middle of nowhere. I had this adventure one time in the early 60's. At the time, WaWa's downtown still had wooden sidewalks and one was greeted, many times in the French language while walking (I'm sure they knew we weren't locals). The bars/restaurants, at the time, on the bar side were still a 'men only' area. Forward to late spring 1974 and on 'sabbatical' prior to starting a lifetime job in August; I 'hitched' a car ride with my father and uncles as they headed north for the annual fishing trip. They took me to the train station in Sault Ste. Marie, ON. From there I traveled the passenger/freight train to Moosonee, at Hudson Bay's south shore. Very simple passenger cars at the time; and not inclined toward a tourist mode. The train made many freight stops in almost unmarked areas. There were also many stops at small platforms that were pick up and drop points for lumberjacks who worked deep into the surrounding forests. Not much going on in Moosonee, but worth seeing the culture of the area. I stayed at a small and cheap hotel and was able to witness 'party time' for a whole weekend; as whomever came from wherever to the largest settlement in the area, and they pretty much ate food and and drank a lot of alcohol.
    I took the return train trip back to the 'Soo' after a few days in Moosonee. But, my car ride (father and uncles) back south through central Michigan wasn't available, as they were still in the 'boonies' fishing. So, the Greyhound bus thing. I purchased a ticket that would take me a bit south of where I wanted to 'get off the bus', but didn't want to go to the bus terminal. I-75 (north-south) was constructed in Michigan in the late 50's, early 60's. The interstate divided many farm properties. One such farm was near to my home. The farm family was allowed to build a steps up and down over the chain link fence on either side of the interstate, so they could easily walk to visit other family members living on the same road, that had also been dead ended by the interstate. I spoke with the bus driver and he had no problem with pulling to a stop on the interstate, at the step fence crossing, to end my bus ride there. A different era then, eh?
    Anyway, my town in north Ontario.

Train, Sault Ste Marie to Moosonee Ontario
  • Hi @Mark
    Yes, to both of those songs, too. Too many choices. And 'Ohio' resonates differently for some of us, than others, yes?
  • edited January 2023
    There never was pop music like in the late 60s thru the early 90s. So much beautiful memorable work. From Simon & Garfunkel and the Beetles on thru some of Streisand’s pop hits - and of course including Crosby. And we took it for granted that it would always be that way. For an eye-opener, ask your music app to play songs from one of those decades - especially the 70s or 80s.
  • @catch22 - Indeed, yes. Still makes me sad to this day.
  • edited January 2023
    @catch22. I loved reading your description. Thank you. A joy. And a different era, indeed. You've seen a bunch of Canada I've not seen, myself--- yet. If I may:
    I've seen a good bit of B.C, all the way to Dawson Creek. Alberta, over to Calgary and environs. ...Toronto. A few times. (But I won't travel through that airport again. Shit-head customs agent wanted to prove to me that he had power and authority, to the "nth degree." Asshole.)

Quebec: Montreal, Sherbrooke, Quebec City and on up to Gaspe... Halifax... New Brunswick, along the way, too. That was a helluva road trip. Canada is so tremendously beautiful and varied. I miss the freshwater fishing. There just isn't any, here.

And just think: I "almost cut my hair," back then. Now, I can't get it to grow. I missed Woodstock, but was at Watkins Glen. Talk about a free-for-all. I got a ride on the running board of a VW beetle.

Here's another: "Helplessly Hoping"