Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2022 NCAA

Bracket is out. I understand there are Michigan fans here. They drew Colorado State. Gonzaga drew Georgia State. Notre Dame vs. Rutgers. Let's Dance!

Comments

• mstate goes against davidson, another hard to call
  • edited March 2022
    Not a Michigan fan. Like to wager on non-home teams. Couple $$ on Utah State over Oregon tonight. Prefer the NBA for caliber of play. Last night’s Milwaukee Bucks over Utah was an excellent well fought game. The Bucks won - but the lead sea-sawed all evening.
  • edited March 2022
    My radio is what I'll be listening to the games with. Westwood One local station. Maybe catch some of them at the Irish Rose Pub on tv.
  • The Zags or Baylor to win it all, then again probably not !

Go Bucky
  • edited March 2022
    Truth in posting: Utah State fell apart in the second half last night and I lost my bet. The Oregon team were 5 point underdogs when the contest began and lacking 2 regular players. Still, they made a “romp” of it in the second half. Not even close at the end. In the second half State “couldn’t hit the back side of a barn.” (The whole point of the game is to put the ball through the hoop.:))

Celtics at Golden State should be great game tonight . Not sure I want to stay up past midnight to watch.
  • Derf said:

The Zags or Baylor to win it all, then again probably not !

Go Bucky

Baylor beat Zags LAST year, eh? Right? Those suckers can SHOOT.
  • edited March 2022
    The Google may break tonight from searches on "St. Peter's University."
  • edited March 2022
    Murry St & SF. Hell of a game. Just went into OT. I had a little on SF, but switched to Murray early after watching them play. But still have a small “hedge” position on SF.
  • St. Peter : I thought that the team may have a line up of mostly senior, but not the case , only one ! More favorites to fall today !
    Enjoy the watch, Derf
  • edited March 2022
    @Derf: Isn't it great how competitive most of the field is. Anything can happen, any game. I mean, on top of the big upsets, the Catamounts nearly took Arkansas; imagine that ever happening in football.

The St. Peter's coach is pretty amazing. Looks like he gets every ounce out of his players.
  • DOWN goes #1 Baylor & my bracket ! Well there is the Sweet Sixteen for redemption.
  • edited March 2022
    holy jeepers, i gotta start paying attention. zags vs. memphis coming up.

• ......FECES! I just turned on the radio. The Zags were on. Then a commercial break. Then back to the game. The WRONG GAME! WTF!!!! What the actual F**k???????
  • .....Found the game on the internet. Helluva 2nd-half for the Zags. Wa-hoo-bonga. Timme could not MISS.
    ONCE, I think. Next: Razorbacks.
  • And yes----- St Peter's? Who knew? Nice surprise. Jersey City is good for SOMETHING. Jersey, did you say? Which Exit?
  • @Crash, yup, and they're in the Sweet 16. Last night vs. Murray, same pattern as against Kentucky - close game throughout, until the last few minutes, decisively won by St. Pete. (Another Jesuit U.)
  • edited March 2022
    Delete …

I was thinking of different game. Yes, Murray State and SF was an excellent contest. Too bad one or the other had to loose.
  • It's the age of the "transfer portal". Name a reason & transfer is on the way. First came the "one & done" . Players getting paid while in college, more than a free ride, is the coming story as it is already in place.
    I'd like to see St Peter reach the finals, or is that a dream ?

Go Badgers, Derf
    P.S. Was taken back on the
    Big Ten early defeats , but so
    much parity comes into play.
  • edited March 2022
    “It's the age of the "transfer portal". Name a reason & transfer is on the way. First came the "one & done" . Players getting paid while in college, more than a free ride, is the coming story as it is already in place.”

Is there anything in society we haven’t yet managed to monetize? I do wonder about academics - the 3-Rs.

PS - I’d like to wish everybody lots of luck with their favored teams! For myself, don’t watch sports or any TV during the daylight hours. And this evening there’s a great game between the Boston Celtics and Denver Nuggets I’ll be tuned to. With all due respect, I’d prefer a good NBA game over collegiate - though I do enjoy NCAA too.
  • @hank, "With all due respect, I’d prefer a good NBA game over collegiate" I wonder if there is a difference these days in view of the fact that college sports players can now market their skills/popularity. It's rhetorical so no need to reply.
  • edited March 2022
    Well, rhetorical or not … I’d like to opine.

The caliber of play is markedly better in the pros. NBA players are bigger and stronger. They pass better, guard around the boards & rebound better. They can consistently hit from farther out - though I suspect overall shooting percentages about similar. I don’t think you’ll ever often see them miss an easy layup as happened the other night in the TCU / Seton Hall game. Generally (not always) the whole presentation on TV is superior (announcers, camera work, sound effects, etc.)

