Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Book Recommendation

A while back Ed Studzinski inone of his monthly MFO commentaries recommended reading Amor Towles' A Gentleman in Moscow. It's a wonderful book, one that could restore your hope in humanity while providing great entertainment. (The Classical goal of literature is to instruct while entertaining, the old professor in me intones.) I read Towles' earlier novel, Rules of Civility, also very satisfying and providing many lessons from our first president on how life should be led. I'm just finishing the latest novel, The Lincoln Highway, a rollicking saga that defies description but which had me laughing aloud while on a late flight into DTW last night. Throughout Towles' writing is an emphasis on the importance of social conventions, good manners, and rules of comportment, which, if observed, can actually make us happier and make some sense out of our place on the planet. For me, nothing these days is more significant than finding an antidote to the meanness and incivility in our public discourse. Highly recommended.

Comments

• @BenWP- Your suggestions take me back to the very early days of MFO- we had a special section dedicated to recommended reading. I was sorry to see that fall by the wayside.
    There's absolutely no reason why this post couldn't be used as an ongoing "anchor" for something like that, though.
  • edited November 2022
    Russ Robert’s had the author (Studzinski) on Econtalk. Mr Roberts said perhaps you should read the book first - so I shut it off. But it is on my list.

I just finished The Matchmaker: A Spy in Berlin - by Paul Vidich. A piano tuner in 1989 Berlin goes missing - could he have been a spy? Is he dead? A good yarn, a very short read.