Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Interactive Charting AWOL?

Whether in the « quote » or the « performance » mode of a M* fund evaluation, the button for interactive charting has been missing for a couple of days. I can’t find any charting function for M* even though I am a Premium subscriber. I can chart in other applications such as Yahoo or Schwab, but I dislike having to switch gears when I’m trying to compare two or three funds quickly.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Probably some temporary M* issue.

In the meantime, use the M* old charts by replacing tickers in the URL. Single charts only, no Compare.
    http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fund/chart?t=VFINX&region=usa&culture=en_US

Use Stockcharts to compare,
    https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=VFIAX, QQQ, IWM

Yahoo charts DO NOT include reinvestments.
  • Thanks, @yogibearbull. I do want total return charts, as you point out. Do you subscribe to Stockcharts?
  • No, free Stockcharts are good enough for me. For total-return, it uses a slightly different methodology of adjusted-prices (in Yahoo Finance Historical Data TABLES, but not in its charts). TICKERS produce adjusted-price charts (default), _TICKERS produce actual price charts; BOTH can be shown in the same chart showing dramatic effects of reinvestments.
  • I find Ycharts basic service good for charting and reasonably priced.
  • @yogibearbull Thanks for the Stockcharts total return vs actual price explanation
  • I heard from M*,

"FYI – we did a code release last night which removed the “Show Full Chart” link on the Stock quote page and the link to more Key Ratio day.

This applies to both logged-in and visitor experiences. 

I’m hoping we restore this for logged-in members today."
  • I notice the interactive charts are missing, too, from Morningstar. They got more issues "than Carter's has pills."
  • M* Interactive charts are BACK!
  • edited May 2022
    This issue is what prompted me to join MFO. Thanks for this post and the comments. Unfortunately, on my browsers, I cannot get M* interactive charts any more. Is this function now only available for logged-in members? @yogibearbull have you heard any updates?
  • edited May 2022
    @Ted_Turner, I just checked in logged-off mode and the Interactive charts are NOT available.

I see them in logged-in mode. As I have M* Premium, I cannot check availability for (free) M* Basic login. May be others can report on this. I haven't heard any complaints.
  • Working OK for me
  • Thank you @yogibearbull. @BenWP do you use a paid subscription to access M* Interactive charts?
  • I do have a subscription.
  • Ah! Well, there's the problem. Thanks for your reply.
  • Um, is that Ted Turner of CNN posting on the MFO Board ?!
  • Not unless he's using a ouija board or spirit medium. :)
  • @carew388, it's just a pseudonym for my MFO presence. I value my privacy.:-)
  • Ok thanks ! Ted Turner is still with us, although he's battling Lewy body dementia.
  • @carew388- You're quite right- the "Ted Turner" obituary notice that I saw was for a different gentleman. Sorry...
  • In yet another change, Interactive Chart click is REMOVED from the Quote page and there is a new CHART tab that works for ALL - unsigned + Basic (free) + Premium.
    https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vfiax/chart
  • The interactive chart was also removed from the Performance page.
  • dont think the Add Comparison search tab is giving the same options as the previous interactive chart for ETF's.
  • dont think the Add Comparison search tab is giving the same options as the previous interactive chart for ETF's.

Can you explain the issue now?

As before, I see a long list containing 3-4 character ETF name that opens up when an ETF ticker is entered (to start or to compare) and you have to identify the proper name for ETF (self-standing or TICKER/NV).
  • Enter in Search quotes box :VWINX
    Click Chart
    In Add Comparison use CGDV
    you see shaded "Index" on left of box but no shaded "ETF" choices as before.

The coding issue may be specific to a Mutual fund to ETF comparison problem.

Now reverse the order....enter CGDV and compare to VWINX which now shows "no results" in my browser.
  • @shipwreckedandalone, I see.

I just had stopped when the menus opened up. But I see that on a mutual fund chart, when ETF is added by compare, the correct ETF name isn't there, and none of the ones shown pull up anything on the chart.

I also see that when chart is started with an ETF, mutual fund tickers by Compare produce "No results".

Charts OK when like things are added by Compare (mutual funds to mutual fund chart, ETFs to ETF chart).

I will contact my M* source. They may have loaded an incorrect version.

• Thanks Yogi for helping with your M* connections.
  • Looking forward to hearing if this inability to compare ETFs to Mutual Funds is permanent. I suspect it is, since they now require a separate page for the chart itself. Just another nail in the coffin of M* for individual investors. Dumbing down the articles, eliminating insightful mutual funds reports in favor of computer generated junk.. the list of hits to M8 as a useful company goes on and on.

No reason to tell long time ( 30 years) customers ahead of time, now is there, M*?

Yahoo finance still charts some mutual funds with ETFs, but several funds have no chart available.

MFO charts show both ETFs and mutual funds, so it can't be a data stream issue, can it?
  • The chart is now in a rather squashed format so that M* can fit an ad in on the right hand side of the page. In addition, the flexibility to set one's own time period is gone -- now it's 1 month to max only.
  • glad for my ad-blocker. clean page. yes, there is a clickable CHART button I see now.