Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pentagon Fails Another Audit

This is the fifth time in a row the Pentagon has failed an audit. Some $2 trillion in assets can't be precisely accounted for. Yet it barely makes the news, and there's little reaction from either party. Could you imagine the reaction if trillions couldn't be accounted for in social programs like welfare or food stamps?:

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/3740921-defense-department-fails-another-audit-but-makes-progress/

https://npr.org/2021/05/19/997961646/the-pentagon-has-never-passed-an-audit-some-senators-want-to-change-that

Comments

• Those darned $600 toilet seats would screw up any attempt at an audit.
  • Wipe the slate clean and start over. You will never resolve and will gain the onus of auditing the audit itself. Example, with all the Brac closings, what ya wanta bet there are property items from defunct posts acting as hanging chads in the audit data. If things were not resolved in reasonable time around when they occurred, what is this audit but a yearly OMG? Reboot, clear the cache, build an accurate inventory, record the history, get a virus inventory checker!
  • That would be one hell of an "inventory". How to keep track of every item owned by each and every one of the six armed services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and Space Cadets)? Down to every last rifle and bullet?

Come on.
  • edited December 2022
    I would suspect large corporations with many items like Amazon and Walmart keep track of their purchases down to the item. But even if that were not possible to the bullet, how does over $2 trillion in assets go unaccounted for? Where is it? That’s a lot of missing bullets.
  • 2T, indeed. But I'm not surprised.
  • edited December 2022
    Sorry, I deleted what I wrote because all I said was just guessing based on flimsy observations.

Which makes me curious as to what is not accounted for in that $2T. I can only guess.
  • "I can only guess"

Seems like the Pentagon is doing a lot of guessing too.