Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Grinder !

August was a grind & Sept. appears to be headed for the grinder.

With that said I'm looking to add the NFL to the grind. Place your Super Bowl winner here

Derf Green Bay Packers

Comments

• "Grinder" is what they call a submarine sandwich around my hometown, in western Massachusetts.
  • @Crash : Thinking it's tough to eat the whole sandwich or the sandwich is tough to eat ?
    How is the variant doing in Hawaii ?
  • edited September 2021
    The real money’s in the online gaming companies, not wagering on games. The chart below shows U.S. market share. I’d say that’s a reasonably accurate representation of the real winners here. Super bowl? You bet! (no pun intended). These guys will be all over it with prominent ads featured during commercials. Actually, wagering on (err … “investing in”) whoever broadcasts the game should work, as the onslaught of first-time betters should boost ratings over past years.

FWIW - My money’s on DKNG - though I recently took profits. Nice run-up from mid $40s two months ago to north of $60 recently. I’m guessing there’s some seasonality to these stocks. Looks like football season tends to be the kickoff for the top earnings season, but that these stocks spend considerable time in the penalty box following the NCAA basketball tournaments.

• Derf said:

@Crash :

**Post-covid celebration. Eating out at Haleiwa Joe's. REVIEW:
    Haleiwa Joe's, Kaneohe location: The place features a fabulous mountain view and a koi-pond, with lush greenery all around. Such excellent food. But know when you go: there are no windows, no A/C to give you a break from the pesky, flying bugs--- unlike the original location in Haleiwa. Even within the more "enclosed" portion of the place, it is all open-air. Normally, there would be a breeze. That's an everyday ingredient of life here in Kaneohe. Not tonight. You might want to ask for a seat at the bar or specify a table under one of the ceiling fans. We had a resident housefly bugging us the entire time. He thought the table belonged to HIM. Sucked. And though it was a super dinner, at those prices, we all deserve A/C, unless you prefer to dine al fresco. I DID smile to see some little lizard-type things crawling around the paintings on the wall. I hope one of them ate the crawling earwig I noticed, and slapped at. But those earwigs have TOUGH shells. Hard to kill. You really have to stomp on them. Or use a blow torch on them. I had the grilled marlin, which was excellent. Garlic-mashed potatoes. Thankfully, the garlic was not so strong as to be weaponized, as with most establishments here--- AND the same way most HOUSEHOLDS "cook" with garlic here in the islands. I ordered a side-salad which was yummy, and we enjoyed the Thai fried calamari with peanut dipping sauce. But afterwards, I had to say, there wasn't much to it. I mean, it just was not substantial. Like eating AIR. Tasty air.
  • Derf said:

@Crash :

**Post-covid celebration. Eating out at Haleiwa Joe's. REVIEW:
    Haleiwa Joe's, Kaneohe location: The place features a fabulous mountain view and a koi-pond, with lush greenery all around. Such excellent food. But know when you go: there are no windows, no A/C to give you a break from the pesky, flying bugs--- unlike the original location in Haleiwa. Even within the more "enclosed" portion of the place, it is all open-air. Normally, there would be a breeze. That's an everyday ingredient of life here in Kaneohe. Not tonight. You might want to ask for a seat at the bar or specify a table under one of the ceiling fans. We had a resident housefly bugging us the entire time. He thought the table belonged to HIM. Sucked. And though it was a super dinner, at those prices, we all deserve A/C, unless you prefer to dine al fresco. I DID smile to see some little lizard-type things crawling around the paintings on the wall. I hope one of them ate the crawling earwig I noticed, and slapped at. But those earwigs have TOUGH shells. Hard to kill. You really have to stomp on them. Or use a blow torch on them. I had the grilled marlin, which was excellent. Garlic-mashed potatoes. Thankfully, the garlic was not so strong as to be weaponized, as with most establishments here--- AND the same way most HOUSEHOLDS "cook" with garlic here in the islands. I ordered a side-salad which was yummy, and we enjoyed the Thai fried calamari with peanut dipping sauce. But afterwards, I had to say, there wasn't much to it. I mean, it just was not substantial. Like eating AIR. Tasty air.
  • edited September 2021
    Crash said:

"Grinder" is what they call a submarine sandwich around my hometown, in western Massachusetts.

We also called sub sandwiches "grinders" in central Connecticut.
    Here in western Washington state, they're usually called subs or hoagies.
    Grinder is not often used to describe sandwiches out here.

• @Observant1- Yes, you're bringing back great memories of attending Electronics School at the Coast Guard training center in Groton when I was 18/19. The gedunk there had several types of grinder- my favorite was the long french bread version with three hamburger patties.
  • @Old_Joe,

That grinder sounds delicious!
    I didn't go to Groton often, but I fished the Thames River (near Electric Boat) several times.
  • ...Memories. As a youngster, we'd spend time at my aunt's place at Black Point, across from Niantic. More recently, while still residing back East, wifey liked to go out fishing for bluefish in L.I. Sound on the Mijoy, out of Waterford. But you could throw a stone across the mouth of the Niantic River, there. On the other side, it's NIANTIC. And it's the fried seafood we'd stop to eat, not grinders. Sad that the bluefish seem to have been "fished-out!" :(. The last couple of trips, she caught porgies, instead. They're good to eat, anyhow. My, how the Filipinos love to eat fish!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefish
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scup
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niantic,_Connecticut

And if it needs to be said, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked and morphed and screwed-up, utterly, by now. Sorry.
  • edited September 2021
    I fished for bluefish on the Mijoy from the early-to-mid 80's through 90 or 91.
    Bluefish are very aggressive feeders and put up a great fight.
    It was quite a blast when you found a school of blues!
    Also went fishing for tuna and cod on the Gail Frances out of Pt. Judith, Rhode Island.
    You're right that this thread has been thoroughly hijacked.
    I apologize and will refrain from posting in this thread going forward.
  • I wouldn't be too concerned about the "hijacking". This is the "Off Topic" section, and the rules are pretty loose over here. Most folks posting here are also pretty loose themselves- I've never seen anyone complain about twist, turns, and diversions here. It's a good place to BS without damage to the more serious posts in the financial sections.

Take a look up at the third comment in this post- Derf himself, the original poster, did a major hijack of his own thread. Like I said, the folks over here are pretty cool.
  • +1 old joe As long as off-topic stays free of political arguments, we'll be fine !
  • 10-4 on that!