Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Is there an index of closed-end funds?

BWG
edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
I am looking to identify an index of closed-end funds or some other aggregate/summary metric that captures the overall closed-end fund universe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BWG

Comments

• Yes- upcef and upceft for total return. For example in Yahoo Finance- ^upcef , ^upceft

http://www.ftportfolios.com/retail/index/index-cef.aspx
  • Reply to @MOZART325: Thanks! This is what I was looking for. Now, to try to figure out how to get premium/discount information for the indices....

BWG
  • Barron's publishes the Herzfeld indices every week in the CEF data section. The equity index measures only 15 funds, however. The discount-premium index is worthwhile. That chart shows that on the whole, CEFs experienced big increases in discounts at the end of 2012, but they have since recovered.
  • Reply to @BenWP: Thanks...this is really helpful. I am curious to see how the discounts/premiums on the index have changed over time.

BWG
  • edited March 2013
    if you are looking at a specific CEF, check out the z-score on morning* or 'pricing' tab on CEFconnect.com (again, for a specific name).

You'll find, as should be expected, that equity cef's are priced relatively high (discounts are lower) while fixed income cef's are priced more moderately to their own recent history (premiums are lower), and muni cef's have been desimated -- lowest discounts in a 3-5 year period for some.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Thanks...i'm looking for a broader metric -- an index that covers multiple funds.

BWG
  • Reply to @jonathan: Thanks,

BWG