Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barron's Cover Story on Income/Dividends

COVER STORY, “(Some) Yields Are Above 8%. It’s Time to Get Excited About Income Investing”. Some bond prices have dropped more than some stocks and several bond yields have doubled. Bonds and 60-40 funds are attractive again. There are conflicting concerns about inflation (and stagflation) bs recession. In the list below, ordering is OEFs; ETFs, CEFs; stocks/bonds.
Pipeline Co: AMLP; KMF, SMM; WMB, KMI, MMP, EPD, ET
Dividend Stocks: VYM, SCHD, NOBL; JPM, GS, MS, WFC, C, DVN, PXD, XOM, CVX, WHR, TFC, MMM, WBA
International Dividend Stocks: SCHY, VGK (Europe), IEMG (EMs)
Convertibles: CWB; AVK
HY: TUHYX; HYG, ANGL
Real Estate Stocks: VNQ; RQI; ESS, MAA, TRNO, EGP
Funds of CEFs: MDFIX
Munis: VWITX; MUB; NEA, NZF
Telecoms: VZ, T
Preferreds: PFF; JPM-M, VNO-O, WFC-Z, T-C
Electric Utilities: XLU; UTG; DUK, SO, XEL
Treasuries: SHY, TIP, TLT

Part 2 will have a feature on sold off small-cap funds,
OEFs AVALX, DSCPX, SSLCX, RYPRX, RYSEX, AASMX; ETFs IJR/S&P SC600, IWM/R2000, SLYV/S&P SC600-V.

https://ybbpersonalfinance.proboards.com/thread/309/barron-july-2022-market-week

Comments

• edited July 2022
    SC piece is by @LewisBraham
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/small-cap-funds-beat-blue-chips-51656530650?mod=past_editions

Part 2 Link

FUNDS. SMALL-CAPs (SCs) have sold off sharply (-31.9% from 11/8/21 high to 6/16/22 trough) and may be resilient in recession this time and may rebound better than blue chips in recovery. The SCs have EV/EBITDA discounts of 22% (20-year low) vs large-caps (LCs) while they typically trade at premium. Almost 44% of R2000 had losses for Q1. Although R2000 is a widely used SC index, the S&P SC600 is a better SC index (foreign investors don’t care for this distinction and tend to go for R2000). ACTIVE SC managers may outperform SC index during the rebound. The SCs are domestically oriented and benefit from deglobalization. Mentioned are OEFs AVALX, DSCPX, SSLCX, RYPRX, RYSEX, AASMX; ETFs IJR/S&P SC600, IWM/R2000, SLYV/S&P SC600-V.
  • I took a look at the SC funds mentioned in Barron’s. Didn’t find one that would make me change my mind about BRSVX. The screening used M*’s « quality «  metric. BRSVX does not measure up, or so it seems. AVALX has been mentioned on the board previously; 83% in materials and energy does not make a diversified fund. Others may know something about the other OEFs cited. The harder they fall does not necessarily mean they’ll bounce off the canvas.
  • edited July 2022
    BenWP said:

I took a look at the SC funds mentioned in Barron’s. Didn’t find one that would make me change my mind about BRSVX. The screening used M*’s « quality «  metric. BRSVX does not measure up, or so it seems. AVALX has been mentioned on the board previously; 83% in materials and energy does not make a diversified fund. Others may know something about the other OEFs cited. The harder they fall does not necessarily mean they’ll bounce off the canvas.

Dividend investing ain’t my cup of tea / expertise. But the article was so broad based and covered so many different fund and stock possibilities I would have had trouble narrowing it down to a single choice. They used to run an offense in the NFL called “the shotgun formation” - with everything spread way out. That’s the feeling I had reading this. Mentions several different banks (ie J. P. Morgan) as paying hefty dividends. Yep. Hardly revealing. By chance I own one of them. Watch it jump next week.:)
  • Barron's cover stories are long (multiple Barron's pages) and provide in-depth coverage on the topics involved. Andrew Bary's focus this week was on income/dividend investing and it may be a hit for those who are into this type of investing, but a miss for others (that is true for most cover stories). The 2nd story mentioned in the OP was a full-length feature on small-caps by @LewisBraham. I think @hank meant his comment for the Cover Story but posted it as reply to BenWP who posted about the SC story.
  • edited July 2022
    I always find @LewisBraham’s articles excellent. Several of his have been very helpful to me over the years. This week’s “9 Funds That Could Beat the Market” is no exception.

My sweeping remark was a reaction to the cover story only. IMHO they tried to cover too much. Glad @Yogibearbull and others found it useful. As Yogi intones, the appeal is likely stronger for those with a special interest in this type of investment. I look forward to Barron’s every week, and sometimes it’s hard not to not weigh in on articles mentioned on the board. Hope many others share their reactions to this and other intriguing articles.

Remark not directed at any particular individual. Ben’s assessment is what prompted me to weigh in - sparked my interest so to speak. But I’d been thinking about what I said for some time.
  • @hank. Indeed. Concur. THANKS to @yogibearbull