Point taken however. How do you educate one of these kids in a college classroom? (also rhetorical) Must miss a whole bunch of class. And if they’re attending 3 or 4 different colleges over that many years there can’t be much congruity of learning.
  • There was lots of mention in the news here not long ago about Rainbow Warriors football players "entering the transfer portal." The Coach was accused of abuse and bad ..... manners? (Shit.) So, someone's given it a NAME? Or is something different, now? Players stay or go, just like ALL students. But players most often get an OFFER to go and play for a different school. ... @hank: true, about a lack of "continuity of learning." I dunno about university basketball players, but with college football, it was explained to me: those student-players cannot even HOPE to earn a degree in the standard 4 years, with all their absences. So, you have "red shirt" freshman and stuff like that. ("5th year seniors," too.) In addition, it's a good bet that many ( or most?) of those 100 percent scholarship players were not recruited for their intellectual acumen! They will NEVER earn an actual academic degree..... Just LISTEN to some of them, when interviewed, eh? Not only do they not know much, but the "English" they speak sounds like Martian, instead. Enunciation? What's THAT? Dumbed-down standards, indeed.
  • edited March 2022
    Well, since we're tossing opinions around here instead of sticking with the topic, here are some more. Reasons to pay attention to college b'ball at least this one time a year:

* Every tourney game is an elimination game. Every game is equivalent to a Game 7 of a series in the NBA playoffs.

* The action is amazing. A mistake at one end so often becomes a great play at the other, many times by the same player. A certain level of inconsistency makes for exciting games, like Baylor's horrible play for 3/4 of the game and their wild comeback from 25 down to Michigan in the last ten minutes to send the game to overtime.

* There is more team play and strategy in college. Yes, there's a lot of one-on-one by some teams, but nothing like the pros. In some cases, pros can be dull and boring if you like the intricacy of the team game. I've never been more sick of anything than seeing another LBJ butt-backing move to the basket, or Harden doing his same moves over and over and over and over in a game, on an island with one defender. Over and over and over and over. Of course for years he traveled EVERY time he did a stepback, but at least the refs finally started calling it.

* There's almost always a surprise team in the NCAA that makes a great run.

* There are great tangential stories like Sister Jean, the 100-y.o. nun superfan of the Loyola of Chicago team.

No mistake; I do like pro b'ball, but college has its own style and rewards for spectators.

P.S. Not everyone watches just for their special team; in fact, it can be more entertaining not to have one.
  • @Crash : Please don't put all football players in the same basket. Chris McIntosh played ball at WI. & NFL . Recently became the new AD at the university.
    Badger fan, Derf
    PS Just for the record I do believe
    WI. has acquired the service
    of at least 2 Rainbow Warriors .
    Thank you very much.
  • edited March 2022
    It’s all good.:) Lots of MSU fans up here.

Mine’s an unorthodox view. And watching the Nuggets get buried by the Celtics (+ - 25 points) tonight wasn’t too thrilling - except I’d bet my last $ on Celtics and live for another day!
  • edited March 2022
    Gotcha, @Derf.
    I would get booted out of here if I actually got specific about what I ACTUALLY meant to say because it is deplorably un-politically correct. ... Anyhow, I DO like the college game better than the pros. The NBA is so predictable. The "team game" in the colleges is more fun to watch.

I've not watched baseball for a few years, since I was still back East. Completely disgusted. You cannot even enjoy the game. The rat-bastards in the Marketing Dept. have figured out how to fill even the space of time between pitches with digital ads, on-screen. So, the game has become something that just happens to be going on in the background during an ADVERTISING EVENT. Sucks big wet hard ones. Oh, ya, the NCAA in 2022: GO, ZAGS! BEAT ARKANSAS!

P.S.: Don't get me started about Civil Defence sirens after every goal during hockey games. Absurd, stoopid, defeaning and moronic. The "game" has turned into a NOISE EVENT.
  • edited March 2022
    Too many commercials. I view on a big screen (projector TV) and the remote is damn handy for temporarily switching over to a black screen and muting volume as well. Works like a charm. The only thing is they’ve taken to showing short ads when guys are taking free throws. Oh, you can see the shot in the corner of the screen, but ain’t the same.

Hate to sound sexist, but I can do without some of the female “color” commentators during mens’ basketball games. Some are good, but others would rather talk about the players’ parents or pets or favorite foods than about the game action.

Only sport I enjoy any more.
  • Oh, giant bags of garbage!!!!! Zags lost to Arkansas. I just saw that.