Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Meta laying off more than 11,000 employees: Read Zuckerberg’s letter announcing the cuts

2»

Comments

• edited November 2022
    I agree with you on the problems with news and privacy on social media and don’t use it much myself. But my point is for many people Facebook and other platforms aren’t a news source. It’s how they stay in touch with their family and friends throughout the world. In fact, I know people who say they’ve reconnected with old friends this way and stay connected with family members they normally don’t have much contact with. Much like the phone, if all of your family and friends are using social media and you’re not, you run the risk of increasing social isolation, of not being abreast of what’s going on with people you care about. Yet I have the same reservations about fake news, shallow social media and privacy everyone here has mentioned.

Ironically, one of the reason kids are leaving Facebook is that their parents are on it too now and they don’t want their parents to know what they’re up to. Nor do they want to deny their parents friend request. That has to be a comically awkward conversation. I imagine some parents learn more about what their kids are really up to via social media than by talking to them directly.
  • "one of the reason kids are leaving Facebook is that their parents are on it too now and they don’t want their parents to know what they’re up to."

Boy, that's new... when I was a kid I wanted my parents to know everything that I was up to.:) :) :)