Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Nice winter view of NYC from Monday’s WSJ

Comments

• I live in Florida so I can't share any snow pics. However by the end of the month I'm sure I'll be able to show some sinkhole pics or pics of a condo collapse !
  • Naw, ocean beach pics of sunrises/sunsets will suffice.
  • edited February 2022
    Old_Joe said:

Good Pic!

Forget all this crap about “winter wonderland”. It’s only pretty when it’s coming down and fresh on the ground. Soon turns to crud as it settles, attracts dirt & grime or gets trampled on and driven through. Nasty too when it thaws a bit and refreezes,

That’s a very realistic picture of the difficulty dealing with heavy snow. It has to be a big problem knowing where to dump it in a city that size. Did a quick read. It appears NYC employs huge melting facilities and than runs the resulting water through wastewater treatment before discharging it. Would be a lot easier to doze it into the Hudson - but not ecologically feasible in this day & age.
  • Please note that I didn't say "pretty picture". I said "good picture", which it certainly is.
  • edited February 2022
    Was just wondering what Elon Musk might do to improve that scene? I think he’d begin with automated equipment! Maybe attack from the air somehow? Melt the snow with rocket thrust? Hell, I don’t know … But there has to be a better way. We’re talking about a pretty large piece of real estate there.