Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Healthcare VGHCX, Value TBGVX

Healthcare VGHCX and value TBGVX are featured in Barron's this week. Summaries are from LINK.

Barron's Issue (may need subscription) https://www.barrons.com/magazine?mod=BOL_TOPNAV

Jean HYNES, CEO (07/2021- ) of Wellington Management and Manager of VG Healthcare VGHCX (active). VGHCX has exposure in biopharma (overweight), healthcare services (overweight), medical technology (underweight as many stocks have runup). Biotech (IBB) have been hurt by speculation, IPOs, difficult clinical testing and FDA approval process, and higher interest rates; many biotech are trading below their cash levels and their further downside may be limited. Megatrends include revolution in biology (ILMN, MRNA, PFE, AZN, TMO, DHR, etc) and healthcare digitization (UNH, ANTM, etc). We may be better prepared for the next pandemic. AI will have a huge impact in future. Unfortunately, many diseases have not received much attention or investments. (Nothing about Wellington Management)

FUNDS. Comanagers Thomas SHRAGER and Robert WYCKOFF of international value TBGVX (ER 1.37%) don’t rely on old value metrics such as book value, but on the newer EV/EBIT (more relevant for buying whole companies), etc. The current tectonic shift to value started in 2020/Q4. Higher rates also favor value vs growth. Fund holds a mix of high-quality steady companies, cyclicals and deep-value; Europe accounts for 42%.

Also

REVIEW. BIOTECH stocks are in a bear market (XBI -39% YTD, -61% since 02/2021). 120+ biotech have market value less than their net cash on hand. Only a handful of biotech are doing well or OK – AMGN, VRTX, IONS, ALKS, EXEL, MIRM, ALBO, VIVO, IRWD, etc.

Comments

• It is worth knowing that Dan Weiner who has published the Independent Advisor for Vanguard Investors (for decades), long ago felt Hynes was doing such a poor job running VGHCX that he advised his readers to sell it and just use the Vanguard Health Care ETF VHT. He has between 8 and 14% of his portfolios in VHT

He has a "hold" ie Sell on VGHCX but rates VHT a buy still.
  • edited May 2022
    delete.
  • Thanks for pointing out VG Independent Advisor's past unfavorable view on VGHCX.

M* also notes underperformance since 2016 and that its foreign exposure is high at 25%+. Hynes has been comanager since 2008 and manager since 2013. M* still has (backward-looking) 4* and (forward-looking) Silver ratings for it.

That didn’t hurt Hynes’ career at Wellington Management as she rose from administrative assistant through the ranks to CEO in 2021. I was hoping to see some insights into where Wellington Management is going but there wasn’t any.
  • I haven't looked closely at VGHAX in a while.
    IIRC, the fund performed well under Edward Owens.
    It's performance has been about average during Jean Hynes' solo tenure.
    Ms. Hynes is the only named manager for VGHAX and she also became Wellington CEO in 2021.
    It seems like she has a lot on her plate...
  • edited May 2022
    sma3 said:

It is worth knowing that Dan Weiner who has published the Independent Advisor for Vanguard Investors (for decades), long ago felt Hynes was doing such a poor job running VGHCX that he advised his readers to sell it and just use the Vanguard Health Care ETF VHT. He has between 8 and 14% of his portfolios in VHT

He has a "hold" ie Sell on VGHCX but rates VHT a buy still.

Mr. Wiener recommended the Vanguard Health Care Fund for many years.
    The fund was subsequently sold in all three active Independent Advisor model portfolios -
    Growth, Conservative Growth, and Income.
    IIRC, Mr. Wiener pulled the plug on the Health Care Fund after Jean Hynes
    became the Wellington Management CEO on June 30, 2021.
  • Announcement of Jean Hynes as CEO was made in September 2020 and was to be effective in July 2021. VG Independent Advisor pulled the plug on VGHCX in December 2020. So, it was soon after the announcement but well before her start as CEO.
  • Thanks for the clarification!
  • The interview is another example of the declining usefulness of Barron's interviews. She doesn't say anything new, really. AI, Big Data, genomic revolution have been predicted to revolutionize health care for at least the last 20 years. No one talks about how the EHR has enabled Docs to just "Copy and paste" most data making it GIGO.

UNH has yet to demonstrate that owning physicians ( whose interests are directly opposed to the bottom line of a health insurance company) is a better business model that will be competitive. For years UNH has been the nastiest, most restrictive and most anti-patient health insurer around.

Every health care fund has MDs and PhDs, I assume who think they can predict which new drug or monoclonal antibody is going to be successful. It is hard to predict biological success in clinical problems before the results of the clinical trials are available.

Biogen is a classic example of pouring piles of money into a new drug that doesn't work, but then being stuck when you have to face the music. Having invested so much they can't let it go and fund "work arounds" and political pressure to get it approved.

I will pass on VGHCX and look for other options.
  • I use RYH as a benchmark for the healthcare sector. Its performance and the VG fund are tied for 1 yr, but RYH has outperformed 3 and 5 yrs. The sector has disappointed in recent years, especially in biotech, as noted by @sma3.
  • edited May 2022
    So it seems to me will Jean Hynes as CEO , turn the VG fund ( VGHCX ) around !?
    https://www.marketwatch.com/articles/healthcare-revolution-how-to-invest-51652337901?mod=mw_quote_news
    If first link doesn't work , try this one.
  • I have read Weiner for years, as the newsletter is cheap although he rarely changes anything in the portfolios. However, it would not be my first choice for income, as his income portfolio looses 20% when the market crashes.

Having said that, he is usually correct about individual Vanguard funds in the long run. There are lots of ways to play healthcare, I just don't see any reason to believe Hynes can all of a sudden "get it right".

RYH is an interesting idea. Buffet just bailed on BYM and bought McKesson. Maybe he knows something
  • I switched to VHT when Owens retired. Much happier without dealing with the 60 days holding period. Not easy to find good active managers for healthcare/ biotech funds.
  • +1 sven Now if only there was an etf version of VWINX !
  • Sven said:

I switched to VHT when Owens retired. Much happier without dealing with the 60 days holding period. Not easy to find good active managers for healthcare/ biotech funds.

If I was seeking a dedicated healthcare fund, I might consider FSPHX.
    Managed by Eddie Yoon since 10/01/2008.
  • Surprisingly, to me XLV nas been competitive compared to the aforementioned healthcare funds !