Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thoughts On The Market

13»

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Delete. (Self congratulatory posts is not my style hence the deletion)
  • yes, wage and price controls. The dollar came off the Gold Standard in '71.
  • Unexpected rally, 25th Feb. You can be sure there will be big-time selling into this rally by the end of the day, eh? Watch and see...
  • FWIW: Here is a current evaluation of the general financial scene with respect to developments in Europe.

Link to Schwab Article

Note: I previously posted this in "Other Investing", but it seems to fit here nicely.
  • One of the things the Schwab article did not touch on is the oil/gas deals Russia inked with China in the last month.
  • Old_Joe said:

FWIW: Here is a current evaluation of the general financial scene with respect to developments in Europe.

Link to Schwab Article

Note: I previously posted this in "Other Investing", but it seems to fit here nicely.

Yessir. Thanks for that, OJ.
  • edited February 2022
    May add more UEC RSX RSXJ GSG OAS Li vang2050 Monday
    May Buy more when blood on street
    9-24 months outlook could be good for these vehicles
  • @johnN Better keep track of things on an hourly basis if you want to invest in Russia. If you're not willing to invest at least 5% of a portfolio for a meaningful return, you're only playing, yes? Why bother.
    Germany announced at 1:15 pm, EST; that it is in agreement of use, in some form, of the SWIFT system against Russia.

And there is already blood in the streets, literally.

SWIFT international banking system
  • Yes sir thank you
    Wonder WWIIIformations
    Need N.korea cccp Iran join partee
  • edited February 2022
    blood in the streets, sadly. I am aware that many bond mutual funds hold Ukraine bonds. Maybe some of my own? Remember this? "Buy War Bonds! Right here in this theater, tonight."
  • According to current Barron's,
    RUSSIAN stocks down -50% from October high. UKRAINIAN dollar-denominated bond maturing in 5 years yield 32.6%.
  • wow, holy jeepers.
  • @johnN
    Need N.korea cccp Iran join partee
    You're thinking this is a "partee"???

Ironic that you placed CCCP, the "old" Soviet Union acronym. Tis where the "madman's" mind is stuck.

The Ukrainian invasion is a global turning point event. The global community will need to continue to take action(s) properly to end this scenario; and to help prevent another occurrence.
    Hopefully, there remain those near "madman" to prevent him from doing anything fully destructive. His removal from any power position lays upon the shoulders of the citizens. A very closed and dangerous path today, in Russia.

I'll add this again, for those we missed a previous post.

CNN News, live update

• hank said:

Following discussion with much interest. It occurs to me that while Grantham may or may not be 100% “correct”, his views can be included as part of one’s ongoing thought process and help us arrive at intelligent decisions. Had a wonderful college class in the late 60s where much attention was paid to “synthesizing” - forming judgements from different, sometimes contrasting opinions or observations.

“Synthesis suggests the ability to put together separate ideas to form new wholes of a fabric, or establish new relationships: putting together ideas and knowledge in a new and unique form. Can build a structure or pattern from diverse elements, potentially creating new meanings.”

If interested, link below will pull up a cool diagram (and discussion) of Bloom’s ctitical thinking hierarchy. Double-click on illustration to highlight.

LINK to Source.

unfortunately, Grantham is wrong since 2010 and that's a long time (link)
  • edited February 2022
    unfortunately, Grantham is wrong since 2010 and that's a long time

(link)

This is fantastic !
    ty
  • Markets are dealing with a spike in uncertainty as much of the world decouples from Russia. How will this shake out? The view from this house is that there is an increased risk of sustained inflation for the U.S. coupled with more risk of an economic downturn. No new $'s going into the stock market here - just some minor shuffling of currently invested $'s.

This article's look at reasons caution is warranted may be worth considering.

Russia Energy Chaos Triggers the Biggest Market Shock in Decades
  • "stagflation." THERE'S a dirty word. "Hard Times Come Again No More." Stephen Foster.