Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Why Democrats are paying for ads supporting Republican primary candidates

edited July 2022 in Off-Topic
LINK

IMHO this is pathetic. Are the good citizens who donate $$ to the Democratic Governors Association made aware at the time that their contributions are being so directed? Regardless of who’s TV ad it is, the misinformation and representation of the opponents’ records are deplorable - and it’s coming from both sides.

During this week’s always excellent “Off The Record” program (telecast by Lansing’s WKAR in conjunction with PBS) longtime moderator Tim Skubick suggests (roughly quoted): “Anyone who bases their voting decision on TV ads, should go play golf instead.”

Comments

• Pathetic it is, for sure. But there is absolutely no lower limit to the depths that Trumpists will go in order to take over this country, by force if necessary, as has been amply documented. If this sort of thing is of any help in preventing that, then it may be pathetic, but also necessary.
  • +1 Old Joe Unfortunately, in this country , elections have too many consequences, and devious tactics are unfortunately necessary to prevent a fascist autocracy and the rollback of almost 160 years of uneven progress in the advancement of civil rights !
  • edited July 2022
    FWIW - I’ll be “crossing over” during Michigan’s August 2 primary next week because someone I know well and respect is running for a state congressional seat against another fella who has vowed to confiscate all the state’s 2020 voting machines and rip into them if elected. Since a split ballot isn’t allowed here, I’ll be sure to vote the other R most extreme folks on the ticket expecting they’d loose in in November. (A fella who’s facing federal charges for participating in the January 6 insurrection is a R candidate for Governor. ) So, at the individual level I’m not opposed to the concept.

PS: I couldn’t make this one up if I tried. LOL / 5 Gubernatorial Candidates Disqualified
  • It's a real shame that it's come to this sort of thing, but whatever it takes to overcome the lies, deceit, and outright subversion of the democratic voting process needs to be done.

Benjamin Franklin said “We have given you a Republic. It remains to be seen if you will be able to retain it.” How prescient he was.
  • edited August 2022
    I sent in my ballot by mail, yesterday. In Hawaii, the Primary is "closed." That fact alone sucks big doggy poopies. But my understanding is that it's the PARTIES which fund the PRIMARIES. The Democrats hold almost 100% of the legislative seats, and the Governor's office. They are the 800-pound gorilla in the room, and they can have their way.

...Trouble is this: everyone knows that in order to have any chance at all of winning, candidates need to be DEMOCRATS. That holds, whether or not they truly think and act like Democrats. So, the tent is huge in Hawaii that calls itself "Democrat." You can find Progressive, Moderate and Conservative, calling themselves "Democrat." So, the Democrats are entrenched. (Better than having the Repugnants entrenched!) Which means that nothing gets done, much. There's no competition! This is to say nothing of the CORRUPTION that shows up way too often in the newspapers. It's a disgrace. ...And don't even get me started about the light rail rapid transit system: in the works for way too long, and exponentially over-budget. Now, the design and extent of the routes are being cut back. Not even a parking lot for the commuters driving in to meet the train at its extremities, in the suburbs. (And it was never designed to reach the North Shore or the Windward side, anyhow!)

Disqualified candidates. THAT'S rich! As I've said before, the Repugnants have stopped being a Party. They are an Insurgency, now. They must be treated as such. They will attempt to take control by whatever machinations they can manage. Disgraceful. Yes, both sides lie and mischaracterize and misrepresent the opponent's record. No holds barred. Shameless. I was too young to see it back then, but that's what the LBJ camp did to uncle Barry Goldwater in '64. ....Then, I bumped into a series of appearances by Goldwater on the Dick Cavett late-night talk show. He was certainly not the devil incarnate. I might still never have voted for him. But he had some big balls to tell Tricky Dick that he ought to resign. Those were the days when the Repugnant Party was the Republican Party.

How much of our malaise is due to the way the System is designed? And how much of it is due to the fact that about half of the voters are convinced of conspiracy theories and other claptrap? Even among those who are not brainwashed, I contend that they're too STOOPID to vote. I see it all the time: uninformed, unaware even of how the system works! I had a friend the other day actually ask me what the Electoral College is! And he's a High School graduate. Jayzuz H. Christ. ...How much is NOT being taught in schools these days???
  • Old_Joe said:

Pathetic it is …

Unfortunately, lt is we.
  • edited August 2022
    Wandering a bit. But in this northern reach of Mi’s lower peninsula the pro-trump faction of the R’s ruled primary day. From what I can tell all the “winners” from candidate for Gov. down to state representatives are running against the 2020 election and would tear into those voting machines given the chance. Hell, the “fraud” lie is becoming so prominent in their public pronouncements I’m a bit worried I might fall for it. I think it was a fella named Joseph Goebbels who was Hitler’s propaganda chief. Goebbels preached that if you repeat a lie often enough more and more people will start to believe it.

The Republican I crossed over to support (and donated to) was the only moderate in the race. Pulled 10% of the vote in a field of 5. Top dog got north of 40%. So it goes.
  • too stupid to maintain a democracy...