Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

One 2022 Mutual Fund Lesson

RLSFX is not really a "market neutral" fund; be careful when dipping toes in such waters.

That is all.

R

Comments

• beebee
    edited April 2022
    Cars in neutral can roll backwards if you don't apply the brakes...add market neutral mutual funds to the list.
  • Both M* & Yahoo Finance show it as long-short fund with net long.

Although not mkt-neutral, caution applies as those are 50-50 L-S & things can be bad on both sides.
  • edited April 2022
    I don't believe Morningstar ever considered it a market neutral fund. In fact, Morningstar no longer even considers long-short equity funds like this alternative funds as most have too much beta exposure or correlation to the market.
  • hey all -- points taken; maybe this fund should be classified as "Beta-plus". never again.
  • edited April 2022
    Shakespeare said, “What’s in a name?”

But on closer examination, that’s a horrific YTD return, likely made worse by rapid outflows. Reminiscent of something similar here involving MFLDX many years ago. Rats fleeing a sinking ship. My heart goes out to those who lost money in this.

Call it “Short end of the stick” maybe.

Names don’t tell you much. I have a dab in QMN which is probably closer to being “market neutral” - as it doesn’t seem to go anywhere …:)
  • edited April 2022

RLSFX is not really a "market neutral" fund; be careful when dipping toes in such waters.

That is all.

R

hey all -- points taken; maybe this fund should be classified as "Beta-plus". never again.

hank said:

Shakespeare said, “What’s in a name?”

Names don’t tell you much.

============================

RLSFX - RiverPark Long/Short Opportunity Fund Retail Class

Trying to NOT put salt in your wounds, BUT...

I think we should all be able to agree that no, it "is not really a market neutral fund."

You would think that the fund name alone would confirm that.

But if the name alone doesn't do it, M* has classified it as a Long/Short fund since its inception in March 2012.

Then there are its holdings that include 67% LCG and 21% MCG. No hint of "market neutral" there.

So is the "One 2022 Mutual Fund Lesson" maybe that we as investors should understand (or at least have some clue) what it is we are invested in?

If so, why would that be a "2022 Lesson"? Isn't that a lesson investors should have learned somewhere around the time of their very first investment? For me, that was 1980.

And no need to create a new "Beta-plus" category. Doesn't "long/short" in the name of the fund already imply that?
  • The PM, Rubin, has made his name in other funds as a LCG manager.
  • The March commentary reads like Cathie Wood on steroids. Generational opportunity in the current portfolio. I hold out hope, but what a shellacking YTD! That being said, it's the type of fund that can make up 15% in a week.
  • edited April 2022
    wxman123 said:

The March commentary reads like Cathie Wood on steroids. Generational opportunity in the current portfolio. I hold out hope, but what a shellacking YTD! That being said, it's the type of fund that can make up 15% in a week.

And there’s nothing wrong having a few sticks of dynamite in your portfolio - as long as you know it’s there! For dealing with high explosives I might prefer a stock - or two or three - over a fund.

Not a recommendation, but I’m using QLS as a long / short fund. It’s off a bit over 6% YTD and about even over one year. The problem with any LS is that the manager has to determine which stocks to short and which ones to go long on … (Duh)
  • BIVRX pretty good too, but I could see it having the same problem as RLSFX in a different environment. When you get BOTH your L and S wrong, you're screwed!
  • M* puts hedge-fund like strategies in mutual fund wrapper under liquid-alts and says that despite renewed interest (and inflows), these funds haven't delivered. https://www.morningstar.com/articles/1087561/liquid-alternatives-funds-belong-on-most-investors-too-hard-pile