Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2023 Investment Plans

2»

Comments

• edited January 2023
    MikeM said “ (@hank, do you still own that one?)”

@MikeM - Yes, still own PRPFX. It’s 10.4% of portfolio, equally weighted along with NLSAX, CVSIX and TRRIX* - all relatively “sleep-easy” funds. (TRRIX’s dismal 2022 was, I suspect, an aberration.) Combined, they comprise the “alternatives” sleeve of the portfolio. There’s also one very large consumer staples stock in that grouping which helps offset the higher fees the 4 funds command.

* While not in itself an alternative fund, TRRIX holds some TRP funds which are ”alternatives” - notably TRDZX and PRAFX. Suspect others as well - short on time.

Note: The alternatives sleeve is supposed to represent conservative, stable, time-tested non-traditional investments in which I have an high degree of confidence. As such, it is rarely messed around with. I trust them enough as a whole to keep hands-off.
    -

In the single malt sleeve, picked up a bottle of “Craigellachie” Speyside on a lark while in Costco a month back. Before popping the cork last night I took a closer look at the label - 46% ABV (92 proof). Wow. Was surprised they made single malt in that strength. Haven’t consumed enough to evaluate yet - but first impression was positive - FWIW.
  • edited January 2023
    "In the single malt sleeve, picked up a bottle of “Craigellachie” Speyside on a lark while in Costco a month back. Before popping the cork last night I took a closer look at the label - 46% ABV (92 proof). Wow. Was surprised they made single malt in that strength. Haven’t consumed enough to evaluate yet - but first impression was positive - FWIW."
    +1.
  • how whiskies are ‘made’, from the getgo, all of them

and then more water

This one already cut
  • I'll be growing a TIPS stake until I see that it's not a good idea, anymore.
  • edited January 2023

how whiskies are ‘made’, from the getgo, all of them

and then more water

This one already cut

Good to know! Most interesting. Thanks. Do enjoy many of the 40% ones - both blended and single malt. Quite often buy couple different Tomatin single malts at 43%.
  • hank said:

how whiskies are ‘made’, from the getgo, all of them

and then more water

This one already cut

Good to know! Most interesting. Thanks. Do enjoy many of the 40% ones - both blended and single malt. Quite often buy couple different Tomatin single malts at 43%.
    From their website:
    "The Tomatin 12-Year-Old is classically smooth, having been matured in traditional Scotch Whisky, ex-Bourbon and ex-Spanish Sherry casks. Aromas of wild heather, pine and cedar soon sweeten to reveal notes of crème caramel with apples, pears and mango before a full-bodied and buttery finish, the 12-year-old is a distinguished sherry cask whisky with a little something different."

• .pdf. TRP 2023 investment outlook:

sorry if this is a repeat.
    Recommended: small-caps, Long Treasuries, Junk Bonds.
    https://www.troweprice.com/content/dam/fai/Collections/Insight Page/global-market-outlook/2023-global-market-outlook/2023-global-market-outlook.pdf
  • edited January 2023
    WSJ Story: ”Liquor Brands Bet Thrifty Drinkers Will Keep Making At-Home Cocktails”

”Many Americans took to mixing cocktails at home during the pandemic, boosting liquor sales. Now, with inflation squeezing disposable incomes, big distillers are betting on another round of home drinking as consumers economize. Historically, around 80% of all U.S. alcoholic drinks sales were for home drinking, according to IWSR, a drinks market-research firm. That level rose to 90% during the pandemic, and sales at bars aren’t likely to return to pre-Covid levels for another four to five years, IWSR says. To capitalize, spirits brands are doubling down on efforts they started during the pandemic to meet drinkers where they are, launching new products and marketing campaigns catering to at-home drinking and putting greater emphasis on their e-commerce channels.”

(From “Business and Finance” - WSJ - 1/9/2023)

To each his own. But I’ll never understand ruining perfectly good whisky by dumping other stuff into it.
  • To each his own. But I’ll never understand ruining perfectly good whisky by dumping other stuff into it.

indeed.