Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Observations from Schwab

FWIW: Here is a current evaluation of the general financial scene with respect to developments in Europe.

Link to Schwab Article

Comments

• Thanks Dan. Puts things in perspective economically at least. I'm sure all changes if Putin moves further to reinvent the Soviet Union.
  • edited February 2022
    “Cyberattacks are more likely than a nuclear response by Russia.”

Gosh. I feel a lot better now!

Fido sent me something late yesterday re the Ukrainian issue. Being derelict I failed to read it - and now can’t even find it. The brokers and fund houses don’t want a run on the bank. Not that I was so planning.

• edited February 2022
    Hi @hank
    One of these from Fido??? No login required.
    AND to note, yes.........cyber warfare; not a pleasant thought. A system/network hack may only be good as a "one time". One won't be able to use it again on the same system/network.
    One may draw conclusions from a well done movie regarding high-tech and warfare.
  • edited February 2022
    @Catch22 - Thanks for tracking it down. Yup, that’s the one that appeared in my mail late Thursday. Guess they really wanted to really “drive the message home” - as the message appears to reside inside the title. Perhaps the reason I didn’t bother to open.

“Investors should stay calm despite the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.”

Will say I did a small amount of buying, adding to a couple stocks, around 9:30 - 10 AM. Fido’s site seemed unusually slow. I suspected than many were either rushing to buy or to sell. May have prompted their decision to send out the message.

If folks missed this … At the start of trading Thursday, the DJI was off around 750-800 points. Gold had tacked on $65 overnight. Oil was breaking above $100, T Bond yields were falling sharply. By day’s end, things had reversed. Gold actually ended down $35 or more.

Have a pleasant weekend.