Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

BOOM. euro = .9935 dollar.

Well. I paid $1.51 for a euro in 2009. And the yen is back over 137/dollar. CAD = $1.30 again.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Trying to think of anything I want to buy directly from Europe and have it shipped to the U.S.
  • Shipping costs eat you up
  • It’s tempting to resume travel to Europe, but doing so on the basis of a weak Euro would be to overlook many drawbacks: understaffed airports and erratic flight schedules, the historically high temperatures, COVID, and the war. I have benefited twice during extended stays from a weak French Franc, and got hammered in another year. When the Franc underwent the equivalent of a reverse stock split (5 Francs became 1 Euro), prices were « rounded up » , a subtle way to make the cost of living go up. Currency manipulation has many faces. @LewisBraham: I don’t think European goods have been a bargain for a long time, so even a 10-15% discount wouldn’t make a great difference.
  • yes, rounding up. true. it's being done in canada every day. the penny has been buried. the change you receive at the cash register is rounded up or down to the nearest nickel. canada and europe are both stinky-expensive.